Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch)

Maricopa, Arizona

860 S John Wayne Pkwy
Maricopa, Arizona 85139

• Casino Casino yes
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch)" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $30.00

We stayed at Wild West overnight, and it was fine for that purpose. Site was perfectly level, hookups worked fine. Good place for an overnight, don't think I would stay here for an extended time. Reservations by telephone are not well managed, but as long as the park is not full it is not an issue. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Travel Trailer.

B

About 10 miles south of Maricopa, which has plenty of shopping and dining choices.

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $30.00

Pictures posted on website are very outdated. The park is very run down and most spots are just gravel parking spaces. Water seems to be an issue as we spent 2 days without it. Sewage backed up in the bathrooms. Activity building looks like it hasn't seen any activity in years. Office looks more like a booze store. WiFi is sporadic at best. Dog feces can be found all over the park. Laundry room had mostly out of order machines. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $24.00

Daily rate is calculated on monthly discount and electric deposit which after a month we have not received our refund. $500/ 21 days = $23.80. Level gravel sites with plenty of width between sites. Although when I called I was told there were picnic tables, we had to ask to have one moved to our site. The clubhouse was locked except when used two nights. The trash dumpsters were at either end of the park, a nice hike either direction. The laundry room was large but several of the washers and dryers were down the three weeks we were there. Maintenance man and office staff were friendly. We didn't use the shower but I wouldn't have because it was located so far from the campsite. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $27.00

Quiet, small campground 30 miles from Phoenix. Large gravel, level sites. Friendly staff, nice laundry, so-so Wifi, great OTA TV. In middle of desert with great walking area & star gazing. Very clean park, nicely landscaped, with lots of improvement work going on. Would certainly stay here again. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

M

Close to Phoenix, Maricopa, Tucson, Casa Grande. A day trip to Tombstone. Lots to do in area. Harrah's Ak-Chin Casino 10 miles away...good restaurants & food here, we are told

Featured Campgrounds Near Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch)

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $14.00

Rate shown is based on a monthly rate of $400 and add to that $81 of electricity. We picked this park partly based on prior comments regarding cookouts, firepit etc. The rec bldg was locked, the fire ring didnt have any wood for burning and there are cement benches for seating. There were no activities. The laundry room always had multiple machines not working. It was marginally clean. About 2X per day there was an overwhelming smell from the feed lots down the road. You don't want to be outside or have your windows open. At other times, there was no odor. When checkedout (Sat) worker advised that only owner or mgr could refund amount left from deposit and they would "send" my refund to me. I insisted I wanted it then as their website indicated immediate refund, so worker had ME call owner who authorized cash refund. Refund was either figured incorrectly, or there were additional charges not disclosed as I had beginning and ending meter reading and was charged more than I should have been. We would not return as there are much better parks with amenities for $400 mo. This rate is too high for what is here. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

pull thru

The nearest shopping is in Maricopa about 15 miles away, or Casa Grande which is about 20-25 miles away. There is nothing nearby. There is a casino on the south side of Maricopa.

Date of Stay: December, 2017 - $30.00

Stayed at this campground for two months. We paid our rent and electric. Very dusty with non-paved roads throughout. There are no activities at this park. The clubhouse was never open while we were there. There are snacks and cold drinks for sale at the office. There's also wine for sale but it looks very old. All went well at this park until it was time to leave. We were unable to get our $100.00 deposit back. We thought it was for electric, but our credit card was charged for both months (without our consent) and the deposit was still a credit. We later found out the park put our site on hold while we were gone for two weeks, and felt we should pay even though we gave it up when we left and started a new rental when we returned. We liked the site we were on and had asked in advance if it would be available when we returned, and the answer was yes. We never asked for it to be held. Our first attempt at communication with owners was met with hostility and disrespect. We have yet to settle with this campground. I would encourage anyone reserving sites here to not use your credit cards, because you may find yourself in a dispute either with rent or perhaps electric fees. We have contacted the BBB in Arizona and filed a complaint. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Sand

Poor Conditions

Situated between Maricopa and Casa Grande - closer to Maricopa. Both cities have all amenities including Walmarts and many places to shop and eat. Ak-Chin/Harrahs Casino and Entertainment Center is 10 minutes away toward Maricopa. It includes a movie theatre. There are dairy farms very nearby and the stench can be unbearable depending on wind direction.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $30.00

This is a family-owned facility. It's in the middle of the scorching desert, but they still have a few trees and some grass where you can walk the dog. Some of the sites have concrete patios. In July when we stayed, all the full-timers had cleared out, and we had the park to ourselves. The store is well-stocked with dozens of craft and other beer at reasonable prices. If I lived in Maricopa, I would go to that store just to buy beer. They have some interesting architecture, and our host was personable and helpful. Their Wi-Fi is good, especially close to the store. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

Close to store

No Others In Sight

Try some of the beer from the store.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $27.00

Wow what a charming park! I am surprised by these previous reviews and can't help but think they are not so honest. We stayed here for a month and next winter when we return, have planned to stay longer. It is against a dramatic backdrop of the desert, and the park itself is landscaped and groomed quite spectacular. There is an orchard in the center with lemons, limes, grapefruit for anyone to pick! There is a gorgeous chicken coop and fresh eggs for sale every day- simply delicious! The spaces are spread out and because it's out of the city, there is no light pollution. Hello Milky Way! The office has a boutique beer and wine store with ice cream, snacks, and other little trinkets. Adorable. The owners are lovely. Keep up the good work and we'll be back! We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

