Cottondale, Alabama

Cottondale, Alabama

5001 Jvc Rd
Cottondale, Alabama 35453

Elevation: 302' (approximate)
  • Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • Free WiFi Free WiFi yes
  • ATT, Verizon Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers ATT,Verizon
  • Meeting Rooms Meeting Rooms no
  • Walking Trail(s) Walking Trail(s) no
  • Recreation Room Recreation Room no
  • Hiking Hiking no
  • Horseshoe Pit Horseshoe Pit no

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $29.00

Have stayed here several times before always as just a decent and convenient overnight stop. There are 2 sides - East and West. West is the side where you check in and East is across the highway. We have always stayed on the East side until this time. This time we stayed on the west side which is full of people that live there full time. Never again. Residents were rude and worst of all - let their dogs run loose and crap any place they want to - including our site. I have dogs - I walk my dogs on a leash, I clean up after my dogs and I do not appreciate people that feel that because they "live there" that they do not have to follow the rules. There are not many places to choose from in that area for RV parks so I will probably be stuck staying there again but I'm certainly not looking forward to it. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Motorhome.

West side front row

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $32.00

Nice enough overnight stop in Tuscaloosa. Pull throughs are across the street and have level gravel full hookup sites w/cable and wifi. Both worked great on our visit unlike some other reviews. Easy on/off from I-20. You do have to pull into the original campground on the other side to register and circle around back to the exit. Would stay again. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $36.00

Very, very basic park. NO frills. concrete pad with weeds/grass. very close. Since for an overnight. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Motorhome.

Concrete, Grass

Just a nights stay passing through.

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $35.00

There no customer service. They say they supply cable and WIFI. Neither have worked since I've been here and I've called the office countless times and get the same we'll have to call someone or I've ordered the parts and I hate to change distributors ( if my distributor couldn't get my parts to me in two months I'd change) or let me not pay the 410.00 or 425.00 for a couple months I bet theyd make me change. Now everyone of them are very polite as they tell you all this but I'd rather them tell the truth rudely. The power pedestals are duct taped and most connections are broken and most of the lights on them are out. Sewer connections need work -you just stick it in - no way to secure it. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Travel Trailer.

If you like BBQ Dreamland McFarland west HWY 82 McFarland exit turn left go thru 3 lights pass McDonlds on left take next left you wiggle up hill for a minute or two second stop sign turn left(there's a church there at that left you'll see Dreamland on left. The best burger in town is at a place called Cookout on 15th st take 20/59 west then HWY 82 Mcfarland exit turn right get into left lane to 15th street turn left it's on right about 1.5 miles.

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $32.00

Stayed in the large gravel parking lot across street from office. Everything worked fine (didn't try wifi as we have our own). The sites for transients are a little strange in that two sites use the same pedestal, which means your door faces your neighbors door. Works fine for a few nights. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Ask the office how to get to Dreamland if you like barbeque. Very good but only serves ribs and sausage with a few sides.

Date of Stay: November, 2016 - $29.00

Stopover going to coming from Branson. I stayed in the park across the street from the main yard both times which was very convenient because I had a drive through and didn't have to drop my toad. No bath and showers on this side but the cable water pressure and power were good. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Motorhome.

Perfect stop for a one night layover.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $32.00

Know before you go. After checking with RV Park Reviews we made reservations at this park because it had the highest private park rating of 6.7. However upon arriving and paying we were sent to their sister park called Avalon which has a 3.7 rating. We were on a gravel dusty parking lot without any amenities in a bad section of town. We would have been better off at Flying J which is at the same exit. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Motorhome.

open parking lot

Asked which RV lot you will be put in. This Sunset Travel Park owns 4 parks in the area that have much lower ratings.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $33.00

This is generally used for the tailgaters during Crimson Tide football games, however we were there during a bye week for work. We stayed 3 days and found it to be super clean, super convenient to Tuscaloosa/Birmingham area and very quiet. We had a pull through site right behind the main building and no issues while there. I have seen other review sites give this place low grades, but as a full timer who visits lots of parks, this was really nice. It was Sunset #2 and there is another across the street. Our park was nearly full, but most of those were seasonal rentals used only on the weekends for football. We had a few others staying while we were there, but not many on our side. We loved our three days there and would recommend staying at this facility. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: September, 2016 - $32.00

This park has two faces, one that is behind the registration office and used mostly by long term campers. This side is carved out of a hill with back-in sites. There are trees and spacing between sites is comfortable. The other is across the road and for folks like me, just passing through and need a place for the night. The campground on this side of the road is flat with a strip of alternate facing pull-throughs and an even longer strip of back-ins. Roads and RV pads are dirt and gravel with a concrete patio and a strip of grass between sites. Spacing is pretty close. Power pedestal, water, sewer, and cable are also on a concrete pad. Great for keeping feet dry when connecting/disconnecting utilities. Position of utilities were such that I had to pull my 5th wheel all the way to the front of the site, unhook the truck and then park it behind the trailer. Even then the site was a little short of getting everything in.

