7 Good

• Hiking Hiking yes
  • Horseshoe Pit Horseshoe Pit no
  • Lake Lake yes

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $27.00

This park is totally run down and unkept. The sites are not cleaned (cigarette butts in grill and all over the site, dog poop, weeds, poison ivy). The site we were given was long enough but, not wide enough. Our awning if pulled out would have been in the road. Some of the sites had a piece of paper over the electrical box stating there was a problem with it. We paid an additional entrance fee (typical for state parks) however, we had to pay extra for a map of the park with hiking trails which wasn't even correct. We did some hiking in the park and found trash everywhere (in some places it was as if someone literally dumped out a bag of their trash). Very disappointing and we won't be returning! We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Dirt, Grass
Fire Ring

Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $23.00

Beautiful and peaceful, cool nights. Friendly park staff, great Campgrounds even though state funding has been reduced to maintain. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Motorhome.

Mostly Shady, Covered Forested

Campgrounds has a general store as well as gasoline. Walmart is quite a distance so arrive with provisions.

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $28.00

So, upon arrival there is absolutely no where to park if you are pulling a trailer. The main checkin parking lot is tight to turn around in with a 30' TT when empty, much less when full and busy as it was when we arrived. There's an extra shoulder before the buildings, but if you don't know it's coming you'll miss it and have no options left! They really need to figure out some camper parking for checkin! Something with pull-thrus, there is a good spot right in front of the store that would work great. The campground (lower #2) is in some disrepair. They gave us a gate code which was funny because the gate has clearly been missing for quite some time. The road up into around around the campground needs some repaving. The sites are pretty level, BUT - they are all worn down so far that the sewer hookups stand taller than your trailer connection point! There's no other dump site available that we saw, so unless you get one of the few sites that isn't as worn down you'll just have to figure it out. Campground had WiFi, but it didn't work the whole weekend we were there. Signal was fine, but no internet. The sites are pretty closely packed together, so don't expect much privacy; although the campers were all pretty nice. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Travel Trailer.

The camp store does have beer and some basic groceries; but there is a really nice Publix in Anniston/Oxford that's worth stopping at for any necessities.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $25.00

The state of Alabama taking money away from its parks to stoke a mismanaged general fund is showing, unfortunately. We stayed here a year prior and noticed a big difference to now. Gravel sites are thinning to dirt, erosion ruts are getting deeper. All need leveling, as this is now a challenge for even smaller RVs. Staff mentioned that they have lost four employees who used to maintain the park. It's beginning to look shabby. However, the park does have some great hiking trails and overlook views. If you live in Alabama I encourage you to vote "YES" on Amendment 2 coming up in 11/16--validating the need for money and the true worth of our natural beauty in the state parks. We will be back to support. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Motorhome.

Not big enough for my motorhome

Poor Conditions

If you have a rig bigger than about 25' I recommend you get a pull through site--33 thru 35 are nice. These are more level than back in sites that are in a real need of regrading and gravel. For all rigs bring extra blocks, as leveling will be a challenge. The staff is trying hard to keep up without state money needed for maintenance and repairs. But, the hiking is terrific and be sure to catch the sunset at Bald Rock, the highest point in Alabama.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $24.00

Very nice park. Campground #1 is hilly and some sites are not too level, but all are partial to full shade. Most have ample space for privacy, but some not. Staff friendly. Campground #2 is a long drive from the main entrance and mountain top, but has a lake and more level sites. Great views from the mountain top, interesting CCC history and museum at the observation tower. Sunset is great at the restaurant. Small camp store, but best to get provisions and fuel before arriving. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Motorhome.

12 CG 1

Bring provisions and have fuel before arriving. Hiking is good, many miles of trails. Uphill/downhill. Rocks and roots on some. Visit the Observation Tower and CCC museum, and Bald Rock. Drive down to Cheaha lake if not camped there.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $28.00

Beautiful park overall. NIce trails! We stayed at the lower campground and the road in the camp was rough but the sites were not bad. The site's fire pit was filled with trash upon arrival but not bad other than that. The bathroom wasn't cleaned in FIVE days, nor the showers. The trash was changed after three days but wow it was nasty to use either the bathroom or the showers. I will hesitate to return there after that. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Poor Conditions

The nearest town worth going to is about a half hour drive, but a nice drive. Go prepared if you don't want to ride that far to town. The town has plenty of places to eat and shop.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $28.00

Stayed in the campground on the mountain top. The asphalt was worn in the campground but not as bad as I expected based on other reviews. There was a few bad potholes coming into the loop but otherwise not that bad. My wife visited the older bathroom and told me not to go in. The newer bathrooms were OK but the trash did not appear to have been emptied recently and the bathrooms needed to be cleaned. Our site was level and was a pull through. We did check out the Tower and walked the boardwalk to Bald Rock. I came to see the high point and do some road biking. Yes, the park is worn and needs some work but I would come back if in the area again. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Campground 1 S-24

Cheaha Mountain Skyway is beautiful. Bring your road bike if you enjoy some steep climbs and fast descents.

Date of Stay: April, 2016 - $28.00

There are two campgrounds - the upper & lower (by the lake). I prefer the upper. There is a one way loop road from the visitor center to access the lodge, restaurant, Tower, Bald Rock Boardwalk trail, cabins & campground. The upper campground road is hilly and has pot holes. The sites are large, most partially shaded. CCC built many of the facilities. The beautiful stone exterior restrooms are very old. There is a newer bathhouse within easy walking distance of sites 12 & 22, so I recommend those sites. The newer bathhouse has separate unisex/family shower rooms. To pick up a WiFi or phone signal, you need to be near the visitor center store. Be sure to take the Bald Rock boardwalk trail and to go up to the Tower. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Motorhome.

