Nearby Front Royal, Virginia (Air Miles)
Stadt Restaurant
Front Royal
North Fork Resort
2014-10-03 16:25:51
Front Royal, Virginia

question  question  yes  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  no
question  question  yes  question  yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  no
We, myself,son-his girlfriend and my 7,6,2 year old grand daughters camped for the first time at Front Royal RV Campround this past weekend Aug 15-17. The campground didn't fit the description on their website- the hot tub was broken, bath house closed where we were camping, other one was by the office at the opposite end of the campground. Site was small and uneven. There weren't any activities for the girls and there were no other children to be seen, campground had lots of open sites for a weekend stay. For adults only it would be very quiet. We were disappointed and will not stay there again. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
We stayed there a single night as we were passing by. The main attraction was that the owners were willing to allow late-night check-in. The sites were far from level, but we did OK with our auto-leveler in our 37 foot rig. 50 amp power was OK. There was a pool, but we really didn't check anything out. The store had the basics, but some things had no prices, so the owner just made something up (though not unreasonable). We camped here in a Motorhome.
I concur with some of the comments posted by others. This is a former KOA that is run by a couple. I personally had a nice stay here. The owners were very friendly to me. They had limited Wi-Fi and I got my Dish tailgater to work. The issues I had were that the tenting areas did not look well maintained, the fishing pond dam broke resulting in a mud pit, there was trash along the fishing pond trail as well as some tent campsites and the store had what looked like items left by previous campers in it presumedly for sale. It looked like the owners were trying to maintain a large campground by themselves and were not able to get to everything. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Front Royal RV Campground
August 2012

yes (Stream)
1   5   1   9
question  no  question  no
question  no  question  no
August 2012
Warning: Read all reviews. I will add to what was not stated. First a very narrow rough dirt road entrance in a bad spot in the highway. The 82 year old owner was rude and greedy. Wanted extra $3.00 For the towed. Once she found out our holding tanks were near full she refused to let us use her dump station. Said she had just had her septic pumped and didn't want it filled up again. Not to mention a strong odor of alcohol as we conversed. She did agree to give us a refund. We would not recommend this park to anyone. We camped here in a Motorhome.
June 2009
So much potential...shaded sites, quiet stream. And then there was the nasty lady who runs the place and the trashy appearance of the campground itself. When we arrived there was one other camper already there. We were placed right next to them - no option for moving to a more secluded site. Owner/host never got out of her chair when we arrived. Never a friendly wave or 'hello'. Just give me your money - park over there. Campsite wasn't very level, filled with trash and cigarette butts. There was even a sign at the office encouraging campers to burn trash in the campfire. A bit of traffic noise but the deal breaker was the trash and host. We won't be back. We camped here in a Truck Camper.
June 2009
My wife and I have a small class C. We decided to stay here based on the review and the Web site. When we arrived we noticed garbage and leftover food all over a table outside the office, There was so much junk we had to walk around the patio to get to the office. On our way to the office an older lady came out of a trailer beside the office. We asked for a full hookup. She quoted $27 for a mostly grass pad. Then stated that it was a backin. I said ok, we will unhook the towed. She said in that case it would be an extra $3. I said no thanks and left. On our way out we looked at the sites. We are glad we passed this one by. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for Gooney Creek

yes (River)
question  yes  question  yes  question  yes  question  question  yes  question
question  yes  question  yes  question  yes  question  question  yes  question
September 2014
This is a very large resort located on a river. It was easy to access from I-81 and easy to get around in the resort. Our shaded grass and gravel back-in site was not level but with a couple of blocks we were fine. The sites are small but no one were on either side of us during our visit. The utilities worked well and the Wi-Fi was a slow at times. No cable but we were able to pickup a couple of OTA channels and get a satellite signal. The pools were closed but they have lots of basketball, horseshoe, and other courts. If you are not a resort member you can only reserve a spot one week out. It is a Passport America campground. We would stay here again. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2014
The rate reflects Passport America rate. We were in section C and were very dissatisfied. Our RV is 34 feet long and we tow a car. The space was only long enough for the RV, our car had to be parked in the overflow area. The sites were gravel and nothing was done to make them level. A little grading is all it would take, nothing fancy. On the up side the bathrooms, showers and laundry were clean and well maintained. This section also had a fenced in dog park. There were no trees, just an open field with gravel laid out to mark the spot. We camped here in a Motorhome.
My wife and I drove about an hour to check this campground out for possible weekend getaway that was a short drive from home. However we were told that we could not drive through to check out their campground as they were full and they didn't have anyone to watch us. I told her that we didn't need watching just wanted to preview their campground. She was not very pleasant or courteous to myself or my wife. So needless to say we will NOT return and we will NOT recommend this campground as if they can't be courteous to a future customer what will they be like IF we or anyone camps there. NO Thank You. By the way I have done this before at other campgrounds without any issues or hassles. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for North Fork Resort

