2.3 Terrible

Alturas, California 96101

• Big Rig Access Big Rig Access no
  • Kid Friendly Kid Friendly no
  • Restrooms Restrooms ?

Ask fellow campers about "High Desert RV" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: September, 2011 - $15.00

This is an empty lot in the middle of town with several run down trailers/motor homes. The sites are so narrow that the unit next to mine would very nearly hit my tow vehicle when they open their door. The only 30 amp spot has me partly in the driveway. I was welcomed with the "f" word coming out of one trailer and then another out of the other next to them. Oh joy! I had planned on staying two nights in hopes of getting my oil changed while in Alturas. I will wait and get out of here first thing in the morning and try at my next stop. I frankly do not know what possessed me to stay, except for the reservation I had made and I wished to honor; otherwise I would have driven off and gone back to a park I had seen as I came into town. Unless you are in Alturas to visit someone in the jail--which is across the street; or have business in the courthouse--which is also across the street, do not stay at this place. I have traveled all over California and the southwest and this is the ugliest, saddest "park" I have ever seen. Calling it "High Desert Resort" is a misnomer if there ever was one. I give it a two rather than a one because the "manager" was friendly and helpful. We camped at High Desert RV in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2010 - $14.00

The owners are very nice, but the lots are TINY. You can reach and touch your RV and the next over. Monthly rates are cheap enough, but electricity is a bit high. The showers are free. There was/is a man staying here that creeped us out. He tries to walk into the showers while you're in there, ugh. We left in October before the big snows hit. If you're wanting an overnighter, it's OK. But if you plan on staying any longer, don't. We camped at High Desert RV in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2009 - $14.00

We planned on staying at this campground as it was advertised by Passport America and the reduced price was enticing. In our opinion this should not be listed as a campground. It looks like a very small, run down used car lot and the RVs there were parked so close you could stand between them and touch both at the same time without stretching a bit. There would have been no way to extend our one slide-out. It didn't look like there was any space to park anyway, as there were several RVs already there packed in like sardines and no space at either end of the line of them that we could tell, but a man standing outside tried to wave us in anyway. We just kept driving. We've traveled and camped at a lot of campgrounds over the years and are full-timers, and this was certainly one of the worst we've seen. Unless you really can't live without electric and water for a overnight stay, we'd recommend just boon docking somewhere and if you're staying for a while, we recommend looking elsewhere. We camped at High Desert RV in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: January, 2009 - $15.00

We stayed here because it was a Passport America affiliate. Normal rate would have been $30/night. They had 1 site available for over nighters - rest appeared to be permanent residents who didn't have pride of ownership. Sites were squeezed together with little room. Fortunately, the 1 site for over nighters is the biggest site. The hot tub, as noted in the directory, was the hot tub in the backyard of the residence out in the open. The person who greeted us and helped us to our site was friendly and courteous. We wouldn't have stayed there if it wasn't for the 1/2 price camping. We camped at High Desert RV in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near High Desert RV

Are you affiliated with High Desert RV ?