Nearby Weimar, Texas (Air Miles)
Motorcoach Rv
Tt Tx Colorado River 1062 Thousand Trails Ln Columbus (Wo 5/2-9/29) 979-732-8229,Ttnlt
Colorado Landing Rv
(979 968-9465
2125 W Travis
Texas
Weimar
Whispering Oaks RV Park (Formerly Columbus KOA)
2014-09-23 21:47:07
Weimar, Texas
September 2014

question  question  question  question  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes
question  question  question  question  question  question  yes  yes  yes  yes
September 2014
This is a decent park for an overnight. I don't think I'd want to stay for more than a night, though. Keep in mind the trains DO pass by regularly and they DO toot their horns as they travel by. The traffic noise from I-10 was bearable, and we were as close as anyone to the road. That said, the trains were the big distraction. Getting to the park was easy, the interior roads seemed manageable although in the dark of night (when we arrived) it was a little tricky figuring out the traffic pattern. *Hint* look at the park map for traffic pattern tips PRIOR to parking. We were facing the wrong way but all worked out. The sites were fairly level gravel in decent condition and plenty wide and long for our 40' Class A with TOAD attached. The owner/manager was nice on the phone and when we left. There were several full-time residents here but they were no problem. This was okay for two road-weary travelers for a night, but I prefer the park down the road a bit in Flatonia. It was full when we called, however so now we know of a decent alternative when our preferred location is taken. We camped here in a Motorhome.
This is a good overnight stop. I wouldn't consider it a destination stop but there are many things to see in the area. We stopped at another place in Columbus but it was quite a mud pit. The roads are asphalt and the sites are gravel and level for the most part with plenty of space between the sites for awnings and slides. I-10 and a railroad are close. We were outside when the first train went through and we were a bit concerned but once inside with the windows and doors closed they weren't an issue at all. I-10 noise wasn't an issue for us at all. There is a small store that doesn't price gouge like some parks do. The internet was solid but speeds wouldn't let you watch movies or TV shows. We will definitely be back. We camped here in a Motorhome.
February 2014
The campground was clean and well maintained. The roads are paved with gravel sites. I gave this campground a 5 rating because of the frequent train traffic. The train tracks are about 150 yards from the campground boundaries and the trains come through about every 2 hours night and day. The free WiFi initially was good but after 24 hours, we were prompted to sign in again and the "free access" button was gone, with no Wi-Fi password provided by the office. So basically the free Wi-Fi is only for the first day of your stay. Easy on, easy off, except the entrance to I-10 W was extremely short with a 90 degree turn. We felt it was too tight for a 40 ft RV so we drove 7 miles to Weimer TX and got on I-10 there. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Whispering Oaks RV Park (Formerly Columbus KOA)