Nearby Platte, South Dakota (Air Miles)
South Dakota
Platte
Snake Creek Recreation Area
2014-05-24 15:55:45
Platte, South Dakota

9   9   10   8   10   8
question  yes  yes  question  yes  question
question  yes  yes  question  yes  question
Snake Creek State Recreation Area is a rural campsite with full network coverage, waterfront (Missouri River), full hookups, and not ludicrously priced. When we pulled up, there was only one RV near 15 empty RV spaces and us. Behind our spot, the mighty Missouri River which at this point was behind a dam and a mile wide. Our space had hookups intended for a RV to back-in, but I was not going to a miss an opportunity to sit and look out at the windshield. This campground did not have water or sewer, only electric, which is odd but for two days, it would not be a problem. VoilĂ , campsite setup! I loved this campground and this location. I would have feel comfortable staying here for two weeks, settling into a slower pace, with a beautiful view. Perhaps in the future, we will stop here for another stay. Would I recommend this park? Absolutely. Would we come back? Absolutely, I am trying to figure out a way to pass through this part of South Dakota again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
We camped here in a 40' motorhome with toad in the South campground loop area in site 115. We chose the South campground loop over the North loop because of larger sites with more green space between sites, plus it is a newer addition to the campground. Interior roads and pads were asphalt wide and easy to get the bus around in. Verizon cell and MIFI were marginal and could not get satellite signal because of mountains in southwest direction blocking signal. Electric was strong. No water or sewer at sites, but they have a dump station across the street from the entrance. This campground is quite isolated from any close town, so you need to bring your supplies with you. We would use this campground again for a stop over, but not a destination campground. We camped here in a Motorhome.
May 2011
This has become an annual trip for me and some fishing buddies. We have stayed at Buryanek, Platte Creek, and Snake Creek. Not only is Snake Creek the best one of them in the area, but one of my favorite campgrounds I've EVER stayed at. While it's not the perfect family place, perfect for couples, or a fishing camp. SD state parks have huge sites! Most other states would have two to three times the number of sites in the same park area. You must stay here to believe it. We were lucky enough to get a pair of waterfront sites this past stay. Amazing weekend. Get this...at 5:45 each morning as we were headed to the boat ramp we saw the Park Employees pulling in for work!! At 6am one morning there was a Park person checking the bathrooms...on a Saturday!! Kudos to the SD State Parks program. We camped here in a Truck Camper.
Display older reviews for Snake Creek Recreation Area