206515 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Surf City, North Carolina (Air Miles)
Topsail Island
2012-12-30 10:21:30
Surf City, North Carolina
December 2012

yes (River)
no  yes  question  yes  question  yes  question  yes  question  question
no  yes  question  yes  question  yes  question  question  question  question
December 2012
Camp sites: We stayed in site W1. We arrived after hours and were told to use site W1B. We were unable to do so because W1B had dirt stockpiled in the site and was within feet of the large maintenance shed. We had to relocate ourselves and W1 was close and nicer. W1 is a fairly level, but small site. I parked my tent trailer within two feet of the shore connection and the awning on the door side reached clear to the neighboring site shore connection. A larger unit in this site would not fit. I would estimate the campground is three quarters filled with permanent units, but these have seasonal residents. The campground seems to cater to these residents. The sites available to those of us that are not permanent are clustered amidst the permanent units. Staff: The staff did not go out of their way to be helpful. The couple checking in before us did not have a reservation and they were given a phone number for another employee who was on vacation and told to call them to figure out which site they could use. When I wanted to top my propane tank with fuel, I was told that I would be charged for a full tank fill up even though I had about a half a tank remaining. I went elsewhere to fill it up after leaving the campground. Bath House: The bathrooms did not appear to be cleaned daily even though the sign said they are cleaned daily. The toilet paper ran out and was not refilled the last three days we stayed. The men restroom was locked and was not open for our entire stay. I used the family restroom. Amenities: The park playground was interesting, but nestled between the two busiest campground streets with no real barriers to keep kids in or cars out. The laundry was locked and I had to ask for a the staff to open it. They do have a boat ramp, but I did not look at this. They do have a pool, but this was closed for the season. The park is gated and key cards with a $15 refundable deposit are provided for access. Internet Wi-Fi is available within 50 feet of the office. General Comments: Dogs are welcome and lots of people walk them frequently, it was very much a dog parade up and down the park streets. Cats are welcome as well and they run freely throughout the park. Some sites have views of the waterfront, but not all do. The land is graded so that in a rainstorm, standing water up to six inches or more puddles in many of the sites. We do not plan to return to this campground and actually cut our trip two nights short because of our dissatisfaction with the campground. A refund was not available. The reason given was listed on a sign at the desk and reiterated by the staff. It said that camping is an outdoor experience and refunds are not available because of effects of nature. We camped here in a Tent Trailer.
April 2011
Very convenient to fishing piers and golf courses in the area- well kept campground- we recommend you stay here when you're in the area. We camped here in a Motorhome.
October 2010
Sites very tight. Unfriendly staff and owners who don't care. Mostly park models and seasonal, roads not well maintained. Bathrooms and laundry locked at all times. Laundry had note on door, Closed. When I asked they said "Well if you have to use it, we can open it". Dog owners walk their pets anywhere, allow them to bark at all hours and don't pick up after their pets. Also big sign at check-in advising of recent thefts of things left out over night. No cable TV. Rate was for water and electric (50 amp). Only plus, water views are beautiful. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Lanier's Family Campground