Nearby Kearneysville, West Virginia (Air Miles)
Charles Town Race Track
2012-07-03 06:38:04
Kearneysville, West Virginia
June 2012

June 2012
We stayed at this campground due to convenience (location for a family event). Price $30 a night (no credit cards, only cash or check). Here is the run down: Positives are as follows: • Price - $30 a night – for electric/water & sewer (can’t beat the price) • Location – 10 minutes from Martinsburg, from interstate 81. • Big pull through sites • Staff – very friendly – we liked the manager a lot – when our A/C kicked off due to heat, and we had to leave the campground for our family event, and he agreed to stop by our camper to make sure the A/C kept running since we had 2 dogs in the camper. • There is a small stream behind the campground – I think they call it Opequon river. The water looked clean and flowing nicely and you can walk under the new route 9 bridge, but I can’t see anyone fishing from the river banks - they are too high and the water seemed too shallow. I wish we could have heard it at the camper – it would have been soothing. Negatives: • No swimming pool • No playground • No cable • No Wi-Fi • Several permanent trailers but no one bothers you and the staff tries to move you to a non-residential section. I think it is a lot of space for a 40 site campground – surprisingly – we had a huge yard area. • No bathhouse, you will need to use your own camper for showers and bathroom. They have something being built that looked like a bathhouse but it was not done. • Right beside new interstate 9 east/west and you hear the traffic when you are outside the camper, and even inside if a tractor trailer or emergency vehicle passes. • If you like scenery and nice landscape at your campground, this also might not be your cup of tea because they have equipment lying around the building under construction. Bottom-Line: • We would stay again, due to location and price and staff. It is more of a one-night stand to pull into if you need to stay overnight somewhere when you are tired. • Also, it is a little hard to find. Take the exit off the NEW route 9 for Opequon LANE (it is important that you look for LANE on MapQuest, not “road” or “drive” because MapQuest will take you to some God awful location if you look for a “drive” or “road”. • When we stayed, Friday and Saturday (last weekend in June 2012) a tornado hit Martinsburg, WV and our camper had the electric awning ripped completely off. This was of NO fault of the campground, but I think being out in the open field like environment didn’t help when the 85 mph wind rolled over the bridge and up to our camper. We were not there when it happened or we would have rolled our awning in before the storm. The manager cleaned the down trees up very quickly. They do try to keep it a fairly decent place. • Lastly – this campground is NOT that bad, so I hope that is not the picture I have painted. This is not really a place to have your summer vacation, however, they need to advertise more – a website, add some pictures of the BIG sites, advertise price and location and then once the bathhouse is in, perhaps invest in a pool and I think business would improve drastically. Again – we would stay again, probably next year for the next family gathering. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.