206561 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Shadehill, South Dakota (Air Miles)
South Dakota
Shadehill
Llewellyn Johns Recreational Area
2012-09-27 16:06:06
Shadehill, South Dakota
August 2012

August 2012
This is a nice little park south of Lemmon on State Route 73 near Shadehill Reservoir. I had the place all to myself although every spot was reserved for the upcoming Labor Day weekend. Pit toilets were very clean. Nice shade trees with level spots all. Only bad thing was I thought we were next to the local dog pound just on the other side of the trees. The next morning when leaving I drove over there and discovered it was the neighbor's hunting hound dogs imprisoned in a chain link enclosure. The slightest anything set them off baying and howling. One evening of that was enough. We camped here in a Motorhome.
July 2012

8   8   8
yes  yes  yes
yes  yes  yes
July 2012
A really nice State Park. The shower and bathroom facilities were spotless and we were almost the only people staying on the park. Through the summer there is a resident manager who lives in a big 5th wheel on-site, and he is very friendly. We were allowed to have a fire and the site manager was able to sell us a couple of bundles of wood. I really liked this location but the lack of sewer hook up and water was a real problem for my wife. The manager did warn us that the place was very busy at the weekend, but through the week it appears to be quiet as a mouse. We were able to dump and wash out our tank on the way out and also able to fill up with fresh water. If you're happy living for a night without full hook up I'd really recommend this place. but the lack of amenities stops me scoring it any higher than an eight. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
June 2011
Very nice State Park Campground located 14 miles south of Lemmon, SD. Long, level, well-spaced sites. Most sites are back-in, only a few are pull through and these are small. Picnic table and fire ring at each site. Nice bathhouse with showers. Small, modern playground for kids. Vault toilers and water spigots are scattered throughout campground. Dump station available when departing. A few campers on weekdays but campground is full on weekends. Weekend reservations needed well in advance. Most campers also tow a boat. Large lake has good fishing and is excellent for water sports. We camped for a week and would return. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
July 2008
This campground is quite open but spacious. There were very few people there while we were there. Not too many trees in each site but because each site is big you still have privacy. We had a path straight to the lake which was nice. Very peaceful and the kids likes wading and throwing rocks. The playground was 1 slide and 2 swings so not very entertaining for the kids. The hostesses cleaned the bathrooms early in the morning so I was shooed out and told to come back later for a shower. Not the best time to clean since some people want an early start and then can't get into the bathroom. All in all it was a nice place. We would go again. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.