Bonita, California

Elevation: 241' (approximate)
  • Laundry Facilities Laundry Facilities no
  • Corral Corral yes
  • Free WiFi Free WiFi yes
  • Verizon, T-Mobile Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers Verizon,T-Mobile
  • Meeting Rooms Meeting Rooms yes
  • Horseshoe Pit Horseshoe Pit yes
  • Amphitheatre Amphitheatre yes
  • Lake Lake yes
  • Water Park Water Park yes

Ask fellow campers about "Sweetwater Summit Regional Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $36.00

We booked on-line, so we were able to pick the site we wanted. There is a $5 reservation fee, for booking on-line. This is also not like some other parks, where if you don't show up, you loose your site. Here, once you pay for the site, you don't loose it, it yours for the time you paid for. Getting into the park is via some narrow, hilly streets, but it is doable. The interior roads are asphalt, with the sites being concrete. They have Wi-fi, but the security certificate has expired, so we didn't use it. Antenna TV worked well, except we were not able to get CBS. Satellite TV was good, as did our AT&T cell phones. The connections were easy to locate and easy to get connected. Our site was long enough that we could have fit 2 of our coaches on it and still have room to park the toad. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $33.00

We are currently staying in spot #129. I was able to choose this spot when making online reservations. FYI - if you are a Distinguished Veteran Pass holder, you can camp here for free. See the park website for more details. On to the good stuff...when possible, make every effort to arrive here in the day time. The roads leading to the park are not lit at all and be a little dicey even if you have good vision. The folks at the gate were very friendly and helpful when we arrived. The signs that they said would lead me to our site where a little hard to read and we ended up having to make some extra turns. The site is nice and level and the hookups are in great condition. Outside firewood is prohibited which is a bummer. What isn't a bummer is being able to have bonfires within city limits. It is 10 PM right now so we don't know what it looks like in the day but we are looking forward to exploring in the morning. I will update this review accordingly. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

129 North Loop

Get here in the day time. Bring cash so you can purchase firewood, if you want to have a bonfire of course. Bring bikes to get around the campground should you want to go exploring.

Date of Stay: December, 2017 - $33.00

Very nice site in the upper area of the park. Nice concrete pads and in good shape and level. Almost everything about the park is good. We did not have ants this visit(well a few and I sprayed). The coin operated showers, except for the handicap one, are a joke. The quantity and pressure of the water is almost none existent. The handicap stall is better than an average shower with excellent pressure and volume. Guess which shower gets used by the majority! They do need to improve the others. Very roomy sites. No trees in the upper but lots of space. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: December, 2017 - $33.00

Very nice County park 20 minutes SE of San Diego. Maybe it's the time of year, but we have had no issues with ants, as others have. Clean, paved roads and concrete pads on the upper circle. No WiFi, but good Verizon signal here and lovely views from our campsite. If the place had WiFi and didn't charge for showers, it would be a perfect 10 in my opinion. Lots of space between sites, with some brush and bushes to provide a bit of privacy. We would return if in the area again. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Pizzo's Pizzeria is a 10 minute drive from here and has some of the best pizza we've ever eaten (get the Neapolitan style pies).

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $33.00

I really like this campground, but unless they get the ant problem in control, I will not be back. The sites are large, with a great view, and reasonably priced for full hookups. Roads and site pads are in good condition, as well. Overall, it is a great campground, but there are ants. Within a few hours, I had thousands and thousands of them marching into my RV. I put out Terro ant bait and sprinkled borax around outside, and even sprayed with some Raid I had, but within 6 hours they were back in full force. I went out to a hardware and bought some more powerful ant and roach killer and sprayed it outside and inside, following the ant tracks. I also took the bathroom drawer out and sprayed back there where there were a lot of electrical and water connections. All of this made me cough so I had to turn on fans and open windows. I also followed the lead of some neighbors and tied my electric cord and water hose up so neither touched the ground. This did make the ants mostly go away, but the floor on the inside of my rig was sticky with Terro and spray residue, so that meant a lot of cleaning. I talked to several neighbors who had had the same problems. You could also see a lot of white borax or Comet residue on a lot of sites. The response of the staff was that the whole campground was a giant ant hill, so what did I expect? They also said I should have put a barrier of spray and borax around my unit to prevent the ants. If that is what was needed, it should have been included on the confirmation letter as a warning so I could have come prepared with more chemicals. (Someone did come around and sprayed, which helped for a few hours, but did not eliminate the ants.) Instead of relaxing, I spent a lot of my time spraying and protecting my RV and then cleaning up the mess afterwards. I also had trouble sleeping because I felt "buggy." We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $35.00

