Sweetwater Regional Park

Bonita, California

Longitude: -116.999201774597

retiredfields

The newer area has very nice, paved sites. So, why the low score. 1) My pull-thru site was so overgrown with bushes that I couldn't drive my truck out the other side. It took me an hour of pruning to clear the driveway. 2) This park is an ant hill. They are in every site and in my rig. What really annoys me is the Staff knows about the problem, acknowledges it, and gives you no warning when you first arrive. Their check-in booth is loaded with bottles of insecticide to try and keep the ants out of their booth. Very inconsiderate not to notify their guests. We camped at Sweetwater Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

twidget1995

The spaces are huge and well maintained. The only really bad thing I have to say is that there is no laundry room available. And the restrooms don't provide handsoap. We camped at Sweetwater Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

jackalama

A great place to camp with the family. The kids play area is great. The new section of the campground is much more tolerable for larger motorhomes and trailers. A nice weekend getaway. We camped at Sweetwater Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

rvmarc

Best deal in San Diego. Located on a bluff overlooking a valley. The new section of the campground was great. We stayed 3 weeks, and did everything in San Diego. We camped at Sweetwater Regional Park in a Motorhome.

MBlover99

Nightly rate reflects (3) dog charge of $1/each/day and full hookups. If electric and water and no pets, then $24/night. We stay here every year; the park is manned by SD park rangers and camp host "volunteers". They have lots of programs for kids throughout the year. Beautiful territorial views from a lot of the sites. Actually my wife's favorite park. They allow people to bring their horses in and have individual corrals (horses are $2/each/day) Most of the time the weather is perfect! Landscaping is kept up fairly well, but this late in the spring the foxtails are huge and hard to avoid getting them in the dog's ears (local vet charged $175 to remove one). Their accounting practices leave a little to be desired; when i was overcharged $63 I was told that SD County doesn't believe in refunds but a credit towards future use. Everyone that works here has been very friendly and kind. Will return again next year but there are private parks that are cheaper. We camped at Sweetwater Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

RFCN2

This park has had a major upgrade and now has 150 RV and tent sites. Actually they are all RV sites, but some are suitable for tents and there were some tenters here last weekend. I stayed for the first 2 days in the new section during the week and the cost was 30 dollars. That included electric, water, and sewer. Stayed in the old section over the weekend and we only had electric and water. The whole park now does have 50 amp power. I would have given this park a 10 if the Wi-Fi would have worked. I stayed in site 70 the first two nights and it has a distant ocean view. The sunset the first night was spectacular. And that night, when you looked to the east, there was a great moonrise. There are several freeways around this park so it is not silent, but not really loud either. I did have to back out of my pull through site as the exit was too steep and going to hang up the bottom of our coach. The new sites are very large with concrete pads. They have planted trees, but they have not grown yet. The good thing was my satellite dish worked in the new section and not in the old. The old section is like a forest. There are very nice child playground facilities. There are also many sites with small horse stalls. Overall this is a great RV Park. If you have a GPS over a year old, this will be a harder than normal park to find. There are new freeways and only the GPS in my cell phone knew about the changes. This is a County of San Diego park and they have a very good website for making reservations. We camped at Sweetwater Regional Park in a Motorhome.

DG Miller

We started out booked in the lower level campground area and quickly were being overrun with ants. About 100 in the dog dish in the trailer and a stream of them marching in and out along the satellite cable, up the wall, through a tiny opening in a slideout, down to the dish. We moved to the upper level and encountered some ants outside but they are under control in the new area, so far. The concrete pads versus the gravel in the lower level helps keep things under control. Very modern restrooms, showers in the new area. Green grass available in the park area but not at the upper level sites themselves, just a few steps away. Generally we had a good experience aside from one very old motorhome which moved in next door. Five dogs were let loose to defecate wherever, until we complained to the staff and soon they were brought somewhat under control. Aside from the ants initally and the one set of short-term neighbours, everything was quite good. We will be staying in the upper level again. We camped at Sweetwater Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

SierraCamper

Usually, my family and I camp in State Parks, National Parks, or National Forest campgrounds. I was a little surprised to see so many people "living" at the campground. Although some of these "live in" trailers were well maintained, a few looked a little derelict. Seeing old pickup trucks rusting in front of dirty trailers wasn't something I expected to see at a county park. Another problem my wife and I incurred was the amount of traffic. My wife always wears earplugs when we are camping, which I think is unconscionable and I usually like to hear the sounds of nature while trying to get to sleep. The first night we were there, I was woken up numerous times by cars speeding (not driving 10 m.p.h.) through the campground. When I heard cars driving through at 11:00 P.M., I thought it was O.K. But, when cars were driving in and out at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, and 4:00 in the morning, I wondered what kind of campground we were staying at. Needless to say, I wore earplugs for the rest of our stay and slept well. Another issue was the ants! I couldn't believe how many ants were in the campground. My wife and I camp 6-7 times a year in our trailer, and this was the first time we've ever had an ant invasion. It wasn't a stream of ants that you could identify as to where they were coming from, but just loads of ants everywhere! They literally took over the trailer and made it hard to sleep without having to wake up and shoo off ants every hour or so. And, you can't use any ant spray or traps on your site to get rid of them! On the positive side, the bathrooms and showers were well-maintained. The park itself was beautiful and the sites were nice. We might camp at Sweetwater again, but it would probably be a last resort now as opposed to our first choice. If you do go, try to get an inside loop site. If you do, you'll have plenty of grass in front of your camp! We camped at Sweetwater Regional Park in a Tent Trailer.

LittleFritz

Overall, a nice county park. About 20 minutes to downtown San Diego. All sites with cement picnic tables and fire rings. Sites are mainly pull-through. Sites are long enough for big rigs but fairly narrow. We have a 35' trailer with slides on both sides and can make it but there is little room remaining in the site. Pull-through sites are split-level and separated by trees and shrubs, making them fairly private and pretty. On the downside, the park seems to allow local transients. They are usually placed in the outer back-in slots. Some are in tents and others in decrepit motor homes and trailers. The rangers seem to have control over them; although, it makes the park less attractive. I would rate this about an 8 without the transients. We camped at Sweetwater Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Sweetwater Regional Park?