Silver Strand State Beach

Coronado, California

Recent Rate: $50 10/2014

• yes-ocean Waterfront

Seize the Day RV Adventures

The sites are tight, level and clean. This is our first parking lot campground. We usually like a more natural setting and cheaper campgrounds but we were both raised in southern California so we enjoy some beach time once in a while. I’m glad we came. The beach is beautiful here. The location is good for exploring Coronado, Point Loma Lighthouse, Cabrillo Monument and birding at the Fort Rosecrans Cemetery. This is our first California State Beach in our motorhome. I’m very happy with the staff and fellow campers here. Campers brought their own campfire pits so I saw several different campfire pits in the campgrounds. I would come back if we had a site on the ocean or if we came with a group of people. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Jen13

It is basically a large parking lot with sites right on top of one another. The place was packed, but the park rangers are really good about enforcing the quiet hours, which makes it peaceful at night, as you can hear the waves crashing on the beach. Due to the location the rangers lock the gates at (I think it was) 9pm, meaning no one in/out until they open them back up in the morning (which I think was 7 or 8); this seemed odd to me. If you have dogs there is a great dog beach on the island, about a 10 minute drive. Dogs are allowed in the park, buf not on the beach. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Beak

I have not camped here in over 4 years however I did stop by to check out the new upgrades. They just reopened the park within the last 2 months. It's not cheap. And there is curfew at night. Gate is closed and locked. No sewer at the site but there is a dump station. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

User1132

Have stayed here many time many times now. For beach front or close to beach it's my favorite. It's just a 4 row asphalt parking lot with no hook-ups. There is one water spigot to fill your tank when you arrive or run out. The ocean beach is wonderful and the bayside beach is just as nice. You can access either one very easily depending on your desired activity. Very close to Coronado or Imperial Beach for anything you may need. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Truck Camper.

realcog

You have to love asphalt and no hookups because this is it. Also they lock the entry gate about 9pm and it remains so until 8 am. This eliminates going out to see the city at night, and it is a long walk from the gate to the RV lot! No Generators from 9 until 10am in the morning - so no microwave foods or coffee. That being said, the surf is usually up and if you can do without all the amenities, it is a fun place - rather pricey however. Ranked down to a 7 because I think the gate and generator issue is unrealistic. Also in summer they will not let you register until 2pm - causing long lines when they do start to register campers. Be aware. If you want to wait in an adjacent parking lot you can -- for $30! No other nearby parking available. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

rv4photos

We were in a beach front site #123. We were a little disappointed when we arrived as we expected an unimpeded view of the beach and ocean from our site. However, in Winter, a Sand Berm piled high just between the RVs and the beach to protect against any storm surges, blocks your view of the beach and ocean. Bummer. But we still enjoyed the location tremendously. It's still great to be right at the beach front and it's a nice beach. Too bad our dog didn't have a chance to view the ocean since they are not allowed on the beach. Also, there is practically no greenery around for your dog to wander on. The parking lot style no-hookup campsites weren't great, especially when your neighbors may have their generators on the whole day from 10am-8pm - but it's not too bad. I have to say that I found the campground hosts to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. I know that a number of reviewers took exception to their strict enforcement of rules. But we all obeyed the rules and didn't have any problems. We will certainly be back again. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

User1132

Stayed in a beachfront site this time vs an inland site last stay, the only way to go, but you must book ahead. Stayed in #104 (which was the old #105) it gives you some separation from the next rig as there is an emergency vehicle lane between you and the next site #103, which is a handicap site. Lifeguard station #5 is in your line of site to the beach but it really isn't a big deal. As usual, tons of shells to pick up including those elusive black sand dollars. The navy seals were very active in training on the beach all week which is always interesting. Several pods of dolphins spotted headed up and down the coast. Also spotted very easily the newest nuclear powered aircraft carrier the Ronald Reagan doing sea trials right off the coast after its last sprucing up. Lots of naval activity, air and sea, to watch all day long. Great place to relax on the beach. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

