219007 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Abilene, Texas (Air Miles)
Abilene Christian Univers
Hardin-Simmons University
465 N Judge Ely
Sams Club?I-20:283A 5301 S First (Located To Zip)
Corley-Wetsel Freightliner 8003038187
2014-08-13 23:58:37
Abilene, Texas

yes  question  yes  question  question  question  yes  yes  question  yes
yes  question  yes  question  question  question  yes  yes  question  yes
Typical KOA. Mostly gravel roads and sites. We had a lot of rain overnight and there was only minimal mud and puddles the next morning. Sites were reasonably sized and more or less level. Decent bath house. Excellent digital cable but the Wi-Fi didn't connect to the Internet at my site. Verizon 4G worked fine. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Great little RV park. Very friendly management. Close to freeway for easy access to travel-friendly Abilene. Looking forward to returning. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
When we stayed here they had just had some major rains, the camp ground was crowded and we had trouble maneuvering because we have a long rig. We had to take up 2 spots, since we are so big, had to park our vehicle in the spot next to us, which could not be used anyway due to mud. Staff, as in one staff person, was totally overworked and panicking due to large volume of people on camp, needed to refer to mgr on every major decision. I think we should have gotten a discount, because the camp was SO muddy, could hardly walk anywhere without getting mud all over. The kids did enjoy the pool though, so that was a plus. Still, it was expensive for what we got and I don't think they should only have one person on duty during the summer - too much stress on that poor thing, but she did do her best but was too insecure to make rational decisions. Must conclude Gen Mgr is not pleasant and wouldn't have approved of her decisions. Overall, it was adequate for an overnight stay. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Abilene KOA

question  question  question  question  question  question  question  yes  question  question
We arrived on a Sunday, which is the owner or mgr's day off. We picked a site and parked ourselves on the front row next to the frontage road and freeway. The traffic noise was noticeable, but not as bad as the u-turn was to get our 40' rig back onto the frontage road and on to the freeway. We had to ask neighbors to get the WiFi code which was fast and good. We didn't use any of the facilities. Most of the sites appeared to be filled with worker bees - as are most parks in Texas right now. It was fairly clean. We probably wouldn't stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
January 2014
The only reason I give them a 3 is that we paid for one week and after 1 night we wanted to leave and we got refunded the remaining nights. Their idea of a dog walk is nothing more than an overgrown field littered with junk and full of sand burrs. We had to carry both of our dogs out of the area as their paws were full of sand burrs; not pet friendly by any means. The real reason we left after one night is we were given a site that is no more than 30 yards from the interstate. The noise was horrible; worst night sleep I can ever remember. I would stay in a WalMart parking lot or a rest area before ever going here again. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
November 2013
Park gets high marks mainly because the gal in the office is so nice. The park is about what you'd expect in Abilene. Gravel roads and sites with few trees, which was OK for us for our roof mounted satellite dish. 3 nights planned turned into 8 due to slide out problems. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Abilene RV Park

9   5   10   5   5   9   7
question  question  question  question  question  question  no
question  question  question  question  question  question  no
We enjoyed our stay at the Big Country RV Park. The sites were very good with excellent hookups. It was nice having an RV supply as part of the park. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
This place is what it is. Convenient to the interstate with gravel roads, good size and level sites. Hookups are well located and easy access. Mine did have muddy area which I promptly tracked into the coach. No office, you just leave your money in an envelope. Host guy did come by and give a friendly welcome and necessary advice. Easy in and easy out. Otherwise nothing to brag about. No patio pad or picnic table. I could not get the Wi-Fi to work, had to go to my AT&T hotspot. There is a RV center next door, didn’t go there so I have no info as to what it has or does. For a one night stop I would return. We camped here in a Motorhome.
March 2014
Price is for 30 amps. Level gravel sites, easy egress. Everything worked fine. This is an RV dealership if you need anything. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Big Country RV Park

