Nearby Mandan, North Dakota (Air Miles)
Five Nations Art Museum
Mandan
Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park
2014-07-29 17:59:42
Mandan, North Dakota

Pros:Cheap, full hook-ups in oil boom area. Excellent location, convenient to Mandan and Bismarck. Cons: Getting in there was tricky in my 35' motorhome, but there were bigger rigs in there. You can do it, but I wouldn't say it was friendly. It's not paved. Part of a motel complex, the motel has a bar attached. They cater to mostly transient workers/oil boom folks. They are not anti-children, but there is nothing for kids to do on site. We stayed here about a week. Probably would not return unless we had to. We camped here in a Motorhome.

yes (River)
question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  question
question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  question  question
Some tight spots. We were given a half moon pull through that was mostly level. The roads entering here are paved. It was a good spot for a couple of days to visit the Lewis & Clark exhibits and the Custer home. We were not here on a weekend, so it was pretty quiet. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Rate includes $5 daily vehicle fee. Nice campground. Most of the sites are pull-through, although length, levelness and tree clearance can vary, and many of the hookups are oddly placed. For $6 you can take a guided tour of Custer's house, barracks, commissary, granary, stables, infantry fort (all replicas of 1870s buildings), and Mandan earth lodges. I'd give it a higher rating, but partiers often blare obnoxious music on the nearby sandbars in the river until the wee hours and there's nothing anyone can do about it. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
The roads into the camping area are all paved. This is the first campground that we have been to that has two-way traffic, which made initial entry into the camping area a little tight when another unit was leaving as we were entering. Our site was not very level and was extremely difficult, due to trees, to park in. This is a double site, but there is a problem with the electrical outlets. There is only one box with the choice of 30 or 20 amp. The camp host was really nice about the challenging situation as were our neighbors. We were able to work it out between us, but if we had both needed 30 amp, it would have proved problematic. It was raining when we arrived and our motorhome started sinking down on one side. We place wood under our levelers which helped with the problem. During a break in the rain, we walked around the campground and notice that some of the sites were flooded. While the restroom area was fairly clean given the rainy situation, I can only give the showers a "C" for cleanliness. While it appears that the shower house is fairly new, it really needs a power washing to remove the grime, grit, trash, & mold around the bottom of edges of the stalls. On the positive side, the park is really beautiful and the museum one of the best I've seen. Be sure to visit the Mandan Indian Village located on the grounds. There are numerous hiking and biking trails, but it was too wet for us to try any of them out. For younger children, there is a beautiful playground. I enjoyed watching the deer and rabbits walk around the campground. Fishing is permitted at this park. We would return, but would strive to get a single site on the east side of the campground. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park