Castle Air Museum RV Park

Atwater, California

4225 Hospital Rd
Atwater, California 95301

• Big Rig Access Big Rig Access no
  • Tent Camping Tent Camping ?
  • 55+ 55+ ?
  • Kid Friendly Kid Friendly no
  • Boondocking Boondocking ?
  • Restrooms Restrooms no
  • Showers Showers no
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no

Ask fellow campers about "Castle Air Museum RV Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: June, 2018 - $35.00

We had such a wonderful visit to Castle Air Museum and the RV Park. Yes, the RV Park is a bit rustic, but they tell you that up front. We made reservations way in advanced so we could have full hook ups with 50 amp service. And boy did that come in handy, it was hot! The camp host were friendly and ready to offer any advice on what is close, what you might be interested in and they told us about them moving a special plane. Our grandson thought that was awesome! Yes, there is a train near by, but in the summer, your windows are closed so you can not hear them. We never heard our neighbors. The museum is wonderful! We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

A6
Asphalt, Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $35.00

This was VERY disappointing, for many reasons. Planned a stay here because I'm a USAF Vet and I wanted to spend some time in the museum and maybe visit with other Vets. My expectations were too high. The park is not close enough to walk to the museum. Nothing is close by, except the trains that blow their loud whistles constantly and the Google Research center with frequent sirens. Had to be the noisiest RV park I've ever stayed in. The park is self is a blacktop parking lot where you have to back in. There are only half a dozen true "full hook up sites" and the camp host decides who gets them. If you choose to hook up to water and electricity (50 amp only), you still pay for the full hook up rate of $35. Your other choice is dry camping. There are no services here. Many long term RVs that have seen better days. I would not recommend this to anyone. If you want to see the museum, stay somewhere else. You're going to have to drive to it anyway. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Not big enough for my travel trailer

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $35.00

We stayed one night at this RV Park and the hosts went out of their way to be welcoming and gracious. They provided us with suggestions for an excellent restaurant nearby and a local bakery both of which we visited. They offered with one night's stay, one free admission to the Castle Air Museum also ($20 value). Finally, they allowed us to have a very late check out to spend more time in the Air Museum which was so appreciated. We had full hook ups which worked perfectly. The location was secure and very quiet. We will be back! We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Motorhome.

Castle Air Museum is spectacular. The main focus is the outside display of many types of aircraft, which the newer interior museum provides interesting history about Castle and has a beautiful display of the cockpit of a B52. Highly recommended!

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $35.00

First, we will stay there again but only because there isn't anything else in the area. The woman that handles reservations was great. The man that checks you in makes you feel like a child. He lectures you about the rules. This park is a concrete parking lot with hookups. One RV next to the other. Behind the RV is large grass lot that could be very nice but it brown and full of weeds. The area around our space had 2 ft weeds. We had 50 amp but when we came back at night the fuse was blown. 107 outside. I was lectured that I should only run 1 ac. Did not go to the museum because of the heat. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Castle Air Museum RV Park

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $25.00

We had trouble making reservations. Host did not listen to what type of rig I had and kept changing my site number based on my 'Airstream' (I don't have an Airstream!) When I arrived, the site assigned to me was next to a large, off-leash, big barking dog with the people listening to loud radio. I asked to be moved. The wife of the Host was very kind and understanding. The Host however, verbally 'reamed me a new one' and threatened to kick me out if I did not like loose, barking dogs and radios (said that's what you get if you RV). His wife moved me and told the people to put their barking dog on a leash so I could take my small dog safely out on a leash. Sheesh! Listened to the big barking dog the entire stay and people talking loudly at 5:30 a.m. while warming up their trucks to go to work. Site areas dirty. Been full-timing since 2000! OK, I guess, if too tired to move on. Won't stay again. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: January, 2016 - $25.00

We stopped here because it was in the right location for our trip south. I read the reviews and knew what I was getting. As the full hook-ups were all back in, and we didn't want to disconect our car, we asked for a boondocking spot. When we got there, the host said that he could set up a full hook-up for us without us having to unhook. We pulled alongside the curb and took up two plus spots and had a full hook up spot. He went way beyond what he had to do. As noted, no restrooms or showers or anything else except a spot to park with utilities. It was quiet enough, and very close to the Museum, with the free ticket. We didn't have time to visit the museum this trip, but maybe when we head north in a few months. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: December, 2015 - $25.00

