206669 User submitted reviews online!!
Nearby Clarksville, Virginia (Air Miles)
Prestwould Plantation

8   6   7   6
yes  yes  question  yes
yes  yes  question  yes
August 2012
We stayed here two week which proved to be too long. No Cell (AT&T). Sat. was tricky.. Ranger friendly, Host just so-so. Clarksville was a friendly town with several nice grocery stores. Library served as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Would go back but, for a shorter stay. There are two other COE parks near by on the lake. We camped here in a Motorhome.
May 2011
A COE campground, just off US-15, a few miles south of Clarksville, Va. This is a nice, campground with good paved roads and clean restrooms. Most all sites are at least partially shaded and have tables, fire-rings and lamp posts. Campground has a combination of tent and RV sites, with very few RV sites on the water. Bathhouse is okay. Under-brush is definitely overgrown, blocking most of the breeze and any view of the lake. Ranger was friendly, hosts not so much. We camped for 5 nights, and likely will not stay here again. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
April 2011
I was a little disappointed in this park. I usually stay at North Bend which is located near Boydton but decided to try another COE park on Kerr Lake for a few days. This is a much smaller park with numerous sites located right on the water. A good portion of the water sites have no hook ups but there are a few available. Sites on the water generally have easy direct access and this offers a place to tie up a boat. Kerr Lake is a very popular fishing destination so be prepared for the roar of boats throughout the day. My campsite (57) was located in a nice cove area which limited the boating activity. This would be a great location for kayaking as well and for that reason alone I might try the campground again. The sites are large with plenty of room for second vehicle, RV/tent combo, etc. They are gravel and most are fairly level although I did see some that had a severe slope. It would be helpful if this was noted on the reservation website. Some sites have little privacy between them. I would often have people walking through my site to either access the lake or visit with a neighboring camper. Bad camping manners aren't the fault of the park but it gives an idea of the camper clientele that stay at this park. There are no multiuse paths to walk on and there was only one bathroom available which was some distance from my camping area. There was a bathroom facility much closer but it was closed with no indication why or when it would be opened. I didn't use the facility while here due to the distance. There was a vault toilet located in the area but I opted for the bathroom in my RV. The vault toilet was clean the one time I went in, and it was serviced while I was here. Just a personal preference for me. I missed the multiuse paths. I like to take long walks for exercise but do not like to walk on the roads for safety reasons. The campground wasn't crowded so road traffic wasn't too bad but I think it would be during the season. Overall, this park is okay for a few days and I would try for another section if I return. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Longwood Park - COE

yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  question
yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  question
It's a nice park with well-maintained, but tight roads. Most of the sites are ample in size and relatively level. The bathhouses are generally clean, but not exactly sparkling. I guess we are spoiled by Disney and their pest control regimen, but I found this park to be quite buggy. The other major problem was that there was virtually no cell phone or data service available. This might not be a problem if you're trying to get away from it all. but might be if you want to extend your stay by mixing in a bit of work. All of the staff were very helpful and the camp host was very friendly, as well. Overall, we really enjoyed the stay and will be back. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
March 2013
Very nice park with a great staff. It was early in the season, so many of the sites were closed. There are not very many sites that will handle big rigs, so get there early to get the best sites. The Orange sites are waterfront on the lake and several have excellent views. There is not much in the surrounding area, but this is a great park if you are a boater. There are two boat ramps and a concession that rents pontoon boats. While we did not use a cottage, they appear to be very nice. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
July 2012
We stayed here during the July 4 holiday week ( 3 nights ) in the B-Loop since we wanted a bigger spot. The B-Loop is for up to 35ft rigs compared to the C-Loop. The C-Loop is good for tent camping and small pop-ups up to 30ft, but it's tight. The B-Loop is the green spots, but some of the sites can be tight getting a big rig into since the space is tight for an RV, tow vehicle and boats lining the drive into the loop. The waterfront sites (orange) are in the C-Loop and are only about 10 of them. There's two grocery stores in downtown Clarksville, VA ( 5 mins from the park ). They have a Food Lion and a Dollar General Market that carries most grocery items. There's two big things I did not like about the state park. The first one is the dump station is a long way from both B and C loop. It's on the main park road near near the Visitor Center. The second one is there's no pool and they have no area to swim. They don't allow swimming from the banks inside the park since it's so steep and rocky. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Occoneechee State Park