Silver Strand State Beach

• Beach Access Beach Access yes
  • Horseshoe Pit Horseshoe Pit no
  • Ocean Ocean yes

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $50.00

As others have stated, the spaces are close together, but we had enough room to put both our slides out. There's a public restroom, but RV park guests aren't supposed to use it (but they do anyway). They're sticklers about check-in time (at least in the summer). The line starts building just before 2:00 and can take over an hour. There are four rows (100-400). The beach is only steps away with the 100 and 200 numbered spaces closest to the water - they're also the hardest to get. We were in the third row #303. We couldn't see the beach, but enjoyed the view of the bay. The last two rows in the park (spaces 300-400) hear cars from the main road that runs along the coast. Overall, this is good for enjoying the beach and mild weather (although it was really windy all 3 days we were there). You have to go into the town of Coronado, approximately 5 miles, to get food or supplies. There are also no fire rings or picnic tables at each site. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $65.00

This is a paved site on the ocean. The numbers starting with '1 are along the ocean front line, there are 3 more rows behind, but all very close to the beach. There is enough room for your motorhome, and one vehicle on each site. You cannot tent camp here. The beach is outstanding, and that is the only attraction. There are no programs, community areas, etc., here. The beach has a few firepits that people lay claim to early in the day. There is a free shuttle van to Coronado every 30 minutes: 9a-9p across the street. The attendants will not let you in 1 minute prior to 2pm, and will not let you line up, so park in the public lot till the time arrives. It is a fairly quiet park, except for the occasional party group. There are no trees, or picnic tables provided: so be prepared. You can only use a self-contained (kitchen, toilet) camper here. The do have power, water and sewer. Sites on the first and last row are back in. The center two rows are pull thru. Pets are ok on a 6 ft leash at all times. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Gates close about 8p-830pm. So if you have gone into town with you car: mind the time so you are not locked out. You can take a taxi to the gate and walk in- it is about a 15 minute walk from where the taxi can drop you outside the gate.

Date of Stay: December, 2015 - $50.00

We camped here because the park is about 1/2 mile away from family living in military housing, otherwise I would not have a reason to camp here as I am not a big beach person. But if it's your thing you are 'right on the sand' especially in the front row and you want a communal party atmosphere.

It is a glorified parking lot with everyone crammed in closely. I was just able to park my F250 parallel to my TT, folding the mirror in to avoid it being in the way of people going by in the other site.

The biggest problem as other people will attest to is the gates-locked-at-7pm madness. This completely prevents you from going into Coronado for dinner and night life unless you want a long bicycle ride there and back. Also makes check-in after 7 impossible.

The reason this is so is because the park is co-located with several large day-use parking lots, and rather than set it up properly so there is night time in and out for the RV park, they just close the whole thing off at night rather than pay for a night guard at the road entrance.

Noise: This is a noisy campground depending on where you are located and when you come there can be heavy road noise, and your neighbors up until quiet time at 10pm. The sodium vapor lamps also flood the lot until 10pm when they are thankfully shut off.

During the winter (just after thanksgiving) they build large sand berms to protect from the waves which blocks your view and also makes the road noise very loud compared to the ocean noise. Also in the winter the back rows of the park are also empty and there is nothing to block the very loud road noise from Silver Strand Blvd all night long. In the summer I suspect you can enjoy the ocean noise a lot more while having the road noise blocked out, but get a space as close to the beach as you can. The front row seems perpetually sold out.

The place is safe and family friendly, lots of kids on bicycles and other conveyances. Portable wood fire pits are popular. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

2nd row

Lots of great restaurants and shops in Coronado, take your vehicle or bicycle along the bike path that runs the length of the strand. Also do walk in and around the historic Hotel Del Coronado.

For longer day trips visit Balboa Park and its many museums and beautiful architecture and programs. For a romantic high end date on the mainland, head to the Gaslamp district downtown SD.

