219007 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Sandusky, Ohio (Air Miles)
Sports City
Sandusky
Crystal Rock Campground
2014-08-22 13:43:59
Sandusky, Ohio

yes  yes  yes  no  question  question  question  yes  question  question
yes  question  yes  no  question  question  question  yes  question  question
We stayed here 5 nights during the 4th of July holiday. It was crowded but we had no problems with any noisy campers. Even though there were a lot of campers, the restrooms were very clean during our entire stay. Yes, there is some background noise from the highway but for us it served as "white noise" in the background. We also brought our own fan for the cabin. So between the highway noise and the fan we slept soundly at night and could not hear what was going on at any other campsite. Our cabin was spotless also. I did bring bug spray just in case. We also brought an extension cord and 6 prong outlet as there was only one outlet in the cabin. We also brought our own small mini fridge. I recommend bringing all of the above equipment to make your stay enjoyable. The pools were well maintained and while we were there they were installing a new brick walkway and putting in some lovely flower beds. The only negative about the park is that there is an area behind the office, and spilling over into unused sites, of just plan junk! They have old RVs, bits of metal, concrete, etc in a visible area. They could improve the park setting greatly by having a fenced in area of their construction supplies. People do not want to look at that and that is a shame. If they cleaned that area up a bit they would get a higher rating. We camped here in a Campground Cabin.
We stayed here 4 nights in August. This camp is located within a few miles of the shores of Lake Erie and The Cedar Point amusement park. It is a camp people come to because of what it's near, not for the campground itself. Our $44 back-in lot nightly rate reflects the camp's location, not its amenities. The campground itself is clean, well kept. Spaces are tight together, but I've seen tighter. WiFi reported that it was present with an excellent signal, but connection speed was as always as disappointingly slow as an old dial-up connection. I was able to use my private 4G hotspot without problem. Treed lots made for a pleasant, wooded, atmosphere, but satellite TV was out of the question, and no cable access in the area where we camped. Pull through spots were available at $66 a night, but were no wider than back-in spots, so other than being “pull-through”, and possibly offering cable (?), we could not discern why they were rented at a rate 50% higher than back-ins. A big plus for the campground is it is very socially active, there are gatherings and events for campers to mingle. A big minus is most of those gatherings and events take place in a large central pavilion – but the campground does not have access paths to the pavilion, so campers have no choice but to cut through others' campsites to get to the pavilion. The lots were close together as it was, and it quickly became very annoying to have a constant parade of people walking two feet from my chair on their way through my lot toward the pavilion. Were it not for this, I would have given a higher rating. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
We arrived after dark and were assigned the first site past the office. The site was next to a falling down Park Model and had an old utility trailer half parked on it. The site was a literal mud hole. Went back to office to tell them and they seemed somewhat surprised, but assigned us to another site. Sites are all grass and swampy due to recent rains, but our new site was solid enough to park on. You could see quite a few sites where campers had buried their trailers in the mud and looked as though they had to be towed out. Sites are very close together and set up at an angle which is not marked, leading to confusion when backing in. Showers were outdated, but clean. There are not walls in the stalls, but a bunch of shower curtains attached to pipes separating stalls. This Campground is definitely not a destination park, but tolerable to stay at to go sightseeing, if weather conditions are dry. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Camp Sandusky

no  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  question
no  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  question
We stayed here for three nights. In all fairness, we got the three day ride and slide package with our stay, and spent from opening until close in the park, therefore we didn't spend a lot of time on the RV grounds. The small time we did spend, we found it to be a nice RV park. Lots of room for big rigs, concrete pads, with concrete patios. Well maintained grounds. On two occasions, the bathrooms were not very clean, having towels gathered in the corner, and small amounts of garbage in another corner. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Just about perfect in every way. Great for visiting the amusement park, you can simply walk over to the entrance. We did have Wifi near the office, worked very well. Very well maintained, clean, with friendly helpful staff. We've stayed here before, and will again. Discounted tickets help to offset the fairly high price. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Very nice campground with excellent pool. Also has a nice pier with beautiful views of Lake Erie. Sites are modern with level cement pads. No fenced in pet walk is the only thing that kept this campground from a perfect rating. Walking distance to amusement park. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Cedar Point Resorts / Lighthouse Point Campground

yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question
yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  question
This park was clean & well maintained. Nice game room for the kids. If the park would have been fully booked, the sites would have been too close together and difficult to back into. However, when we were there, it was only about half full, and the owners did a good job of spacing each RV away from being too close to a neighbor. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Clean, quiet, level sites, friendly helpful staff. New owners are making improvements. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
This is a very nice park. Sites have enough elbow room and lots of shade. Utilities worked well, including WiFi which was better than average. Would definitely stay here again. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Crystal Rock Campground

question  yes  yes  yes  question  no  question  yes  yes  yes
question  yes  yes  yes  question  no  question  question  yes  yes
This was our first (and likely only) time at this campground. We chose this place because it offered a variety of cabins. We were hosting a family reunion here and some of our people were non-campers. I started calling on January 2, 2014. I was unable to make contact with anyone until February. My contact person, Patty, was helpful to a degree. I explained what I would need, and I felt relatively confident I would get it. Only after checking in did I realize I wasn't getting what I'd been promised. My people had been scattered to different areas in the campground rather than being across the street from my campsite. We had been given site 110. It had a large grassy area for overflow. I was told my group could use that area to spread out. Instead, all the cars for the park models across the street used it for parking. It made it difficult to have a fire or get chairs positioned for conversation. I expressed a complaint to the office and was told they would ask the other guests to move their cars. That never happened. Our personal site (110) was only workable because it faced the grassy area. Site 109 was occupied by a family member. Our slide outs hung into his grassy area quite a bit. He had very little room to spread out. All the parking pads could use some work. There were large depressions and chunked up areas. The cabins were pretty dingy. I was able to see inside 3 of them. The decor was in desperate need of updating. The family members occupying them indicated that the beds were very uncomfortable, the floors were so unclean that their feet were black after walking around barefooted, and that there was no kitchen table or chairs. There were 2 beat up stools in a cabin that was supposed to sleep up to 8 people. The linoleum in one cabin had a big tear. There appeared to be no real housekeeping crew other than a van with a couple girls in it that would go in the cabin with no visible cleaning supplies in hand, stay a couple minutes, and then leave. At no point did I ever see real cleaning going on. There is one large area that is nothing but seasonal campers. That area was super tight and looked really tacky. The pool area looked clean. The jumping pillow had weird hours of operation. There was a snack shack that we did not utilize. They are getting a hefty price for the place because it is in a large tourist area. The Lake Erie area is really beautiful and I will go there again, but I most likely would not stay at this KOA. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
We visited this campground the day after a rain. The sites are very close together and we had standing water on ours so that we had to jump puddles to get to our truck. Our fire ring was very close to the camper next to us and the fire ring belonging to the camper on the other side was extremely close to us! We were thankful it was too hot for a fire. Branches of tree got caught in one of our slides. Not worth the money we paid. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Pros: Clean showers, paved pads, full hookups, 1 mile from Cedar Point and Lake Erie. Cons: Back-In sites are listed as 40' in length, but are 30', some pads are not even wide enough to get tires on, nowhere to park tow vehicle, except in street. The sites are practically stacked on top of each other, less than 10' apart, closest I've ever seen, just enough room for your awning to come out, very weak Wi-Fi. Not a destination park, but OK for a couple of days to go sightseeing. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Sandusky / Bayshore KOA