Nearby Montebello, Virginia (Air Miles)
Wintergreen Ski Area
Montebello
Montebello Camping & Fishing Resort
2014-06-28 00:15:00
Montebello, Virginia

yes  yes  yes  yes  yes  question  no  yes  yes  no
question  question  yes  yes  yes  question  no  yes  yes  no
I took the Blue Ridge Parkway - VA56 to get to this campground from northern Virginia. The parkway was a pleasant drive even though they were repaving sections of it. If your GPS suggests that you turn left onto some shortcut side roads before you hit VA56 DON'T. These are very narrow forest service roads with huge drop offs. If you meet someone half way, one of you will have to backup. I only had to drive 3 miles on VA56. It was winding, narrow and was constantly going uphill or downhill. The general store where you check in and get supplies is on the north side of the road while the campground itself is on the south side. I was talking with a lady who was a member of the family that owned the campground. Among the things she told me was that they have RV's up to 40 feet stay there. I found that amazing as the road coming to the campground was bad and I thought the sites were a bit small. She also said that her father worked for the park service and opened the campground after he retired. I asked if this was a former forest service campground because the sign looks just like a forest service sign. She said her father made it that way because he liked the FS signs. This is the first campground that I have been to where I saw no class A RV's. I only saw travel trailers, 5th wheels, tents, pop ups and one other class C RV besides mine. They have two ponds, one within the campground for catch and release (I caught 1 Sunfish!) and a trout pond at the entrance where you can fish for free but have to pay by the pound for the fish you catch. The rest room and general store were very nice. The only short comings that I saw were that there is no cell service, no Wi-Fi, no cable and satellite dishes don't work due to the massive trees within the campground. My site was not quite level and everything (picnic table, water, electric and sewer) were on one side and spaced out. So in order to make most things work, I had to forgo sewer and use the dump station when I left. However, I had a very relaxing weekend here and would return. We camped here in a Motorhome.
Nice quiet wooded site with easy access. Park is very clean and well maintained. The staff was very helpful. Very relaxing! A few miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Note that there is no cell phone coverage or wireless access. Not a problem, but something to be aware of. So, if you every want the perfect spot to get away from it all and chill out, this is it! We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Two items of concern: (1) Tree hazards exist in this campground. Old, tall pines with dead branches, one tree totally dead, others unhealthy. (2) Beware reservation cancellation policy. A $10 fee against credit card for cancellation for whatever reason, no matter how far in advance cancellation is made. When cancellation is made within a week of planned camping, a charge of first night camping is charged. Best to check campground website for unreasonable policies. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
Display older reviews for Montebello Camping & Fishing Resort