Hickiwan Trails RV Park

Why, Arizona

Recent Rate: $19 2/2013

tomsack

This is probably our fourth year staying at Hickiwan Trails RV Park and find this park is still on our “A-list” of places to stay in Arizona. We try to spend at least a week here with the friends we travel with and an $85 weekly price with full hookups, who can beat that? In another post, it was said that the long time husband and wife managers have moved on but that is only half true as one of them still manages the park, and she still has a wonderful attitude. It was also said that the park looked shabby and rundown, but we found it clean, weed free, restrooms, showers and laundromat clean and in good order. I ride my UTV right out of the park into the desert. I hope the previous comment poster comes back again to see that the park is in fine shape. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

JohnTucson

I've stayed at Hickiwan many times over the past few years and have always considered it one of the true gems of my travels. Sadly, that's no longer the case. The longtime manager and his wife have moved on and their expertise and friendly manner have so far not been replaced. RV parks often take on the character of their managers, and this one definitely did. At this point, however, there is no one even taking care of the basic day-to-day chores, and the park has deteriorated rapidly. It looks shabby and rundown. There are piles of junk everywhere, the bathrooms and laundry are filthy, and the weeds have practically taken over the place. The WiFi is hit-and-miss. On the plus side, the surrounding desert is still wild and remote, a haven of solitude and stark beauty. I hiked out there nearly every day of my stay. The rates can hardly be beat. It's $285/month includes electricity. I'll probably stay here again, because I'm an old desert rat and I don't care so much for them new-fangled city RV parks. I like the location, too. You have to drive on past "nowhere" just to get here. But it's just not the same as it was. A pity. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Sidewinder

We spent two weeks here. Great place for a base while visiting Organ Pipe. Full hook ups and very friendly staff. Great hiking and you may even see wild burros on your walk. You will, for sure hear them at night. Nice, out of the way place to stay. This was our second visit and we will return next year. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Motorhome.

Cathy.Cook

Quiet park, assuming you don't have large groups heading to/from Rocky Point, MX. Otherwise, quite serene. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Motorhome.

Sidewinder

Very friendly. Lots of room for hiking and bike riding. Quiet nights. Clean level sites. Take a hike and you may see wild donkeys in the desert or hear them at night around your camp. A great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Motorhome.

fimk

Very nice and helpful people in this park. Most people here stay for a month or more. Good water and electric, but the WiFi is weak. Some site are confusing because people park themselves and get misaligned. Wild burros frequent the park and sometimes bray at night. One unusual consequence of these nightly visits is that the burros would turn on the water to get a drink, so the owners removed the knobs from the water spickets. So ask where to find the water knob. Great place for access to Organ Pipe National Monument. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Motorhome.

Vegas Tom

We camped here as a part of our RV club's "stopover" on the way to Rocky Point, MX. The operators were very friendly. The bathrooms/showers were clean and functional. It is not a destination campground, but does offer the services needed for a short stay. Our club returns to MX in Oct and we'll again stop here for one night. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

cba

This is a quiet park and by Arizona standards, the sites are reasonably sized. Sites are mostly back-in, and 50 amp sites are very limited in number. There is gravel under the coaches and a small patio pad for each site with very few picnic tables. The restroom and laundry are very clean. There are no other amenities such as pool or community room but electric was stable and water good. The park is clean and is well tended. We stayed a couple of nights to sight-see and would stay here again. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Motorhome.

NVDesertGirl

Nightly rate is reflective of weekly rate; we opted to leave 3 days early. Not as nice as the website would lead you to believe. We had planned to relax and enjoy the desert setting while traveling through southern AZ; late January is not good for this! Flocks/caravans of snowbirds in their mega rigs landed as a rest stop for several days on their journey from Quartzsite to Rocky Point, MX. Forget the tranquility during this migration period. They cut down limbs of older mesquite trees so they could open all four slides on their beasts, what a shame. We would consider coming back prior to or after the carnival of events in Quartzsite. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

ALFA Maytwins

The town of Why and the Hickiwan Trails RV Park are both in remote southern Arizona. We came here as a stop over before entering Mexico and stayed a week. One has to appreciate the Sonoran Desert environment to appreciate this location. Hiking, sun bathing, camaraderie and a friendly staff are the strengths of this park. We heard about the burros but even hiking in the desert behind the park we did not see them. On the disappointing side, we didn't see any animal life except two jackrabbits our whole stay. The sites are gravel, mostly level with pea gravel interior roads. The sites seem to alternate 30 amp and 50 amp so if you want a specific power you have to ask for it. I have to say it has been quite busy this week with frequent in and out traffic,so the turnover is high. The park stayed 3/4 full most days, with many departures in the morning and the sites filled by noon. The park sits behind the Golden Ha'San Casino and Convenience Store/Gas station. The casino is the size of a mini mart and only offers slot machines 16 hours per day. On a lark I played the slots and won $50 on a penny machine. We were told someone walked out with 1K during the week we were here. My winnings paid for half the park fee of $85 for the week stay. Cash or checks only, no plastic. All sites are back in except a few which seem to be occupied for extended period of time by people in newer 5th Wheels who see this as a destination, rather then a stop over. All sites are clean and very well kept up. The sites are wide enough for a class A with 2-4 slides and the towed car beside or in front of the coach. Power from standard power pedestals was very good during our stay, with no spikes or brownouts. Water is clean but hard as it is in most of southern AZ. I have my own Internet satellite so I did not use the parks WiFi but I saw people with their laptop siting in the breezeway outside the Laundry area using the parks service. We used the laundry several times, the 4 machines are new and clean as are the 4 dryers. All sites have complete hookups including sewer. Bathrooms could use a little attention more frequently then they attend to them, waste baskets full, toilet rolls empty, but they were not dirty. Three large garbage bins around the perimeter of the park fill rapidly and are only emptied once per week which is inadequate for the volume of trash they receive. I am one who appreciates the scenery of the desert so this was a pleasure for me. Believe me, if you look to the night sky you will see more stars then you knew existed. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Motorhome.

chickenpants

First: the entrance to this RV park is around the right side of the store. It has flat, gravel lots and a very friendly check-in. I was camped in a spot close to State Highway 86 and I heard no road noise. The internet is down more than up, definitely a wireless router issue, not a provider issue. They have clean bathrooms and laundry. I would like to spend a longer period of time here before it gets hot. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Motorhome.