yes (River)
3   7   8
question  question  question
question  question  question
September 2014
This is a very plain Jane park with only a few sites that all back to the river. Pads are gravel, barely. We arrived in the early afternoon to find no one at the office. We asked someone that was a seasonal camper and he had no idea what we should do. The signage said to call a number and not to pull into a site. We called and two hours later still no return call. We went ahead and picked a site, anyway. Finally someone, not the manager, came by and took our payment although we could not use our credit card as was stated on the web site. The water was also very brown even after running the water for a minute after hooking up. We only stayed overnight although we had planned on a 3 night stay. We camped here in a Motorhome.
September 2012
Maybe just the first 6 sites have 50amp service. The rest are 30amp with some sewer hookups. All have water and all back up on a bank on the Shenandoah River. There is a boat ramp and apparently deep water with a little current that had me concerned about launching a kayak. We had to use 2x6's under the front tires to level and the soft ground absorbed about half of the boards under the jacks of our diesel pusher. The WiFi was strong and fairly fast. About half the sites seem to be seasonal. We camped here in a Motorhome.
August 2010
This campground is off Rt. 66, and there are signs on the highway and off to direct you. We've stayed here twice for a night. It is basically a large grassy area with a line of sites on the Shenandoah River and treed. There is a boat ramp and fishing in the river. Very peaceful and clean. Picnic tables and fire rings. You pick your spot and the owner comes around in the AM for payment. Seem to be some seasonals, but lots of sites available. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.

yes  yes  question  yes  question  no  question  no  question  yes
yes  yes  question  yes  question  no  question  no  question  question
We are here as RPI members and I expected a rate of $10 a night. However, upon arrival I was told that since my rig is wired for 50 amps I had to take a 50 amp site (normally 50 amp rigs have two air conditioners but ours has only one so we do fine on 30 amps) and that it was going to cost me another $5 a night. Then, when I paid with my credit card I was charged another $6. Our $10 a night quickly turned into almost $17 a night. The majority of the campground is in nice woods with a view of the mountains which pretty much surround the campground. However, we found ourselves in the last campsite parked in a small field - at least I was able to get satellite with no problems and we have a big front yard, sadly, there's no mountain view. There are several nice features here: a nice activity center, a big pool, a nifty mini-golf course, a min-chapel that hosts regular church services, and several activities scheduled for the weekend. We’re literally 10 minutes from Skyline Drive and Shenandoah National Park and about an hour from Washington DC. There’s strong Wi-Fi but it’s $3 a day. I’ve opted to stay on my Verizon hotspot even though it’s a weak 3G (and that's using a Wilson Sleek booster). I note that several reviews mention stinky water. We haven’t found that however my external water filter is now very dirty and needing to be changed after just five nights here. I'm giving the campground a 7 overall, but this particular site probably rates as a 5 or 6. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
The advertising of the "Resort/RV Park" led me to believe this would be better than what I actually observed. They messed up our joint reservations and the other party ended up with a very close quarters pull thru away from us. They claimed that our adjoining site was booked but no one ever occupied the site for the two days we were there. The water at this campground is terrible and they don't bother cutting or trimming overhanging branches that damage the trailers. I had to climb up on the roof to push limbs out of the way to extend or retract the slides. They have security but the individuals manning the security booth were older than Moses. One of the permanent guests had a trailer home and was burning green vegetation that smoked up the whole end of the campground we were parked in but no one from security did anything about it. Do yourself a favor and drive on by this campground it looks okay from the road but that's all. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
September 2012
Stayed as Coast to Coast. CC directory showed cable but not available. Brown water. Staff stated it was well water and nothing could be done to correct. Club house is nice. Site was level. We camped here in a Fifth Wheel.
Display older reviews for Skyline Ranch Resort