Power was excellent, no voltage drop running two A/Cs, electric water heater, refrigerator and my pile of electronic gadgets. Water pressure was a bit low but acceptable, did not use the cable, wifi was spotty and excruciatingly slow, I ran my jetpack. Verizon signal was mediocre, voice calls would drop a word here and there.

This park fit my needs for overnight and convenient to I-20 without being so close as to notice the traffic noise. But it's overpriced by my measure. I don't really feel I can get my money's worth in the 14-16 hours I'll be here. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Concrete, Gravel, Grass
Not big enough for my 5th wheel

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $29.00

We stayed here from about March 2016 to November 2016. The site was larger than most places, quiet (besides some highway noise) and the gentleman in the office was fantastic, always ready to help when he could. Electric was kind of high but we had two ACs going, especially when it got hotter. The laundry room and machines REALLY need updated (if they haven't already) and no fault to the campground, but Mother Nature LOVES her ants there!! We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Call way before your scheduled trip, especially during football season. Lots of good BBQ places.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $30.00

The RV park is split into 2 seperate sections. The section where you check in is nicely shaded but appears to be for long term residents only. Short term guests get sites across the road where little to no shade exists. The short term park is pretty much a gravel site with a bit of grass and weeds between the sites. Adequate but nothing pretty. Spacing between sites is limited. Pull-throughs park opposite each other so hookups are on a shared island. Good power. Good places in the park and nearby to walk dogs. Close to the interstate and another road so noise is a real issue if you are sensitive to it. Friendly staff. WiFi worked OK. We were here for 1 week. Might stay again. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Motorhome.

Good place to get yummy popsicles in downtown Tuscaloosa. Dreamland BBQ is also good.

ETX

Date of Stay: April, 2016 - $32.00

Great park for an overnight stay. When I called to make reservations, the person I spoke to gave directions to the park and explained the office was closed from noon until 1:30 for lunch. Because of time zone changes, of course that's when we arrived. No problem though. They had a bag for overnight stays full of envelopes for available sites. The outside of the envelope gave site number with length of site. Complete the information on the outside of the envelope, leave a check in the envelope and take the map and cable lineup with you. Just drop the envelope in the mail slot in the office door and your done! Sites for overnight are across the road from the office. The sites are gravel, but have concrete pads on either side of your rig. The 60'+ sites are long enough to keep your towed connected. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $30.00

This park is conveniently located near the freeway and is a great place to stop for the night. The overflow lot is better for overnight guests because the lot is flat and the sites are easy to access. The primary lot is hilly and appeared to mostly be occupied by long-term guests. The water, electricity and sewer hookups worked great. WIFI signal was very weak at the overflow lot and I couldn't login. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: January, 2016 - $29.00

When I called to make the reservation, the gentleman told me that some GPS units do not recognize the address. We went by our Mapquest directions and the gentleman's recommendation and took Exit 76. Campground is located right off of Exit 76. Take right off ramp, go to first traffic light, turn right, park is on the right. You can see it from the interstate. All in all, all was good, but a couple of signs wouldn't hurt. We camped in a travel trailer and would stay here again. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Travel Trailer.

Wal Mart Supercenter and Sams Club within 3 miles, along with several gas stations.

Date of Stay: January, 2016 - $29.00

This is a parking lot with hookups. Neither the cable nor the wifi worked and there is no air signal for antenna either. It's way over-priced for what you get. It's January and we are winterized until we get further south, and there was no shower house and or restrooms in the section where we stayed. They have two sections of the campground separated by a highway. Apparently there are restrooms on the other side of the highway which are not where we are. We would have to walk quite a distance with part of it along a highway (at night) in order to get to the other side. We have stayed at much cheaper places where we got a shower in a heated shower house. When we realized that the cable didn't work, we called the office and got a recorded message so no service either. We camped at Sunset Travel Park in a Motorhome.

There is nothing in walking distance.

Burchfield Branch Park COE

Adger, Alabama

Lake Lurleen State Park

Coker, Alabama

Hoover RV Park

Hoover, Alabama

Birmingham South Campground

Pelham, Alabama

Are you affiliated with Sunset Travel Park ?