Nearby Gore, Virginia (Air Miles)
Shenandoah University

8   5   5   4
question  no  question  no
question  no  question  no
May 2010
Our favorite park by far. In the mountains, out of the way and "rustic". Staff are very friendly and helpful and not there to deny anyone a good time that aren't bothering others. We stayed TWICE this summer! We camped here in a Motorhome.
April 2010
The last campground was not our style, so we sacrificed $50 and called around. The Cove had a lakeside rustic cabin for $95 plus taxes per night. So we drove the 15 miles to the Cove. The last 2-3 miles of which is dirt/ gravel, rough roads. Once we saw the lakes and mountains, my 15 year old son and I loved it. My wife was sketchy about the rural nature, as we had gone from the extremes of a campground next to the highway, to out in the middle of nowhere. I've stayed at worse places though. Try the steaks from the little gas station out on the main road (Gore road and Backcreek road). They are from Gore farm and are excellent on a grill. The cabin on site 2 was very, very old, built in 1972, according to the owner. The campground has been in the family since 1950 something. The lakeside cabin was very dirty and in poor condition. As we were 3.5 hrs from home, we decided to go to Wal-Mart 13 miles away to buy a mop and broom to clean the floor. There were stains, leaves and etc. There were mice in the cabin also which freaked out my wife. The view was beautiful from our site and once cleaned up, it was bearable. The showers were kind of disgusting though. There were dirty leaves on floor, no soap dish or place to change. The water was hot, though the doors did not close properly. The crappers were disgusting: essentially dirty outhouses with very old toilet seats. Apparently they don't invest time cleaning anything or invest money fixing up things. This place has SO much POTENTIAL. Nice local RVs. There are 4x4 trails, a gun and rifle range, fishing, hiking and swimming. It is upkeep that is lacking. We had a great time though. We would like to go back with our popup camper instead of staying at that neglected cabin. Owner: if you read this, please fix the place up and you'll have a goldmine. The gun range did get annoying as they shot all day Saturday and Sunday with rifles, pistols and noisy high power guns. Well, if you like it rustic, and laid back: have at it. The owners were very nice and helpful people. It was not so bad after all. We camped here in a Campground Cabin.
June 2009
I'm struggling to pick a rating here. That's because if you are looking for very rustic secluded drive-in camping, then you will find what you are looking for. This is an ideal campground for those with 4x4 truck campers because you can access the more remote sites. The roads in the campground are not the best. Forget big rigs. If you want an electric site, they are mostly located in a very muddy open field with little to no privacy or shade. I didn't want to even go near the restrooms, let alone use them. They could have been fine for all I know but very out-house looking. I think the main attractions at this campground are winter snow tubing and 4-wheeling. The camp has the appearance of a huge public campground and I thought stuff was pretty well marked, only without the rangers and without... well... without any campers. And it was because of that reason we left early and didn't stay. There is just something a little bit terrifying about being the only camper in a campground like that. I will just forewarn you that my biggest complaint was that we were there for hours and didn't see a single person. Maybe the winter is their busy season but summer evidently is not. I would give it the benefit of the doubt had it not been for the mud, lack of mosquito control near the lake, and the camp office had a lot of rubbish odds and ends strewn about outside. The most disturbing of which was a bowl of what looked like dog food just sitting out there long after the office was closed. This is a good way to summons bears and bears are the last thing on Earth I want to see when I'm camping all alone in a very remote mountain area with no cell phone service (Verizon). This could be exactly what you're looking for, but definitely not for us. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Display older reviews for The Cove