question  yes  no  no  no  yes  question  question  question  question
question  yes  no  no  yes  yes  question  question  question  question
We stayed here about a year ago and thought we would try them again since our usual campground in Big Spring, TX was sold and now taken over by oil field workers and quite frankly was a little trashy looking (we stayed there a couple of months ago.) The access road to Buck Creek off I-20 is narrow and deteriorating, on the contrast, Buck Creek's gravel interior roads were in good condition. Buck Creek's WiFi was "broken" while we were here (maybe it hasn't worked in months!) The trashy mesquite trees left when this RV park was carved out of ranch land are in dire need of trimming, we rubbed one of them pulling into our site. (Mesquite trees do nothing but soak up valuable water that other native flora could use and they have no redeeming qualities.) While convenient to I-20, Buck Creek has turned into a permanent resident's camp complete with junky travel trailers. We were in site #24 and adding to our ambiance was the *very* old travel trailer in site #26 with junk, trash, and two vehicles in the site, one of which had a flat tire. Completing the picture were three very annoying dachshunds that were chained outside during the day to dig, do their business and bark at anything that moved. I have nothing against an old travel trailer (it could be a beautiful classic), but this was junk and the owner could care less about her barking dogs or the junk. So sad. Apparently the park's owner(s) and management don't care either. HEAD'S UP: you will find this the norm in many parks in west Texas thanks to the oil boom! We camped here in a Motorhome.
May 2013
There were wide long sites with bathrooms and showers. The staff was friendly and access to the park was easy off I-20. Although we were close to the Interstate, there was no unacceptable noise. We stayed only for one night but we would definitely return if we were in the area. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
May 2013
Very spacious park. Wide, long sites. Laundry room and showers are in 1 small building which really stinks of mildew. Charged $3 extra for 50 amp. No cable, marginal WiFi. Manager has the personality of a log. Cable and access to recreation are offered on the website. Neither are anywhere near this park. Fine for overnight, but I won't bother with this park again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Buck Creek RV Park
21`

March 2014
Dyess AFB just opened their FamCamp last summer. They have 18 concrete pads that are approximately 45' long and very wide. Sites are nicely spaced with about 20' of grass between each one. All roads are paved and it's easy in/out. Each site has full hookups including cable. When I checked in, I was told the cable was out at my site but I think it was just a temp thing. Each site has a picnic table and outdoor grill. There is ample parking and light at night, plus you are on the base with other military & retirees so security is no concern. WiFi worked sporadically, but I got a great signal on my Verizon WiFi. ATT showed 3/5 bars & LTE signal. The camp has a small pay laundry and small shower/bathroom facility. They do take reservations, but the site I was told to go to on the phone was occupied. Luckily, there were two open sites so I got one. I don't think they have tight control on reservations versus available spots and folks are used to just pulling into any open spot at FamCamps. There are 6 concrete pads adjacent to the camp that I presume they use for dry camping overflow. I thought $35 a night was pretty steep given they have no other amenities like playground, pool, dog walk, propane, or camp store. But their weekly rate of $130 seemed fair if you are staying that long. I rated the park lower due to high price and lack of amenities compared to other camps in that price range. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
August 2011

7   5   8   7
yes  question  question  question
question  question  question  question
August 2011
Open blacktop parking lot. OK for overnight. RV area is filled with fulltimers and thus you go to overflow parking lot. It has electric and water. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
June 2010
This is OK for an overnight stop, but it has no amenities. It's just a parking lot with hookups. A deposit is required for the key to the sewer and electricity. Although the VFW staff person was friendly, she did not direct me to the correct location. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2009
Above rate is for "temporary overflow" water & electric; full hookups are $25. Weekly and monthly rates also. Main RV park is on north side of building. 5 water & 50amp electric hookups are along south side of parking south of the building. Check-in at Canteen inside front door. Decent location. We definitely would stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for VFW Post 6873 RV Park