Some Shade, Mostly Shady

Try the fresh eggs, visit the dwarf car museum up the road

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $1.00

Was a disappointment. We were coming through Maricopa to visit our son and daughter in law on our way back home in Northern Arizona. We should have just kept going. We called ahead and inquired about Passport America. Left a message asking someone to call back if we could not come in or they did not take Passport America. No one ever called so we showed up. There was a 30 minute discussion over the fact they do NOT take Passport America. The manager even looked it up online to prove to me that they don't take Passport America and lo and behold, there they were. He still did not want to give me that rate and insisted on an extra $5.00 a night for electricity. June in Arizona, you don't want to be without electricity. In addition, he told me I could "buy something" in the store to make up the difference. I agreed to the $5.00 upcharge and in the end I don't even know how much I paid, I just wanted out of that office. After I pointed out his security cameras were running he backed off on "buying something." He did keep insisting that his wife and the owner were going to make him suffer for his kindness. The site was fine. There weren't many campers as it was June and the snowbirds were gone. The utilities worked fine and he was good enough to give us a site with a tree as I asked. This is a snowbird park. The location near the dairy farm and stockyards would not be my first choice but maybe it isn't bad in winter. Laundry facilities very nice and average price for wash and dry. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $35.00

Pros: Wide pull-through spaces and wide roads. Country atmosphere with great desert views Laundry room on site Wifi had a good signal.

Cons: There is NO pool. Most other parks have a pool. For the price of this park they need a pool. WiFi towers too close to spaces. If you are EMF sensitive that won't work. My ears rang the whole time. Laundry room is unfinished as are many projects at this park. They also allow anyone to use the laundry room. You will find it busy with non-residents most evenings and not be able to get in to do laundry. We had to drive to Casa Grande a few times to do laundry. Bathrooms are ok but need updating. Showers have old tile and fixtures and looked grungy. Toilet stalls are tight and you can't shut the door or your knees will hit it. The toilets are off center and you hit the wall when you sit down. There are only two showers, two toilet stalls and ONE sink. This could all be updated. The Clubhouse was closed and locked for the summer. We were told that it was because of the kids making a mess and then told it was going to be renovated. We did not see any renovations during our time there. It was very disappointing that we could not use the club house for anything during our time there. The office was closed most of the time. Web site says it was open seven days a week but we did not find that true. No customer service during summer months. Owner pleasant but did not trust us. Office manager non-existent. Park was quiet and mostly vacant for the summer. He did kick out some of the riff raff. Propane was closed for the summer. The open sign was taken down as was the rope for the bell that requested service. We had to go into Thunderbird Farms to get propane. Rent was increased from $300 to $400 without notice. And the owner did not know we paid in advance. Tried to charge me again. It's a nice park but could be managed better. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Travel Trailer.

Maricopa is a short drive for groceries and supplies. Phoenix a half hour beyond that. Casa Grande is close for everything. It's easy access from I-8.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $30.00

After calling dozens of RV parks, this is the only one that did not have any restrictions on age or occupancy and it was the most inexpensive (only $400 monthly!) Due to mechanical issues we arrived after midnight, and the owner was nice enough to get out of bed and show us to our spot. We stayed January-May with our 5 children age range 12-4 and all of us were sad to go. So peaceful and quiet. It's perfect for the low maintenance traveler who wants to just relax and enjoy the beauty of the Sonoran desert. I felt safe here with the kids while my husband attended school in Phoenix (an easy commute.) The only drama was residents who refused to pay had to be removed from the park, but that didn't affect us. About a quarter of the park are long termers who are either helpful or keep to themselves. The landscaping is nice with mature trees that provide shade and a citrus orchard. Clean bathrooms and large laundry facility. Wifi seemed to work better closest to the office. The office also seconds as a small convenience store. Oversized slips, plenty of walking trails and desert area to explore. Amazing sunset views of Tabletop Mountain and huge saguaro cacti. The kids enjoyed movie nights in the clubhouse, riding their bikes around the park, and plenty of nights around campfires with new friends. We have nothing but great memories of our time here. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

Be sure to check out Copper Sky in Maricopa. It's a very reasonably price family fitness center, but also has free community events and a huge farmers market once a month!

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $25.00

Had a great winter here! Really nice to get away from city and enjoy the country. Will be back. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Travel Trailer.

Concrete, Gravel, Dirt

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $30.00

Great RV park! Large, level spots. No noise- very quiet. Great neighbors/other guests- really friendly folks. Owners have put a lot into the place to make it really neat- large fruit orchard (free), fresh eggs and honey, craft beer & wine store, lots of cookouts and fires going each night. Used to be owned by John Wayne, which is a cool part of history. Wi-do strong. We'll be back, and for longer next time. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $25.00

Extremely dusty and not very attractive. Sites are large and level, and park was generally clean. Biggest issue was sporadic long-term residents among the sites with very old rundown units - broken windshields, certainly not "driveable" in any way, with piles of rusted bikes, coolers, chairs, etc shoved underneath but yet the park rules clearly stated that this was unacceptable. The dumpster was full (overflowing) for most of our 4 night stay. Located away from the sites but had to just pile trash on top of what was there. Nice little office store with wine and craft beers. There is a pleasant staff and they seem to be working to improve, so if that happens could be a nice place. Right now I would not return. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

Not much around but Maricopa just a few miles up road. Also dairy farm tour at neighboring farm.

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $1.00

We were here for a rally so no idea of the cost. Many rally goers had power issues. The roads and sites are basically dirt. They have many long term guest in rigs that are not in the best shape. We had a friend who had mail delivered but it came late and after we left he kept calling to check on its delivery. No responses to his calls so we drove down, about 60 miles, and found it was there but the reason for non returned was never given. Over all not a great place. I would not use again and would not recommend. We camped at Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Wild West Ranch and RV Resort (formerly John Wayne RV Ranch) ?