Roper Lake State Park

Safford, Arizona

Latitude: 32.7583620382399

• yes-lake Waterfront

mythmakr

No sewer hookups at the sites, but we were intentionally close to the shower building. The showers were clean and free when we needed them. Our site had plenty of room for our slides, though we could not fully extend our awning. I am not sure if I could have gotten into the back in site if there had been someone in the spot directly across the lane from us. Thankfully there was no one there. In fact, the Sunday evening we arrived the place was virtually empty. The rangers and other folks working the park were friendly. We stayed a week and many campers stayed a night or two and left. The park is very clean and well kept. The day use area and lake had some people using them everyday, but it was not what I would call busy. We like it here and would return. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

marsingbob

Nice park. Good separation between sites. Interesting walking paths and nicely landscaped and maintained. Like other Arizona state parks we have visited, this is a great place to stay. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

Shezonit

Stayed here one night. I paid and went to my assigned site. It had no trees, no view and was right next to the few RVs there. I drove through the loop and found 3 sites that were much better. I went back and asked for a change. The lady seemed surprised but gave me my first choice, an easy pull through with a view and privacy. I was bemused to see that a half hour later, she gave someone the site I had rejected. Wouldn't it be good customer service to know the sites and hand out the nicer ones first? Then I went to try the hot mineral pool, which was the reason I stayed here. It was occupied by a large family. There is a sign that says 15 minute limit, so I went to the dog park across the way and timed 20 minutes- they were still there. At 35 minutes, I walked over and asked if there was room for one more. Then they all got out, loaded in a car and left. OK, the much vaunted hot spring was all mine. Except it is not very hot. On further reading about this park,I saw that it is 98 degrees. So I'm sitting there in body temperature water, trying to figure out how this pool is self cleaning, as the water level was about a foot under the outflow. All those people? I start to notice a distinct odor of kerosene. I sniffed around and find it is coming from the inflow, which is a rather grubby looking PVC pipe. The inside of the pipe is black and green. I decided I would try this pool first thing in the morning instead. Next morning at 730, I eagerly went to the pool. Water was nice and clear and felt warmer, since it was early in the day. Ahhhh, except-- there was that smell again. There is definitely a kerosene odor in the pipe. I left well before my 15 minutes... I used the dump station, but I won't go back here. There are much nicer hot springs in Safford. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

Outwest63

Spent two nights here. Park was quiet with few campers which made the stay nice and quiet. Campground was clean. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

Roland Jordan

A big surprise thanks to the "shut-down" of the USA government. For this reason we had to change travel plans and ended up in this state park instead of a national park. This park is very well maintained. Clean showers and restrooms. Also day use areas are very well kept. Very large sites. When you would look at our site (#40), you would think that we would be the only one in the area, but behind the trees the other sites are there. Still, this gives a very private feeling. Staff was very friendly. Next times we will definitely look more to state parks instead of national parks. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

coffeeman1

We stayed here several nights and had a nice level pull through. Showers/restrooms very clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. The lake is nice to walk around. Not too far into the Walmart or eating places. Being New Mexico, and in drought, vegetation is suffering but there is still quite a bit of green. The small hot spring tub was relaxing. Would return again. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

Metamorphosis Road

The only reason it doesn't get a 10 is lack of sewer hookups. Dump station on site. Site #14 is quite private. Good birding here; many yellow headed blackbirds during our stay. Short drive in to Safford for all services. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Linsay

Stayed just one night on our way west. Great restrooms although we didn't explore the area too much as we arrived late and left early the following day. Nice covered picnic tables by each site. Friendly check-in staff. The park was quiet this time of year, although they booked those campers that were there all in the same area. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

WinnieViews

Very quiet state park with a nice small lake for paddling and fishing. Nice views of mountains in the distance. They even have a natural spring hot tub available within the park! The town of Safford is small but has a Wal-Mart and some good Mexican restaurants. Great place to stop for a few days! We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

trmwilliams

Nice state park campground with pretty mountain views. We were in the Cottonwood loop which we booked due to reviews that stated that these sites were more spacious than the Hacienda loop sites. I would agree with this (we walked through the Hacienda loop) and also in Cottonwood, each site has a very nice shade structure with a picnic table. We were in sites 15 and 16 facing the lake and they were nice but next time I would opt for sites along the back side of the loop (1,3,5,7 or 9) as they were more private. Although 9 is next to a walking trail so although it's a huge site, the others would probably see less traffic. We found the campground easily accessible with our 40 foot rig and most of the sites I saw were fairly level. The hiking was nice and lots of space to cruise around on your bicycle. We would definitely return again. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

KDSpree

Lovely park, lots of wildlife, no virgin mobile signal, facilities worked well, staff were very friendly and helpful. Sites were level and easy to get into. We would stay here again. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

J and C

Nice state park, especially the hot tub with natural mineral water and the view. Big with local or state people. They are asking for 2 weeks notice to get reservations. That's difficult or impossible for people crossing the country. Luckily we got the last spot on a busy weekend. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

horsefolk

Very nice state park now being run by almost all volunteers/workampers, and they are doing a fantastic job. The natural hot tub was a comfortable 92 degrees and very clean. The restrooms and showers are old but clean. Paved mostly level large sites with great views all around. Nice gift shop and trails are nicely maintained. Very dog friendly, just keep 'em on a leash and cleanup after them. We will look forward to coming back. Stayed 4 days. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

jOHNONTHEROAD

One of the nicer state parks. Large sites, large pads, covered picnic tables, hot tub, view of the mountains: really nice. The employees are friendly too. If they would have sewer I would have given a 10. I'll stay here again. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

nbi600

There are two loops - Cottonwood has 50A electric; Hacienda has 30A. Both loops have big rig sites for a 40' motorhome. The roads and sites are paved and topped with small rock. Some sites are reservable. The bathrooms and showers are old and kept somewhat clean. The bathrooms in the Cottonwood Loop were closed when we were there so it might be wise to check this out beforehand. There is a natural hot spring which seats about eight persons. The outhouse/changing room nearby is awful - smelly and no place to hang clothes. Would recommend changing at your site. The fish able lake is 30 acres and stocked with large mouth bass and Rainbow Trout. Electric motors only are allowed. There are a few cabins to rent. There is a swimming beach at the day use area. There is a dump station with easy entry. The park is located off Hwy 191, 6 miles south of Safford. Safford has good restaurants, groceries and a Super Wal-Mart. We camped at Roper Lake State Park in a Motorhome.

Rock Hound State Park

Deming, New Mexico

Picacho Peak State Park

Picacho, Arizona

Hidden Valley Ranch

Deming, New Mexico

Meteor Crater RV Park

Winslow, Arizona

Are you affiliated with Roper Lake State Park?