When we pulled in, the host changed our reserved site saying the change was for long term stays. We had to pay up front for 4 weeks, and when it rained (several times), we had to wade through the water for 2 days just to enter the RV. 3 times I requested they pump out the "lake" as my RV front tubes sat in the water for over a week and I couldn't get into the storage without wading through water. I was lied to 3 times saying it would be pumped (but it wasn't) and couldn't be refunded. My original reserved site had numerous short term campers in and out. I believe I was deliberately changed to the flood area as I paid in advance, and no one would take this site full of water. If you must stay here, and if rain is in the forecast, beware of site A1,A2 or A3, or take boots. Never again for me.

No wifi, no cable, has 50 amp only service, water and sewer. Paved open site with very close spacing. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

A1

Date of Stay: May, 2015 - $25.00

We stayed here for 1 week. The host was readily available at all times. Basically, a big asphalt pad with very little shade covering Parking area. Must be fully self contained as there are no bathrooms available. Big grassy area but has some stickers that my dog found pretty easily. Dogs are not required to be on leash as long as you can control the dog. This park is very convenient to the town, the Castle Air Museum, grocery stores and makes a great home base when taking a day trip to Yosemite or other points of interest. No WiFi. Rates are extremely reasonable. We would definitely stay here again!! We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Motorhome.

Next to camp host
Pavers

Not much to look at unless air show going on.

Date of Stay: November, 2014 - $25.00

The park is located on the grounds of Castle Air Force Base which is largely vacant but partly used for community services and flight training. It was originally set up for the volunteer workers at the Air Museum. The rent comes with a free pass to the nearby museum and gift shop, which is definitely worth a visit. The park is basically an asphalt parking area next to a large grassy area. Manager is onsite. Sites are two parking-spaces wide. Wide area in front makes for easy backing. Electric is 50 amp only at the back of the space. Sewer both at space and park dump nearby.

I use the park for an overnighter. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Truck farms with fruit stands are right near the park. Atwater is adjacent to Merced with Costco, etc.

Date of Stay: February, 2014 - $25.00

Not a destination park, but a cheap place to stay overnight on the way through. It is a place to park and hook up, nothing else. No restrooms or other amenities. Half the sites are dry camping ($15), the other half full hookup back in. The hookups look a little worn, but work well. If the sewer hookup is out of reach, which it was for us, there is a dump station on the way out. Verizon worked excellent here. With the rate comes one free ticket for the adjacent Air Museum, which has a nice selection of military planes from WWII to the end of the 20th century. A little noisy at night, due to the trains honking their horns diligently. To find the place watch for the museum and take the road next to it. Then turn left immediately on Hospital Road. Half a mile down the road on the left you will see a small parking lot which is the RV park. We will come again for overnight stays. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

2 campers found this review helpful. Do you? Yes No Undo

Date of Stay: September, 2013 - $25.00

Park provides full hookups or dry camping. No restrooms available. Park is very convenient for visiting Castle Air Museum. Only 6 full hook-up sites, but no problem getting in this trip. If visiting Air Museum, we would stay here again. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2012 - $25.00

Site was level on asphalt with room for slides. There is car parking across the street from your RV or beside it depending on size. Site access is off a road all paved. Quiet park on an old AFB base. Has a park manager and you get one free pass to the museum. The Museum is the reason we went. They have 56 planes to date and more to come. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2011 - $25.00

A little pricey for what you get, although it does include 1 admission to the museum. As far as the rules for picking up after your animals, they don't enforce it so watch where you walk. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2010 - $30.00

This is a nice small RV park. Not much in the way of shade but still comfortable. The host was very nice and helpful. Nice and level asphalt sites. When in the area we will surely stay here again. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: February, 2008 - $25.00

Had some difficulty registering at the Air Museum. Found out from the campground host that the procedure is to phone her to reserve a spot. We were lucky to get one as we had not reserved. This RV park is generally for those visiting the museum or volunteers. Stay is limited to 4 days. The 50 amp connections require a 50 to 30 amp pigtail for those rigs with a 30 amp cord. Sites were pavement with lines for boundaries. For self contained rigs only as there are no restrooms. We camped at Castle Air Museum RV Park in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Castle Air Museum RV Park

Are you affiliated with Castle Air Museum RV Park ?