Nearby Warm Springs, Virginia (Air Miles)
The Homestead Ski Area

8   10   9   8
yes  yes  yes  yes
yes  yes  yes  question
November 2011
If you want an escape from phone, TV, etc then this is the place. Only one radio station available. It was difficult to find a site that I could level out. Had it been during the busy season I would not have been able to change my spot. This was definitely off season with less than 5 campers there. Only one campground open. Hunting season open and Forest Service employee recommended to not go into woods without bright reflective clothing. Lake level is down almost 20 feet but there were some boats out there. I felt too isolated after 4 nights and left one day early. Nice facility but because of isolation I will probably not return. We camped here in a Motorhome.
August 2011
If you're looking for relaxation this is the place (no cell service)! Bath houses were rebuilt last year with an improved layout. Several spaces are large enough to fit the trailer, boat and two pick-ups, though it is a little tight. I wish more spaces had electric and water hook-ups, but otherwise you can't beat it. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.
July 2010
We stopped here overnight on our way to Kentucky. Very narrow access road (no shoulder, steep bank on one side). Site wasn't very level but we were able to get the camper level. Nice, clean showers. Very pretty area. We camped here in a Truck Camper.
Display older reviews for Bolar Mountain Campground
May 2010

May 2010
This is one of many primitive campgrounds located in the George Washington National Forest. A one-lane gravel loop with thirty back-in sites with mostly level gravel parking pads. Self registration, no hookups, no showers, vault toilets, heavy woods, most campers seemed to be locals, very quiet and rustic. There is a dump station located near the exit. A number of water faucets are located around the loop but you may hold up the minimal traffic here as you fill your water tank. Water was brown and a notice said it was borderline safe for consumption. We used this place for an overnight stop although it is a forty-five minute drive north from I-64 over narrow and steep winding roads. Best to stay a while and enjoy the hiking and fishing in the area. I would have given a higher rating if the water quality had been better. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.