User1132

This is a 4 row, asphalt parking lot located right on the beach. There are absolutely no hook-ups, but fresh water is available for your rig upon your arrival so you don't have to transport it. You must be fully self contained to camp here. The current gate hours are 8am to 8pm and they are locked tight from 8pm to 8am, so if you are planning to stay late at Sea World for the fire works, don't! Has an awesome beach for swimming, fishing and shell collecting. Lots of naval ships going by to look at. It is 5 minutes to downtown Coronado for eating and shopping. Great place to just relax. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

coreysonthehill

My family and I camp here at least 4 times a year. We are San Diego natives and Love Coronado. If parking lot concrete camping is what we get than we'll take it. I choose Silver Strand State park over Carlsbad or San Elijo state campgrounds ANYDAY. The one thing to be sure of when reserving is that you GET A BEACHFRONT SPOT. This makes a world of a difference at this campground. Coronado offers the must wonderful beaches with views. This is a tight fit parking lot style campground. The point is: you're out under your easy up on the sand or in the water and not at your camper. The beach allows offers whole sand dollars to find and other pretty shells. In the evening everyone rides their bikes around the giant oval campground surveying each others sites. There are a lot of bond fires and fire pits. It's definitely a people watching place. If you want to take a warm shower you have to ride your bike under the main road onto the San Diego Bay side - into the sailing club building which closes at 7pm and use your quarters. No the bathrooms are not clean - sand everywhere. It might be a tight concrete campground BUT the beaches make up for it therefore, I'll continue to camp here and each visit we'll drop by the Hotel Del Coronado We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

SoCalTricia

I should have read some of the reviews before we went to this park. The "Parking Lot Nazis" as my son called them, are out of control. They are very picky about rules, but apply them arbitrarily. It was obvious who the "regulars" were, as they got to "fudge" a little. I DO appreciate rules, as it makes for a more pleasant experience for everyone. But if you're going to enforce them, then do it across the board. But, the beach is the beach. It was pretty, the waves were nice. Not sure if we'll ever stay here again, but it wasn't a completely unpleasant experience. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

tsparky

This is was the worst place we have stayed. Forget about the 'quiet hours' rules. The party lasts until late. Most of the other campers were regulars and were 'in' with the park staff. One of the noisiest party campsites was serving breakfast to the rangers the next morning. There was no room to park my tow vehicle (I have a 26 ft Trailer) and no overflow parking. I was told to park it several miles away and walk back. The roads are narrow, and it took 30 minutes to get to my site because I had to wait while other RVs tried to squeeze in to the very narrow parking spots. I will never go back even though we love camping at the beach. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Travel Trailer.

lane hog

Silver Strand goes down in our logbook as the worst camping experience we've had. Up to now, the worst was being caught in Yellowstone in 20F temps in a pop-up without a working heater. Silver Strand is not camping. It's a cross between tailgating and a Nascar infield. Very cramped spaces, generators running nonstop, and lots of adult language and beverages in use during all hours of the day. The generator in the site backing up to us ran so long that the carbon monoxide alarm in our coach was going off. With little space between units, this is apparently a very common problem. I'm surprised nobody has died from this yet. Volunteer hosts were very nice, but the state park staff were fairly rude and a little too by-the-book. One of them had my seven year old son in tears because she told him he would be arrested for riding his scooter without a helmet. (Despite the fact that 80% of the kids riding bikes and scooters were without helmets.) The sites which back up to the beach are nice, odd numbers between 49 and 105 if I recall. If you can't get one of those, don't bother. You'd have a better time camping in an RV dealer's parking lot. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

tooch123

Very fun and relaxing park. I love the staff. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Graciela

Great location - ocean on one side, San Diego Bay on the other. Other than that it is the pits. The gates close at 9 PM you can't enter or exit until 8 AM. Packed in like sardines in a parking lot. There are probably two choice spots in the whole park. There was no room to park our truck. We were directed to a lot where we got a parking ticket. The second night we asked the park ranger where we could park. Even though there were empty spots, and three huge empty parking lots, he made us park about 2 miles away on a city street. We left a day early. There is also no dump station nor will they tell you where you can find one. I think that because of the great location they can provide horrible customer service and get away with it. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Fifth Wheel.

HBCoop

We booked one night at this beach location, about 2 hours from our home. We drove in and right back out. It is nothing but a small parking lot with each site just a regular parking space. There was absolutely no room between RVs. No privacy at all, and I'm sure every sound from your neighbor would be heard. It was milling with people. Plus they lock the gate at 8 or 9 PM every night so forget about going out to dinner or such. If you absolutely want to stay at a beach location, give it a try. But we are not that desperate! Near my home at the beach is a city RV area right on the beach where the sites are the size of six regular parking spaces and you get water & electricity hookups. You pay more but the experience would be much more pleasant. We camped at Silver Strand State Beach in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Silver Strand State Beach?