Nearby Schroon Lake, New York (Air Miles)
Friends Lake Inn

1   1   10   8   6   3   6   5
question  question  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  yes
question  question  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  yes
August 2012
We have a 32 ft RV and were told they could accommodate us. We checked in at the office which was quite rustic. They had very few items in their make-shift store. On a busy weekend, only ONE person working and had to wait 15 minutes to be checked in. Although, I confirmed the reservation, they didn’t have me down for that night. We noticed the roads were narrow and the trees were in bad need of trimming. The further we drove, the street became more like scraped paths and harder to maneuver. The sight began to look like an old RV graveyard occupied with permanent dwellers down on their luck. One hairpin curve after another required us to make several attempts at stopping and backing up in order to angle through. We finally arrived at our spot which was very difficult to maneuver. The site was just trees cut down with tree stumps left to contend with. Again, close and low hanging trees were obstacles. Once in we realized that the “full hookup” was obtainable but not near our RV. The sewage connection was about 25-30 feet away under a rusty can. The electricity was closer but still took ALL the wiring and the water pipe required 2 hoses. The loud PA system played country music until about midnight. Wife slept with the grandchild while I slept closer to the door. Did not feel safe We decided to leave the next morning and request our remaining nights pay be returned…didn’t happen. On our way out, the 5th wheel in front of us struggled to leave and in so doing swiped a tree with his hitch, ripping the carrier and hitch off. I do not recommend this campground to anyone We camped here in a Motorhome.
June 2011
This was probably our worst campground experience yet in our 8 years of full timing! We had reservations for two 40 ft motorhomes. When we arrived, the lady immediately came out and directed me to my "site". There were so many trees I wasn't sure where she intended me to go. She led me so tight against a tree I had to unhook the toad and back up. There were so many mosquitos it reminded me of Alaska (only worse). Camouflaged in the treetops was a cable just high enough to take the MaxAir vent off the top of my coach. The gal directing me into the site never indicated there was a low cable overhead. My friend in the other coach climbed on top of my coach and lifted the cable so I could back out without taking off the air conditioner or satellite dish. The campground staff offered no help or apologies, so we both left the campground without hooking up. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2010
We arrived in October and what a pleasant surprise to find staff that was very friendly and helpful. When we booked the site the owner was very helpful and gave us lots of information about the Schroon Lake area. He said if we needed anything he was only a phone call away. The river was gorgeous and the sites were very nice also. They were under large pine trees that kept us shaded during our stay. The staff made sure if we needed anything they would help us right away, which they did many times. The bathrooms were brand new and super clean. This campground was very quiet during our stay and the other campers were all very nice, not trashy like other reviews say. This is a great family campground and pet friendly which was good for us as we have gone to many other parks that don't allow pets anymore. There was lots to do with our kids! We will be back in 2011! We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Medcalf Acres Riverfront Campground