Upper site 12

There are waterfall trails in nearby Talladega National Forest at Lake Cinnabee. Ask for trail map at store.

This park has a lodge with restaurant.

Date of Stay: July, 2015 - $29.00

Camp site was filthy from previous camper(s). Our site was a pretty good size, but we noticed several other people having trouble getting into and leveling on their sites. No WiFi or phone service. Could pick up 2 PBS channels, but no cable. Not a problem since we don't watch much TV anyway. Very small lake. We were hoping to kayak, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble of taking the kayaks off the truck. Same goes for biking, since we wanted to road bike. I can't speak for those wanting to mountain bike. Roads are far too narrow and curvy, making it dangerous since it is a main road and not just located within the state park. The nearest town is at least 30 minutes away. That is usually not a problem, but since we were unable to bike and kayak, that left little else for us to do. The staff at check-in was very friendly. However, the hostess at the restaurant acted like we were bothering her by being there. Overall, the park looks like it could use a little TLC. We will not return to Cheaha State Park. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: December, 2014 - $18.00

Beautiful beautiful and did I say beautiful park! We had a group camping trip here with over 30 campers in total and I think everyone had the same reviews! Awesomesauceland! At the time we actually were there September 2014 the bath houses were awful but I hear now they have been redone! The one we were at was a mere 100 feet from our site so I could not complain it was easy to get there and back with no trouble! There are so many hiking trails and biking trails and everyone of them has tons to see! You will never be disappointed in the view from the restaurant. We did use the breakfast bar and that was great I got ours to go! Our site was a bit of a shamble though! Picnic table was concrete and low on one side and super high on the other! No trash pole no grills a nice rock fire ring that was below the camper set up and away from the picnic table! Not all sites were set up this way but many were! We will stay here again. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Some Shade, Mostly Shady

Pricey camp store and general store too!

Date of Stay: March, 2014 - $24.00

Wi-Fi does not work, no cell phone signal. I was there after an ice storm and there was plenty of wood to burn. Clean up had started but was going to take a while. Staff was friendly. After dark check-in was good. The park ranger even comes to campground to help out if needed. Huge up and down hills getting to park. Make sure your rig is in good mechanical shape before going. Smoky Mountains has less steep grades than this place. Great to get kids away from electronics and into nature. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2013 - $30.00

I've been camping at Mnt Cheaha for 30 years. There is a campground on top of the mountain and one at the base. The top campground is where I've always gone, is usually quiet, and the pull throughs have very large sites with a fire ring. Some of the back-ins have large sites and some are on top of the next. But all-in-all is a very nice campground. The one at the base of the mountain is another story. There is a new group running the camps and appear to be trying but has been been completely confused every time I've gone up this past year. One time they told me they could reserve a specific site then the next they couldn't. The last time I was told I had site 34 which is a very nice pull-through. I get there and I'm told that I've been placed in the lower campground. I go to the site and it isn't big enough for my fifth wheel and the door is actually in the road. I ended up moving to a larger site and going back to tell them. When I get there it is obvious they have no idea where anyone is and what is available. The lower campground requires a very sharp left hand turn to go through a concrete entrance. I had to back up twice to make it through and not run over the curb. The sites are run down and when it rains (and it did several times) some of the sites are under water and the road has low places. If you are planning on coming to Cheaha, and I encourage you to, make sure you are at the top campground and not the bottom! We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2013 - $27.00

Rate was 27.50, as we were there over the weekend. During the week, seniors get a 15% discount. Very bumpy paved roads in the campground. The sites were gravel/grass. We had no problem finding a level site, but we're only 22'. Lots of trees and good shade. As others have said, our cell phone and Wi-Fi (Verizon/AT&T) didn't work. Their Wi-Fi didn't work for us either. Pretty crude shower facilities. Lots of hiking trails. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: November, 2012 - $27.00

Park was very busy for Thanksgiving weekend. I found a spot that was fairly level - site 8 in upper level. Roads in the campground are in bad shape and most sites require leveling - some a lot more than others. Some sites are right next to the road so when the vehicles are parked it results in creative driving. W-Fi did not work at all, there was no phone service for Verizon, and the TV channels were limited and usually poor reception. If these aren't high on your amenity list then you'll enjoy the outdoor trails to hike and beautiful scenery. Glad I stopped for a visit but probably will not return. It's just not a destination park for me. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2012 - $27.00

We stayed in upper campsite #4. It is a beautiful site and easily accessible with our 33 ft RV. The sites are gravel and un-level, but two 2x6's under each wheel were enough to level our RV. The shade trees prevented reception for satellite TV, but you can receive PBS channels through the air. The Wi-Fi worked flawlessly. Cell phone coverage at our site was unstable, but it worked in other areas of the park. The bathrooms need cleaning and major renovation. The toilets were not bad, but the showers are moldy. It basically needs a good scrubbing. The views are awesome! Although the park needs some TLC, it is worth a visit. You must see the view from Pulpit Rock and Rhododendrons on the Rock Garden trail are incredible. The lady at check-in was extremely nice and helpful. We will be back. We camped at Cheaha State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Cheaha State Park ?