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $50.00

I'm a local as I live in San Diego. My grand kids came in with their parents and spend 3 days in the water. They all had one of the best vacations and want to come back. I will give you the negative stuff first but let me say I would and will do it again. Everything that was said in the newer (after 2014) reviews is correct except about the spaces being level. I drive a 40 foot RV. If the park had been full I may not have gotten my rig into the space. With slides out I had 1 foot on one side and with the canopy out I had about 1 foot on the other side. I own a Honda Fit and was able to park it just so the RV door would open and I had 1 foot left on that side. It does have water and power now with a dump station available. The gates lock at 9pm and if you are outside you have a 1 1/2 miles to get to your RV walking. Dogs are allowed in the park, but not on the beach. All of the spaces are level enough for trailers or RV if they are around 30 feet. Most space will level a 40 footers. But I saw some regulars that had made 6 inch block to drive their RV's onto so they could be level. I was lucky in that my spot was almost flat but if I had been in 400 to 404 spaces I would not have been able to level it out. almost all of the 100 (on the beach) are level enough for big rigs as are most of the 200 spaces. it is the low 300 - 315 or so (south of the check-in building) and the 400 spaces at either end of the park that are an issue. I'm local and will go over there sometime and make a list of space level enough for 36 and larger RV's. Weekends at the park are full. I recommend making this a non-weekend stop. That is all of the negative stuff. Beach is great good surf for boogie boards and kids lots of seaweed however. Some campfire rings are on the beach but lots of people brought portable campfire rings. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Pavers

It is San Diego. Seaport village, USS Midway, exploring Coronado and the Hotel Del Coronado. The Hotel is ok but not as good as it used to be 10 years ago. Hotel parking lot $30 for two hours or if you spend $50 you get validation for 3 hours. Other places I recommend Point Loma Lighthouse, Cabrillo Monument, for a great view of San Diego and some interesting history. Then there are the Maritime museum, Zoo Balboa Park and lots more. Just check out Tripadviser for the rest.

Date of Stay: October, 2014 - $50.00

The sites are tight, level and clean. This is our first parking lot campground. We usually like a more natural setting and cheaper campgrounds but we were both raised in southern California so we enjoy some beach time once in a while. I’m glad we came. The beach is beautiful here. The location is good for exploring Coronado, Point Loma Lighthouse, Cabrillo Monument and birding at the Fort Rosecrans Cemetery. This is our first California State Beach in our motorhome. I’m very happy with the staff and fellow campers here. Campers brought their own campfire pits so I saw several different campfire pits in the campgrounds. I would come back if we had a site on the ocean or if we came with a group of people. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2013 - $65.00

I have not camped here in over 4 years however I did stop by to check out the new upgrades. They just reopened the park within the last 2 months. It's not cheap. And there is curfew at night. Gate is closed and locked. No sewer at the site but there is a dump station. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2013 - $60.00

It is basically a large parking lot with sites right on top of one another. The place was packed, but the park rangers are really good about enforcing the quiet hours, which makes it peaceful at night, as you can hear the waves crashing on the beach. Due to the location the rangers lock the gates at (I think it was) 9pm, meaning no one in/out until they open them back up in the morning (which I think was 7 or 8); this seemed odd to me. If you have dogs there is a great dog beach on the island, about a 10 minute drive. Dogs are allowed in the park, buf not on the beach. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2012 - $18.00

Have stayed here many time many times now. For beach front or close to beach it's my favorite. It's just a 4 row asphalt parking lot with no hook-ups. There is one water spigot to fill your tank when you arrive or run out. The ocean beach is wonderful and the bayside beach is just as nice. You can access either one very easily depending on your desired activity. Very close to Coronado or Imperial Beach for anything you may need. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Truck Camper.

Date of Stay: October, 2011 - $50.00

You have to love asphalt and no hookups because this is it. Also they lock the entry gate about 9pm and it remains so until 8 am. This eliminates going out to see the city at night, and it is a long walk from the gate to the RV lot! No Generators from 9 until 10am in the morning - so no microwave foods or coffee. That being said, the surf is usually up and if you can do without all the amenities, it is a fun place - rather pricey however. Ranked down to a 7 because I think the gate and generator issue is unrealistic. Also in summer they will not let you register until 2pm - causing long lines when they do start to register campers. Be aware. If you want to wait in an adjacent parking lot you can -- for $30! No other nearby parking available. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: January, 2011 - $50.00

