8 Good

3218 Summit Meadow Rd
Bonita, California 91902

• Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Horse Camp Horse Camp yes

Ask fellow campers about "Sweetwater Summit Regional Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $34.00

I was in #17 and stayed for a week, price is weekly rate. Back in, with room for the car. A very nice gravel/dirt spot. Excellent services. The park is very convenient to San Diego's many attractions after a 15-30 minute drive. Did my driving after or before rush hours. Best thing is that the parks nightly price is much better then nearly all the RV parks in the area. Although not mentioned on their web site, this park has high speed Wifi. Unfortunately, it drops out suddenly and completely several times per day. I found that the cell phone internet connection also dropped out at the same times when I tried to tether to it so it's not the parks fault but the ISP's. A great feature of the parks web site is the reservation system that shows available spaces you can choose for your visit. I was in the loop where there are lots of trees, the other loops are more open. Park is very quiet, attractive, good WES. There are horses there occasionally. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Watch for the 25MPH speed zone down the street from the park entrance on San Miguel Rd. Cops there sometimes along with many children playing at the ball park.

Several small strip malls along Bonita road with the usual businesses including Vons supermarket (expensive!). There's a couple taco shops with really good food and lots of it. There are groceries, shopping, golf, and restaurants within 2-4 miles.

Went downtown four of the 7 days (mid-week) for the Harbor Cruise, the Midway Museum, Maritime Museum, Old Town restoration area, and the world famous SD Zoo. Public transport is possible but takes quite a bit of time to get anywhere so I chose to drive. Parking was never an issue because I'd get to places at 9AM. Cost was $10 at the Midway and harbor cruise total (right next to each other, didn't need to re-park), $5 for the Maritime right near the gate...parking meters take Visa or DC, $0 for Old Town, and $0 for the zoo. The zoo safari is 45 minutes north of town so I didn't do that trip...

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $30.00

Large sites, huge separation, seems like everyone has a view over a valley of highways. Only half kidding. Great county park. Seems like all San Diego "regional" parks are great. A bit far from anything but still only about a half hour from the beaches. Worth it. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

San Diego? Too many things to list. Depends on your likes. Cabrillo National Monument, The Dog Beach (for dog owners, or Fiesta Island Park, an entire island for dogs), and The Coronado Hotel beach (to just hang out and people watch) are our favorites. If you like people, the Gaslight District, Seaport, and Little Italy are next. Balboa Park and the zoo follow. Great city.

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $33.00

Long paved sites, concrete pads with asphalt aproaches. Great view of the Sweetwater valley down to the Ocean from the site. Lots of tall vegetation between sites for privacy. Helpful staff work hard to maintain an excellant park. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Very convienient to all San Diego attractions.

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $33.00

This park is a gem but is in the beginnings of decay due to the homeless staying in here. There are two areas old and new. Highly recommend that you stay in the new area. Our neighbours were down on their luck but still had a Harley. They were tuning up the Harley over two to three days. There is no night supervision in this park but they give you a phone number for the Sheriff's office. Make sure you get the number! We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Sweetwater Summit Regional Park

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $33.00

We are currently staying in spot #129. I was able to choose this spot when making online reservations. FYI - if you are a Distinguished Veteran Pass holder, you can camp here for free. See the park website for more details. On to the good stuff...when possible, make every effort to arrive here in the day time. The roads leading to the park are not lit at all and be a little dicey even if you have good vision. The folks at the gate were very friendly and helpful when we arrived. The signs that they said would lead me to our site where a little hard to read and we ended up having to make some extra turns. The site is nice and level and the hookups are in great condition. Outside firewood is prohibited which is a bummer. What isn't a bummer is being able to have bonfires within city limits. It is 10 PM right now so we don't know what it looks like in the day but we are looking forward to exploring in the morning. I will update this review accordingly. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

129 North Loop

Get here in the day time. Bring cash so you can purchase firewood, if you want to have a bonfire of course. Bring bikes to get around the campground should you want to go exploring.

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $36.00

We booked on-line, so we were able to pick the site we wanted. There is a $5 reservation fee, for booking on-line. This is also not like some other parks, where if you don't show up, you loose your site. Here, once you pay for the site, you don't loose it, it yours for the time you paid for. Getting into the park is via some narrow, hilly streets, but it is doable. The interior roads are asphalt, with the sites being concrete. They have Wi-fi, but the security certificate has expired, so we didn't use it. Antenna TV worked well, except we were not able to get CBS. Satellite TV was good, as did our AT&T cell phones. The connections were easy to locate and easy to get connected. Our site was long enough that we could have fit 2 of our coaches on it and still have room to park the toad. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: December, 2017 - $33.00

Very nice County park 20 minutes SE of San Diego. Maybe it's the time of year, but we have had no issues with ants, as others have. Clean, paved roads and concrete pads on the upper circle. No WiFi, but good Verizon signal here and lovely views from our campsite. If the place had WiFi and didn't charge for showers, it would be a perfect 10 in my opinion. Lots of space between sites, with some brush and bushes to provide a bit of privacy. We would return if in the area again. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Pizzo's Pizzeria is a 10 minute drive from here and has some of the best pizza we've ever eaten (get the Neapolitan style pies).