Beautiful location with a view of city lights. We stayed here 3 nights and never saw an ant. Did see a roadrunner and ground squirrels. Sight was concrete, level, and easy in and out. We drove around and saw several other sites we would like to try. We had no trees, but weather was nice. Near San Diego, and Chula Vista is right down the road with everything you will need. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

San Diego is only 15 minutes away. Lots to do there. We will be back next year to stay longer and see more. Vons and Albertson's very close for food. Lots of restaurants and gas just down the road. Came down on I-5 and 805. Went back up north on 15. Traffic on both, but less on 15. However, 15 has a number of ups and downs, while I-5 is flat and has a view of the ocean.

lmg

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $35.00

Fabulous country park located just 14 miles from downtown San Diego. The park is has an older section with lots of shade, gravel sites and a few full hookups and a newer section without shade, cement pads and full hookups. Lots of space between sites and nicely landscaped. The newer section is Big Rig friendly. Half the sites are backins and the rest are pull throughs. Ants can be a problem at certain times a year so be prepared with baby powder to surround your RV.

Beautiful views of the surrounding area and Sweetwater reservoir. We stay is lots of RV parks and this is one of our favorites. We will stay here again. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $35.00

This is a great campground located 20 minutes outside of SanDiego. Sites are concrete, level and spacious surrounded by shrubs and bushes. Staff are very nice and accommodating. NIce playground with water/splash park. The park has a rustic feel with modern conveniences. Heed the previous comments about ants. Set up your barrier with comet like substance and you will not have a problem. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $29.00

Clean nice County Park Near San Diego. Near Bonita and Spring Valley. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Downtown San Diego is close by also Balboa Park. As close as the park is to Major Highways it's still quiet at night

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $33.00

One of the best kept secrets in San Diego County, no more! This RV park is cleaner, larger, and more scenic than any of the other RV parks in the area, but costs way less. Because it's owned by the County, they don't worry about making a profit and can pour more money into it. There's a decent amount of space between lots. There are no raunchy parties going on, no screaming kids, but you get great views of hills, canyons, and Sweetwater Reservoir. There's hiking out here too. Wi-Fi is free, but tough to get on because everyone else is streaming Netflix, so definitely bring your own Jetpack. Before taking a reservation here, call the Park office and get a membership, which costs only $30.00, but gets you $3.00 discount per night, and eliminates the $5.00 park reservation fee. Space #129 has the most killer view, but is very conspicuous from other spaces. Space #112 is a handicapped space, but offers the most privacy, and has a view of Sweetwater Reservoir; the park will book it to you if every other space is booked, or if you have any proof of disability, like a Medicare card, Disabled National Parks Pass, et al. There's a section of the park where spaces have horse corrals. One section is all dirt, and another is all paved. There are several restroom/shower facilities. The showers are coin-operated. The staff here is very friendly, the camp spots are generally well taken care of. Lots of bunny rabbits running around. The park sells long-burning firewood for $5.00. Maximum length of stay is 21 nights, and then you can come back after 7 days. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

