Nearby Tremont, Pennsylvania (Air Miles)
Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine
Echo Valley Campground
2014-08-04 21:17:12
Tremont, Pennsylvania

yes (Stream)
yes  question  question  question  question  yes  question  yes  question  question
We used to camp at Echo Valley Campground growing up and always had a wonderful time, even though the grounds were a little run down. For nostalgic reasons my brother, sister and I returned this weekend with our families. What a horrible owner the camp now has. Judy, the current owner was sweet and pleasant talking on the phone, making reservations. However upon arrival we seemed to be dealing with an entirely different person who happened to have the same name. She was rude, unkind, and seemed to want us out of her office in a hurry. I advised her we would have visitors the following day. When they arrived at our campsite, they had barely gotten out of their car when she pulled up in her golf cart asking me if they were my guests. When I confirmed, she turned to them to tell them, rudely, to go to the office to register. They had not even been there 1 minute! My brother bought firewood that was wet and would not burn. We all expect high prices at a campground store, but her prices were beyond reasonable. She controls the wi-fi, selling cards for an hour of usage. (Thankfully some cell phone providers have "hot spots" that will allow shared wi-fi with other people! She also charges 8 dollars for 8 small, wet pieces of wood. We returned home to retrieve forgotten items and brought the firewood we were told not too. After all we live locally! We were accused of having hordes of people coming and going all weekend. We had to rent 2 sites because of the number in our group.We were still charged extra fees for each person in addition to paying for 2 sites. There were a total of 10 of us, plus our 2 guests. We had 5 adults, 3 teenagers, 1 young child and a baby less than 2 years old. My sister's deposit (who charges a deposit?) was not returned because Judy said she was lied to about the number of people camping. She called my sister a liar! Judy was told we had a total of 10 people. 10 people were camping there in our group. What's the problem? We will never go there again. I don't recommend the campground to anybody who expects to be treated with respect, courtesy or appreciation. It's not be granted at Echo Valley, that's for certain. We couldn't even leave without our site being inspected by the"boss lady" herself. Then, because of the conflicts, she made me wait to receive my refund while she checked out another couple who requested check-out after we did. I had to knock on the store/office door to get her attention. She handed me my money without even looking at me. What a mean, rude and disrespectful, miserable individual. Quite a sad way to be for one in a customer service type profession. At all cost, avoid going to Echo Valley. We camped here in a Tent Trailer.
March 2014
If there would be such a thing, I’d give this campground minus 4 stars. The owner claimed that they are a 4 star campground. It is not the case. We will NEVER camp there again. Besides being a dump filled with dirty permanent trailers, we were nickeled and dimed to no end. Never mind the rudeness of the owners. Stay away! The other comments before where so right and I have a suspicion that the good comments were written by the owner. No one in their right mind would like this place. BTW, the bridge at the front entrance is still not repaired and if a long rig comes in, it is VERY hard to make that sharp turn into the back entrance. * There was no water service. It was turned off. There were no frost-free faucets. It is kind of odd, since we had to pay full price and the campground is open all year. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
I guess if I had read the reviews, we would not have stayed here, but it turned out to be not too bad. We were just traveling through on I81 on our way to Virginia and my wife was tired (she does the driving) so we stopped at about 4:30 pm. I called in advance and she told me the main entrance was closed, so we would have to use the back entrance which is a sharp right turn. That is an understatement. We have a 40 ft motorhome, towing a car and there is no way we could make that turn. We had to get straight, unhook and back around onto another road. When we checked in, I mentioned the turn and she said 45 ft motorhomes make that all the time. I would like to see that. She did say there is a place up the road where you can turn around and then come in to the entrance road easy. I wish she would have told me that on the phone. Then I made a big mistake. I asked about the extra charges that they have for WiFi, cable, 50 amp, etc. and she got all upset and told me to go stay someplace else. I would have done that, but my wife was real tired and didn't want to drive any further, so I bit my tongue and signed in. They do seem to have a lot of restrictions. After we were in and my wife had started the washing machine, I read in the brochure, no use of washing machines. Now the plus side. The pull through sites are level and nice, although a little narrow. The hookups on our site, No. 25, were very convenient for our motorhome and it turned out to be not bad for overnight. However, as another reviewer has said, it is not worth $36. We probably would not stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Echo Valley Campground