Nearby Surf City, North Carolina (Air Miles)
Topsail Island
Lanier's Family Campground
2014-08-29 18:16:34
Surf City, North Carolina

yes (River)
question  no  yes  question  yes  question  yes  question  yes  question
question  no  yes  question  yes  question  yes  question  question  question
I am so sorry I booked this place over the campground down the road. It's 90% permanent and of those it's about as hick as it gets. The sites aren't even sites really, grassy areas with hookups. And it's LOUD. Shame being right on the water. If you like mullets, old trailers decorated with various patchwork tarps in a CG with sites that are lumpy slots in the grass, and enjoy things like the Saturday night cruising the circuit in golf carts making enough noise so it's hard to sleep, then this is the place for you. If you have ever dreamed of living in a run down trailer park, with all the horrible clich├ęs come to life that come with it, then this is your place. Otherwise book elsewhere. We actually left here and went to the other campground. Easily the worst placed we have ever camped. We camped here in a Motorhome.
December 2012
Camp sites: We stayed in site W1. We arrived after hours and were told to use site W1B. We were unable to do so because W1B had dirt stockpiled in the site and was within feet of the large maintenance shed. We had to relocate ourselves and W1 was close and nicer. W1 is a fairly level, but small site. I parked my tent trailer within two feet of the shore connection and the awning on the door side reached clear to the neighboring site shore connection. A larger unit in this site would not fit. I would estimate the campground is three quarters filled with permanent units, but these have seasonal residents. The campground seems to cater to these residents. The sites available to those of us that are not permanent are clustered amidst the permanent units. Staff: The staff did not go out of their way to be helpful. The couple checking in before us did not have a reservation and they were given a phone number for another employee who was on vacation and told to call them to figure out which site they could use. When I wanted to top my propane tank with fuel, I was told that I would be charged for a full tank fill up even though I had about a half a tank remaining. I went elsewhere to fill it up after leaving the campground. Bath House: The bathrooms did not appear to be cleaned daily even though the sign said they are cleaned daily. The toilet paper ran out and was not refilled the last three days we stayed. The men restroom was locked and was not open for our entire stay. I used the family restroom. Amenities: The park playground was interesting, but nestled between the two busiest campground streets with no real barriers to keep kids in or cars out. The laundry was locked and I had to ask for a the staff to open it. They do have a boat ramp, but I did not look at this. They do have a pool, but this was closed for the season. The park is gated and key cards with a $15 refundable deposit are provided for access. Internet Wi-Fi is available within 50 feet of the office. General Comments: Dogs are welcome and lots of people walk them frequently, it was very much a dog parade up and down the park streets. Cats are welcome as well and they run freely throughout the park. Some sites have views of the waterfront, but not all do. The land is graded so that in a rainstorm, standing water up to six inches or more puddles in many of the sites. We do not plan to return to this campground and actually cut our trip two nights short because of our dissatisfaction with the campground. A refund was not available. The reason given was listed on a sign at the desk and reiterated by the staff. It said that camping is an outdoor experience and refunds are not available because of effects of nature. We camped here in a Tent Trailer.
April 2011
Very convenient to fishing piers and golf courses in the area- well kept campground- we recommend you stay here when you're in the area. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Lanier's Family Campground