Concrete, Gravel

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $33.00

This is a amazing park with a lovely view. The grounds are very well maintained and the staff helpful and friendly. We stayed in the North Loop Campground. Large concrete pad, fire ring and oversized picnic table on crushed granite. Plenty of walking paths and trails. We throughly enjoyed our time in the San Diego area and would positively stay here again. The only drawback was that even when we had dusted outside for ants, somehow on day 11 of our 15 day stay we found ants inside our trailer. Not sure what could be done, but it seems ants are a theme among the reviews. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

146 North Loop

Sweetwater Summit is located in Bonita, which is literally a part of San Diego. Everything we wanted to see was within a 20-30 minute drive. Temecula Wine Country is 1 hour drive time.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $33.00

We really wanted to enjoy this park, but the ants ruined it for us. We'd read various reviews that mentioned them so we chose a site in the new section with concrete pads hoping for the best. But first, the rest of the review. When we arrived we were told that the site we reserved (#126) was going to be too short for our 37' motorhome, so they moved us into a spare site (#70) which was much longer. Great service! The sites in the new section are wide with good spacing between sites, sites ranging from short (35') to super long (probably 80'). Although our site was a pull-through, we had to back-out due to a steep and uneven crest at the front of the site where we would have bottomed out. There's lots of low-lying desert vegetation between sites which provides a green barrier, but there are no trees, so sites don't have any privacy. The older section is heavily wooded with tall trees, but the sites are smaller and closer together. In the new section the western-most sites (#115-#135) get some constant highway noise from route 125. We also had helicopters flying right overhead quite often, many times per day. The adjacent lake is actually a water reservoir, so it's completely fenced off, much to our dog's dismay. Instead we drove him downtown to one of the dog beaches several times during our stay so he could swim. There's a supermarket (Vons) and some stores a few miles west in Bonita, but for big box stores, malls, theaters, etc. you'll need to drive around 15 minutes south. AT&T and Verizon both worked well. When using your GPS, be sure to specify "Sweetwater Summit Regional Park". If you leave off "Summit" it will take you to a different park a mile away. Now for the ants: they were out in force in July, including in the new section. We surrounded our site, power, water, and sewer with diatomaceous earth but still had swarms of ants inside the rig several times. Unfortunately, this is the main reason we don't plan to return. It was too hard to keep them out. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $33.00

Sweetwater Regional Park is our GO TO when visiting San Diego. This was our 3rd visit over several years and we have never been disappointed. It is one of San Diego Counties excellent parks. Spacious sites, although not all are level, but in "new section" all have concrete pads. Many have nice views. Staff are friendly and can sell you a decent sized bundle of wood for $5. Most sites handle large RVs. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $33.00

I stayed in one of the upper, new section, full hookup sites and was very pleasantly surprised by the view and the pleasant breeze. The campground is on a hill and is terraced so nearly all sites have terrific views of the valley and mountains in the distance. Sites are large with greenery in between and lots of separation between you and your neighbors. Pads are wider-than-usual cement with asphalt entrances and roadways. Patio areas are raked gravel and very well taken care of. This upper section is fairly new so hookups worked and were well-placed. There is a little road noise from the freeway in the valley, but a lot better than some places. Also, 5 bars of Verizon coverage. I was here on Easter weekend, and it was busy, but no problems with overly noisy neighbors. Did not see any ants, which may be more prevalent in the older camping area. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: February, 2016 - $35.00

We were looking for a place around San Diego that was nice and a little different, and we found it. We enjoyed our stay here. We were in space 115 in the 'new section'. We had a view of the entire valley and great sunsets through our front window. Our space was a little low in the back, but easy to level. A great place to walk, nice people, and no ants. The restrooms were great. Each one a complete 'unisex' room with shower. The cost was twenty-five cents for each two minutes with a four minute minimum. There is no soap or towels of any kind in the restroom, but do not fear, there is TP. We enjoyed our six days here. We would stay here again. We camped at Sweetwater Summit Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Great beach at Imperial Beach.

Are you affiliated with Sweetwater Summit Regional Park ?