JohnTucson

I stayed at this park for three weeks, and really enjoyed it. Personally, I prefer parks that are off the beaten track and this one definitely is. It's two miles from the tiny settlement of Why, Arizona, and completely surrounded by open desert. The park is on the highway, but there is so little traffic that noise wasn't a problem. Don't expect a lot of amenities out here. I understand there are activities planned for the winter season, but in general it's the sort of place where if you have to ask, "What is there to do here?" You probably wouldn't like it for more than an overnight. I spent a lot of time hiking and wandering in and around the desert hills behind the park, and the solitude and wide open spaces were wonderful. The park is also a fine gateway to Organ Pipe National Monument. The managers are as nice as they can be and very interesting to talk to. The rates are typical for this type of park. You can hardly beat $85/week. All sites are level and long enough for big rigs, with concrete patios on every one. Only a few pull-through sites, though. Many sites have mesquite trees, which are pleasant even if not really big enough to provide much shade. The laundry has new equipment (four of each). The reason I didn't give a higher rating is because the bathrooms could have been cleaned more frequently. It's true there were only a half-dozen occupied RV's in the park at the time I was here. The bathrooms didn't get much use, but as far as I could tell, they were only cleaned once in my entire three weeks. And then there are the wild burros, who wander through at will. The burros cause no trouble to campers and are fun to watch, but be aware you might hear them braying at all hours of the night. More serious, there was a range bull that I twice saw lumbering through the park. Burros are one thing, a bull quite another. The managers called in a cowboy from the Tohono Reservation to round him up, but I would say a fence is needed. The Wi-Fi was adequate, although it did drop offline a number of times for an hour or two at a time. I'm pretty sure this was a problem with the provider, however, and not the park. I would definitely come back to this park. You don't find peace and quiet like this in very many parks, and managers as nice as these are worth their weight in gold if you're staying for a while. The closest town other than Why is Ajo, but there isn't much there. Perhaps a smallish grocery store and a couple of restaurants. The closest serious shopping and restaurants would be Tucson or Casa Grande, both about two hours away. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Motorhome.

curt5

This place was what we all needed: would have gotten a higher rating but no TV and the restrooms need some work: and they are working on them. Quite, scenic, trails are in good shape. The manager and his wife are great people. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

badgirl

My husband and I spent from December to April at Hickiwan and loved every minute of our stay. The sites were clean and sewer, water and electric were adequate. The campground hosts and are absolutely wonderful. They keep the shower immaculate and are extremely caring that your stay is a wonderful experience. The area surrounding the campground is beautiful and makes for good hiking. Lovely cactus and beautiful mountains. They had a Christmas Dinner for the residents as well as a Mardi Gras celebration. At Christmas, the campers and Ray and Marcia got together and did up stockings for the Indian children of the the area. It was fun putting them together and seeing the looks on the children and "elderes" as they received their gifts. What a great place to stay and God bless them for the work they do there and with the Indian communities. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

firstep

The first thing that struck me about this park was how typically desert it was – wide open spaces, austere, some cacti and desert vegetation and a view of the surrounding hills. The second most impressive feature was the Hosts – friendly and willing to help beyond the call of duty. A particular site was recommended by Ray (the host) because I wanted good access to the Wi-Fi (to upload some files) BUT it turned out our sewer hose was not long enough and Ray quickly found us a longer hose to accommodate the situation. Hickiwan Trails is a smaller park owned by the Hickiwan District of the Tohono O’Odham Nation people and stands adjacent to the Golden Has’an Casino that is owned by a different District. You will find some long-term guests here; RVers who use the park as a base to explore the surrounding areas (close to Organpipe Cactus National Monument; good bird watching and hiking); and short term visitors like ourselves. There is a casual open atmosphere in the park and everyone we came in contact with was exceedingly friendly. According to some of the folks I talked to, the park has improved greatly since Ray and Marsha took over the management. There are now periodic activities which there hadn’t been before and the facilities are upgraded and cared for. They recently had a Mardi Gras celebration and about 80 people came to enjoy the food and camaraderie. I heard different reports about the facilities. One guest said that she found the showers fine, but the other bathroom facilities (toilets and sinks) could have been cleaner. Another fellow reported that the showers were great. I found there was plenty of hot water and the water pressure was very good. There were four washers and dryers in the Laundry – all worked well and seemed fairly new, well maintained and clean. The rates are reasonable: $16.00 / day; $85.00 / week; and $285.00 / month including electricity and taxes BUT the park seems to be a hidden treasure. Road signs to its whereabouts are very limited and need to be expanded. We were very pleased with our stay here and there is no doubt we will return when we are in this area. We camped at Hickiwan Trails RV Park in a Motorhome.

Kerrville KOA

Kerrville, Texas

Holt's Shell RV Park

Gila Bend, Arizona

Coyote Howls

Why, Arizona

Are you affiliated with Hickiwan Trails RV Park?