220834 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Saugerties, New York (Air Miles)
Cafe Tamayo
Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome
Le Canard Echaine
Bear Cafe
Beekman 1766 Tavern
Sams Club 801 Frank Sottile Blvd (Located To Zip)
601 Frank Sottile Blvd
2014-09-08 21:27:40
Saugerties, New York
June 2012

June 2012
The entrance from either direction from RT 32 is a hairpin turn that we barely made, then a sharp uphill climb in the reverse direction to the office. The bathrooms were very run down and dirty. This is NOT a good location for any Class A and especially not a big rig. All the roads are hills with tree roots growing through them. All the sites are sloped except the ones the full-timers have. There is a pool and a playground. We camped here in a Motorhome.

yes (Stream)
yes  question  yes  yes  no  yes  yes  yes  question  yes
yes  question  yes  yes  no  question  yes  yes  question  yes
We drive at least six hours, two times a year, to stay at Rip Van Winkle Campgrounds. This is, by far, our favorite campground. The place is very well maintained by management and staff who really make you feel at home -- they will go out of their way to make sure you are having the best camping experience possible. The property is wooded and you feel secluded with privacy on each and every site. Our favorite site is in the section they call "The Ledges" which gives us a huge site with a large cliff face in the back that is all ours. There are so many more beautiful sites, but we come back to this one every time. There is a fishing pond and a stream/river that runs through the property and the vast property offers lots of trails and forest for exploring. There is an old fashioned swimming hole on the stream with a rope swing and a small beach which seems to be a gathering place for many. For those who need bathrooms and showers, they have them and they are spotless. How can they not be when they are checked by staff on a regular basis all day long? There is so much more I could say about Rip Van Winkle, but I don't want to spoil all of the surprises for others. I will only add that there is no place like it. I know you will enjoy your stay. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
We overnighted here on our way home. It was pouring when we got there and our site flooded a bit, but it had dried up completely the next morning. A walk around the campground revealed a very nice swimming hole, a large clean pool, and some beautiful, large sites. The tent sites along the stream are particularly nice. I would make a special trip to camp here again. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
The campground is heavily wooded, and the sites were large with lots of privacy. We had a lot of rain and the trees prevented the camp from drying out, but the drainage was very good. We didn’t make use of all of the facilities, but after looking around, everything seemed to be well maintained. The showers were .25 for 8 minutes, but were usually generous with the time. They were clean with plenty of hot water. We will put this place on our return list. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Rip Van Winkle Campground

yes  question  question  question  question  yes  question  question  question  question
question  question  question  question  question  yes  question  question  question  question
We have stayed here many times over the years. Staff (owners) are very friendly and always willing to help. Everything is well maintained. They do not accept seasonals which is a big plus for us. It is a very easy on/off the New York State Thruway with gas stations and plenty of places to eat around. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Very pleasant CG in a wooded setting. Owners are very nice and pretty much run the place by themselves. Roads and sites are gravel and have a few rough spots but not too bad. We were shown to our site and it was easy to maneuver our 40' MH even with the toad attached. We had a pull-through and getting in and out was not a problem. The dense tree cover makes satellite reception difficult except probably in the spring before the leaves come out. There was free cable but we didn't bother with it. We were able to stream video on Verizon 4G without difficulty although we have a Wilson Sleek which I think made a difference here. The CG is an easy couple of miles from the interstate. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Nice Park! Very friendly people and nice facilities. As a "big rig" I was happy they had sites for 40' + and would highly recommend. I was in spot 35 and I wouldn't recommend that for beginners, of which I am. It's going to be hard to get out of this spot;, I will need some help. The wi-fi is good, the electrical service is fine, NYS water is nice, all good. The downside to me was that these spots are very close together. I know many RV parks are like this but that, and the difficulty of the pull-through being a true pull through, is the reason I rated this park an 8 and not a 9. For families with kids, I bet they would love all the facilities here for kids, it's really well set up for children. We are here at the beginning of the season and the leaves are just starting to show. It really is a beautiful park and one I will return to but I will be more careful about spot selection next time. Also, this is a popular park, make reservations early! We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Saugerties / Woodstock KOA