We were in a beach front site #123. We were a little disappointed when we arrived as we expected an unimpeded view of the beach and ocean from our site. However, in Winter, a Sand Berm piled high just between the RVs and the beach to protect against any storm surges, blocks your view of the beach and ocean. Bummer. But we still enjoyed the location tremendously. It's still great to be right at the beach front and it's a nice beach. Too bad our dog didn't have a chance to view the ocean since they are not allowed on the beach. Also, there is practically no greenery around for your dog to wander on. The parking lot style no-hookup campsites weren't great, especially when your neighbors may have their generators on the whole day from 10am-8pm - but it's not too bad. I have to say that I found the campground hosts to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. I know that a number of reviewers took exception to their strict enforcement of rules. But we all obeyed the rules and didn't have any problems. We will certainly be back again. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2010 - $50.00

Stayed in a beachfront site this time vs an inland site last stay, the only way to go, but you must book ahead. Stayed in #104 (which was the old #105) it gives you some separation from the next rig as there is an emergency vehicle lane between you and the next site #103, which is a handicap site. Lifeguard station #5 is in your line of site to the beach but it really isn't a big deal. As usual, tons of shells to pick up including those elusive black sand dollars. The navy seals were very active in training on the beach all week which is always interesting. Several pods of dolphins spotted headed up and down the coast. Also spotted very easily the newest nuclear powered aircraft carrier the Ronald Reagan doing sea trials right off the coast after its last sprucing up. Lots of naval activity, air and sea, to watch all day long. Great place to relax on the beach. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2010 - $35.00

This is a 4 row, asphalt parking lot located right on the beach. There are absolutely no hook-ups, but fresh water is available for your rig upon your arrival so you don't have to transport it. You must be fully self contained to camp here. The current gate hours are 8am to 8pm and they are locked tight from 8pm to 8am, so if you are planning to stay late at Sea World for the fire works, don't! Has an awesome beach for swimming, fishing and shell collecting. Lots of naval ships going by to look at. It is 5 minutes to downtown Coronado for eating and shopping. Great place to just relax. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2009 - $25.00

I should have read some of the reviews before we went to this park. The "Parking Lot Nazis" as my son called them, are out of control. They are very picky about rules, but apply them arbitrarily. It was obvious who the "regulars" were, as they got to "fudge" a little. I DO appreciate rules, as it makes for a more pleasant experience for everyone. But if you're going to enforce them, then do it across the board. But, the beach is the beach. It was pretty, the waves were nice. Not sure if we'll ever stay here again, but it wasn't a completely unpleasant experience. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: January, 2009 - $30.00

My family and I camp here at least 4 times a year. We are San Diego natives and Love Coronado. If parking lot concrete camping is what we get than we'll take it. I choose Silver Strand State park over Carlsbad or San Elijo state campgrounds ANYDAY. The one thing to be sure of when reserving is that you GET A BEACHFRONT SPOT. This makes a world of a difference at this campground. Coronado offers the must wonderful beaches with views. This is a tight fit parking lot style campground. The point is: you're out under your easy up on the sand or in the water and not at your camper. The beach allows offers whole sand dollars to find and other pretty shells. In the evening everyone rides their bikes around the giant oval campground surveying each others sites. There are a lot of bond fires and fire pits. It's definitely a people watching place. If you want to take a warm shower you have to ride your bike under the main road onto the San Diego Bay side - into the sailing club building which closes at 7pm and use your quarters. No the bathrooms are not clean - sand everywhere. It might be a tight concrete campground BUT the beaches make up for it therefore, I'll continue to camp here and each visit we'll drop by the Hotel Del Coronado We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: September, 2008 - $25.00

This is was the worst place we have stayed. Forget about the 'quiet hours' rules. The party lasts until late. Most of the other campers were regulars and were 'in' with the park staff. One of the noisiest party campsites was serving breakfast to the rangers the next morning. There was no room to park my tow vehicle (I have a 26 ft Trailer) and no overflow parking. I was told to park it several miles away and walk back. The roads are narrow, and it took 30 minutes to get to my site because I had to wait while other RVs tried to squeeze in to the very narrow parking spots. I will never go back even though we love camping at the beach. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Silver Strand State Beach?