Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground

Recent Rate: $20 5/2014

• Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • Electric (30 AMP) Electric (30 AMP) no
  • Electric (50 AMP) Electric (50 AMP) no
  • Water Water no
  • Sewer Sewer no

Boundertom

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $20.00

Previous reviewers have given a pretty accurate picture of the campground. It is attractive, with Ponderosa Pines and fairly dense undergrowth. I found that there was a considerable amount of road noise, audible anywhere in the campground. This noise comes from both State Highway 87, and Houston Mesa Road, which has a surprising amount of traffic. We have a 40' motorhome, pulling a full size truck, and found only a handful of sites that would accommodate our rig. Many sites are sloped enough that leveling a larger rig would be impossible. Most of the pull through sites have bends that would be difficult if not impossible in a large rig. There are also many tree limbs that intrude into the parking spaces. We ended up on a pull through, but we backed into it. Verizon 3G was very slow. The restrooms and showers ($2 for 6 minutes) were clean. The multitude of hosts seem to do a good job of keeping the campground neat and clean. Our site had been freshly raked. The dump station is posted with a fee of $7.00, and fresh water posted at $.25/ gallon!!! I questioned a host on this, and was told that registered campers do indeed have to pay the $7.00 dump fee, but the water is free. I have been camping for almost 50 years, owned an RV for over 30 years, and have been a fulltimer for almost 9 years, and have never encountered a facility that charged registered campers for the use of the dump station. The host I spoke to said that this was a new policy this year, and she did not like it either. I hope this is not the beginning of a trend. I feel that this campground is already pretty pricey for what it offers. As a final nuisance, there is a host site on the exit of the dump station. He/she has installed a portable garage for their personal vehicle, which blocks a substantial portion of the road exiting the dump station. I decided to drive my truck through the dump station, in order to better gauge if there was sufficient clearance for my motorhome. There was a visitor at the hosts site completely blocking the exit, so I had to back out. I should also point out that this campground charges $7.00 per night for an extra vehicle. I carry a motorcycle on the back of the motorhome, and pull a truck with an ATV on the bed. I inquired before registering how the extra vehicle policy would apply. I was told that as long as the vehicles were towed in, there would be no additional charge. Later, I was told (by a different host) that if I unloaded my ATV (street legal in AZ) I would have pay the $7.00 per day for it. I asked about if I unloaded the motorcycle, and was told there would be no charge for that???? I think the extra vehicle policy may be open to the interpretation of each host???? I also found the posting of rules to be a bit lacking. Normally we will see common things such as quiet hours, generator hours, and checkout times clearly posted. Not here. I doubt that I would return to this campground again. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Motorhome.

snowman9000

Date of Stay: March, 2014 - $20.00

Poor value for the money. In March, the shower was shut down. The dump station is out of order. Sites are tightly vegetated in many cases. Right next to a town highway and its noise. Does not compare well at all to an AZ state park dry camping site for the same or less money. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Motorhome.

Red Wolf Deux

Date of Stay: April, 2012 - $25.00

Quiet campground just a couple of miles from Payson. Friendly host. No trails. Dump station is $7 and water to fill up is $.25 a gallon. Basic, but worth a stop. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Motorhome.

mgalex

Date of Stay: March, 2012 - $3.00

We love it here. The views are amazing. It is all dry camping but dump station and water not too far away. Security gate closes at sundown. The $3.00 per night works with your Golden Age Pass. Must purchase passes from area stores in Mesa. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Motorhome.

jimncarol2010

Date of Stay: June, 2011 - $10.00

$10 rate reflects Golden Age Discount. Host very friendly and knowledgeable. All sites paved, mostly level. Verizon air card worked, due to close proximity to town. Only negative, it was 106 degrees, but cooled off some after sunset. Would stay here again but not in summer. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Motorhome.

annamom

Date of Stay: September, 2010 - $20.00

Nice campground with friendly hosts to answer questions. There are tall trees and it's only about 1 mile outside of town. They have warm showers and flush toilets. Showers were $2 for six minutes. A little noisy since it was right off of the freeway. We would definitely camp here again. It might be a little tight for a large RV. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Tent Trailer.

nbi600

Date of Stay: October, 2007 - $18.00

This is a very noisy campground next to the highway. We have a 40' motorhome & there are about 12 sites we could fit into although the pull-throughs, while long enough, have such a tight mid-curve with narrow paving & tree branches, that they would require just backing into one end of them. The campground manager (concessioner) had a very happy dog. I had to finally go over and ask her to keep it quiet. She didn't appreciate it. We think that most campgrounds have that rule and for the manager to not oblige is unfortunate. Because of the noise we would only stay one night which driving through the area in the future. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Motorhome.

mso

Date of Stay: May, 2007 - $18.00

Good access roads and large sites. We have a 37ft motorhome and had plenty of room in a pull through site in the designated RV loop. Also sites are large enough in the Mt. Lion loop which I thought was nicer. It was further from the road noise. Bathrooms clean. Close to town some shaded sites. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Motorhome.

hypogi

Date of Stay: July, 2006 - $15.00

Still a little primitive but very nice and very quite. The best part about this campground is how close it is to Payson. I use to tent in this area when I was younger and it was nice to see that it hasnt been over run by urban sprawl. Its a great campground for weekenders but full timers might not find it as appealing. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Motorhome.

Steve Bingham

Date of Stay: July, 2005 - $15.00

This site is located north of Payson at the junction of State Hwy. 87 and the Houston Mesa Road/Forest Road (FR) 199. Turn east on FR 199 for 1/10 mile to the Houston Mesa Campground located on the north side of the road. Houston Mesa Horse Campground is located on the south side of the road. This is a very nice Tonto NFS campground. All the roads are paved, as are the sites. Picnic tables and small fire cooking bins are provided. This is a heavily wooded area in ponderosa pine forest location. More importantly, it only 1 mile from the town of Payson. A nice place for the family. We camped at Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Are you affiliated with Tonto National Forest / Houston Mesa Campground?