Date of Stay: December, 2017 - $33.00

Very nice site in the upper area of the park. Nice concrete pads and in good shape and level. Almost everything about the park is good. We did not have ants this visit(well a few and I sprayed). The coin operated showers, except for the handicap one, are a joke. The quantity and pressure of the water is almost none existent. The handicap stall is better than an average shower with excellent pressure and volume. Guess which shower gets used by the majority! They do need to improve the others. Very roomy sites. No trees in the upper but lots of space. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $35.00

Beautiful location with a view of city lights. We stayed here 3 nights and never saw an ant. Did see a roadrunner and ground squirrels. Sight was concrete, level, and easy in and out. We drove around and saw several other sites we would like to try. We had no trees, but weather was nice. Near San Diego, and Chula Vista is right down the road with everything you will need. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

San Diego is only 15 minutes away. Lots to do there. We will be back next year to stay longer and see more. Vons and Albertson's very close for food. Lots of restaurants and gas just down the road. Came down on I-5 and 805. Went back up north on 15. Traffic on both, but less on 15. However, 15 has a number of ups and downs, while I-5 is flat and has a view of the ocean.

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $33.00

I really like this campground, but unless they get the ant problem in control, I will not be back. The sites are large, with a great view, and reasonably priced for full hookups. Roads and site pads are in good condition, as well. Overall, it is a great campground, but there are ants. Within a few hours, I had thousands and thousands of them marching into my RV. I put out Terro ant bait and sprinkled borax around outside, and even sprayed with some Raid I had, but within 6 hours they were back in full force. I went out to a hardware and bought some more powerful ant and roach killer and sprayed it outside and inside, following the ant tracks. I also took the bathroom drawer out and sprayed back there where there were a lot of electrical and water connections. All of this made me cough so I had to turn on fans and open windows. I also followed the lead of some neighbors and tied my electric cord and water hose up so neither touched the ground. This did make the ants mostly go away, but the floor on the inside of my rig was sticky with Terro and spray residue, so that meant a lot of cleaning. I talked to several neighbors who had had the same problems. You could also see a lot of white borax or Comet residue on a lot of sites. The response of the staff was that the whole campground was a giant ant hill, so what did I expect? They also said I should have put a barrier of spray and borax around my unit to prevent the ants. If that is what was needed, it should have been included on the confirmation letter as a warning so I could have come prepared with more chemicals. (Someone did come around and sprayed, which helped for a few hours, but did not eliminate the ants.) Instead of relaxing, I spent a lot of my time spraying and protecting my RV and then cleaning up the mess afterwards. I also had trouble sleeping because I felt "buggy." We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $35.00

This is a great campground located 20 minutes outside of SanDiego. Sites are concrete, level and spacious surrounded by shrubs and bushes. Staff are very nice and accommodating. NIce playground with water/splash park. The park has a rustic feel with modern conveniences. Heed the previous comments about ants. Set up your barrier with comet like substance and you will not have a problem. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

lmg

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $35.00

Fabulous country park located just 14 miles from downtown San Diego. The park is has an older section with lots of shade, gravel sites and a few full hookups and a newer section without shade, cement pads and full hookups. Lots of space between sites and nicely landscaped. The newer section is Big Rig friendly. Half the sites are backins and the rest are pull throughs. Ants can be a problem at certain times a year so be prepared with baby powder to surround your RV.

Beautiful views of the surrounding area and Sweetwater reservoir. We stay is lots of RV parks and this is one of our favorites. We will stay here again. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $29.00

Clean nice County Park Near San Diego. Near Bonita and Spring Valley. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Downtown San Diego is close by also Balboa Park. As close as the park is to Major Highways it's still quiet at night

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $33.00

One of the best kept secrets in San Diego County, no more! This RV park is cleaner, larger, and more scenic than any of the other RV parks in the area, but costs way less. Because it's owned by the County, they don't worry about making a profit and can pour more money into it. There's a decent amount of space between lots. There are no raunchy parties going on, no screaming kids, but you get great views of hills, canyons, and Sweetwater Reservoir. There's hiking out here too. Wi-Fi is free, but tough to get on because everyone else is streaming Netflix, so definitely bring your own Jetpack. Before taking a reservation here, call the Park office and get a membership, which costs only $30.00, but gets you $3.00 discount per night, and eliminates the $5.00 park reservation fee. Space #129 has the most killer view, but is very conspicuous from other spaces. Space #112 is a handicapped space, but offers the most privacy, and has a view of Sweetwater Reservoir; the park will book it to you if every other space is booked, or if you have any proof of disability, like a Medicare card, Disabled National Parks Pass, et al. There's a section of the park where spaces have horse corrals. One section is all dirt, and another is all paved. There are several restroom/shower facilities. The showers are coin-operated. The staff here is very friendly, the camp spots are generally well taken care of. Lots of bunny rabbits running around. The park sells long-burning firewood for $5.00. Maximum length of stay is 21 nights, and then you can come back after 7 days. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Concrete, Gravel

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $33.00

This is a amazing park with a lovely view. The grounds are very well maintained and the staff helpful and friendly. We stayed in the North Loop Campground. Large concrete pad, fire ring and oversized picnic table on crushed granite. Plenty of walking paths and trails. We throughly enjoyed our time in the San Diego area and would positively stay here again. The only drawback was that even when we had dusted outside for ants, somehow on day 11 of our 15 day stay we found ants inside our trailer. Not sure what could be done, but it seems ants are a theme among the reviews. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

146 North Loop

Sweetwater Summit is located in Bonita, which is literally a part of San Diego. Everything we wanted to see was within a 20-30 minute drive. Temecula Wine Country is 1 hour drive time.

Featured Campgrounds Near Sweetwater Summit Regional Park

Are you affiliated with Sweetwater Summit Regional Park ?