1.7 Terrible

• Restrooms Restrooms no
  • Showers Showers no
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Pickleball Pickleball no

Ask fellow campers about "Shell Lake Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: December, 2018 - $39.00

I can not believe that they are a Good Sam Campground this is the worst camp ground that I have ever stayed at. no service what so ever. the first place I tried to plug in did not have electric and box was about 1 foot off the ground had to lay down to plug in. The next one electric was ok but water line was about 8 inch off ground and pointing down had hard time hooking up water, it was a pull though full hook up never did find the sewer hook up. if you need a place to stay you would be better staying at a rest area or Walmart We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2018 - $35.00

At this park you are checked in at the hotel. There is no building, no showers, no trash cans, no bathrooms, not sure the water ran and no caps on dump site. Was told to park wherever. Bugs and weeds horrible. Expensive for lack of any amenities. Does show Good Sam but definitely not up to standards. The clerk in the hotel was nice but did not say anything about the area. There is a hotel next door and a truck stop across street. Noisy. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

No Others In Sight
Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Poor Conditions

Don't stop unless you are desperate.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $35.00

We had been driving 9 hrs and I was exhausted. Knowing that we would have about 30 more minutes before Memphis parks, I pulled into this park. It is actually a bit of a scary looking area and directly across from large TA truck stop. The price was laughable and the young men shrugged off my dismay. But, I was exhausted so we stayed. Looks like they are trying to make things better as there were intermittent concrete slab pull thrus that looked newly poured. Only 1 camper and it looked like a fulltimer that worked in area with ladders etc strewn about. I plugged in and, although my surge stated it was ok electric, running the TV, microwave, and ac, tripped my fuses. I would NEVER stay here again. But for a night of sleep, it'll do. Hopefully safety through eve prevails. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Concrete, Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Just stopover. I would not disconnect here.

Date of Stay: February, 2015 - $30.00

I was tired, it was dark, and I didn't know what was ahead. Saw a sign that said an RV park was off the next exit. I pulled into an empty campground. As I sat there wondering what to do, a guy came over from the hotel lobby and told me to check in there.

When he told me it was $30 for the night, I said, "You're kidding me". He shrugged, I shrugged, and I paid the fee. I feel like he made up the price on the spot, and I wondered if I was even supposed to be there. The park looked abandoned. Many of the utility posts were broken and tipped over, junk lined the area, and it had a bad feeling about it. Not a deal at even half the price I paid. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Shell Lake Campground

Date of Stay: April, 2013 - $28.00

The previous review is still accurate, except the cost went up $1.00. The bathrooms were not open, and they did offer us the use of a hotel room to take a shower in. We used it as an overnight stop while on the road. The sites are in various degrees of disrepair, not all full hookup sites where fully functional. It appeared that all RVs that showed up were able to get full hookups. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2012 - $27.00

The campground is right across from a very busy truck stop and next to the interstate as well, therefore it is very noisy. No discounts available and overpriced. The grounds were not kept up and needed maintenance. Easy in and easy out is about the best I can say about this campground, it was good for an overnight stay as we were tired. I would try to avoid it and plan my stop in another city. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: November, 2010 - $27.00

Park grounds were clean. Gravel roads and sites fairly level. Close to I-40 and right across road from major truck stop. Very noisy. If they have restrooms, they were not open, and we had to use the motel next door for showering. We felt they were way over-priced considering the location. We would not stay here again. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2010 - $26.00

Apparently some improvements have been made to the campground since the last review. The roads were in good shape, the campground was neatly mowed, and it was clean overall. It is still an overnight stop at best. The voltage was only 112 volts and we were not able to use all our appliances for fear of damage. The campground is only about 100 yards from I-40, and directly across the street from a truck stop, so the traffic noise is loud and continuous. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2009 - $27.00

One of the worst campgrounds I've visited. Broken picnic tables, the grass needed cutting and electricity didn't work at some sites. Awfully bad! We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: April, 2009 - $26.00

Park is very unkempt; mud holes throughout; could not even drive into sites. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: December, 2008 - $28.00

I have traveled full time for 4 years and this is the worst campground I have ever had the misfortune to stay in. It was like camping in a very muddy noisy junkyard. Drive through the night if you have to to avoid this one. I broke my cardinal rule of paying before looking at the camping facility and I won't do it again. I had planned to stay in a campground that I had already checked out before Memphis but decided to drive on through Memphis and avoid the morning traffic. I-40 is within sight and several major truck stops just across the road, so don't count on a good night's sleep. I wish I had stopped at the Wal-Mart 20 miles earlier. Even free camping at Shell Lake would be a ripoff. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2008 - $25.00

It is an old KOA that needs a lot of work. Had to look around for a site that had working water connection. Lots of low hanging tree branches. The sign on the office building states that it is under renovation, but I saw no work being done. You have to register at the nearby Motel. Right next to a TA truck stop and I-40 so it is very noisy. Worked for an in and out overnight but that is about all. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2007 - $22.00

A shamefully neglected park that will do for a cheap stop over in a pinch. Tremendous road noise required me to keep the A/C fan on all night (and I could still hear it). I was, however, pleasantly surprised that they offered free wireless internet. You can use the pool of the hotel next door, who apparently own this park. They really could have used a sign that said check in at the hotel because another guest and I walked clear around the old KOA building expecting an entrance when there was none. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: January, 2007 - $24.00

This was the worst we've ever seen. The sites were pure mud with water filled holes and tire ruts. Many of the sewer connections were broken and tree branches extended into the aisles and scraped the rv's. Absolutely everything was in terrible condition. Unfortunately we were exhausted upon arrival and nothing else was nearby and we had no choice but to stay the night. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: November, 2006 - $24.00

This campground is about 20 miles west of Memphis, TN on I-40. This park is badly in need of maintenance. Only 1 toilet worked in the men's washroom. In the laundry room 1 dryer was not vented and it was dirty. The good news is that it is right off of I-40. The bad news is that it is just across from a TA Truck Stop, so noisy day and night. Sewer didn't work at our site. We had to back out of our pull through to get out of our site, as the trees were too low for us to use the drive. Campground part of Super 8 campground. They had a pool and Wi-Fi. This used to be a KOA and I don't think anything has been done to it since they pulled out. It rained while we were here, and our rig was sitting in a lake. The lake is pretty but that's the only part that was pretty. The campground itself is functional and ok for a stopover. We camped at Shell Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Featured Campgrounds Near Shell Lake Campground

Are you affiliated with Shell Lake Campground ?