Giant Redwoods RV & Camp

• Horseshoe Pit Horseshoe Pit yes
  • Volley Ball Volley Ball yes
  • River River yes

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $41.00

Over all this place wasn't awful - it was a bit hard to get to and it wasn't easy to navigate. The site was fine but there were a few things that were troublesome.

They did not enforce the dogs on a leash rule, and our pups were charged by two dogs that were off leash. Secondly, the bathrooms were filthy and at one point both women's toilets were clogged and backed up and no one came to fix them.

The wifi is RIDICULOUS. They state FREE wifi, however it's only free for the first 100mb then it's $20 for 5 gigabytes of data use. That's extreme, we've run into a couple "pay" wifi places and they were only $3 to $5 without a limit. So be ready to fork out a ton of cash for wifi access. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Sand

Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $45.00

We love the location, right on the Eel River, so you can jump in any time. The sites are spacious and some of them are shady - the ones that don't look shady usually get shade in the afternoon because there are plenty of trees. The weather was over 100*, but there's a lovely cooling breeze from the river, so we were comfortable. Each roomy site has a picnic table and a fire ring with a grille, so we could cook and there was plenty of room for our truck. Lots of tent sites around the perimeter. Full hookups are available, but we had water and power but no sewer. The dump station is handy and has a hose attached, and everyone was very friendly. Gravel sites. The store is barely a store at all, but does have ice, decent wines, and beers, and the one in town, 1/4 mile away, is hardly better, so come prepared. Very handy to the Avenue of the Giants. Friendly staff, but they need to revise their WiFi policy - you get a small amount of bandwidth with your site, but 1 gig extra is $5 and 5 gigs is $20 extra, and it's for ONE device. So you can't use more than one device while there. You need to shut down the WiFi every time you stop using it. Overall, it was a pleasant stay, but next time we'll be more fully prepared so we don't need to buy anything. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $45.00

I believed the photos of the park, so when we arrived I was at first very disappointed. I expected to park under redwoods and sit by a river...OOPS! The park was nice, but there are really only a few large trees. The river is a large gravel bar with a few small wading pools. Our site was huge with plenty of room to spread out and it was under the alder and birch trees. It was dusty and dry, but it's August. The check-in was friendly and provided all the info we needed. So, I guess if I hadn't had higher hopes for the place I would have rated it higher, but the expectations from the website led me to believe we were camping in the big trees which was what I really wanted to be doing! My mistake. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $40.00

Stayed one night. Beautiful location on Eel River. Very quiet, nice views. New owners appear to me making significant improvements; new restrooms and plantings. Friendly. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Travel Trailer.

Some tight turns; watch side clearances.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $41.00

This was an average park that was more of a campground than an RV park. Lots of tents and loud people who also liked loud music. Dirt/weedy sites with not a lot of amenities. Our Verizon Home Connect phone worked, but not AT&T cell phones. We could not get a good signal through their cable, so we set up our satellite which we were amazingly able to get through the trees. All in all, the people were very nice, but we would probably try another park if we were to come through this area again. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $39.00

We were there for a week. If you like river recreational activities and/or want a central location to visit the area, this campground will meet your needs. Management enforces noise restrictions after 10pm, which we like - even though we were the noisy ones! Office/store is small, minimally stocked. The grounds are well kept. A small grocery store is just a quarter mile away. I would stay there if I had occassion to visit the area again. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Travel Trailer.

Located in the middle of Avenue of the Giants. Ferndale and Fortuna are close enough for day trips. Recommend visit to Benbow Inn for lunch or dinner - about 15 min south. Eel river is about 100 yards away. Other campers said Eel River water was warm, and the swimming hole was fun.

Date of Stay: June, 2016 - $45.00

It is obvious this park was very old BUT very well kept ( and really well laid out when new!). Pride in hosts and owners shown thru. A bit tricky maneuvering but would fit any rig. Most would say odd layout and if this were new park I would agree, as it is older I say well used land area. Great firewood and campfire available. Use of items like fishing poles, horse shoes, etc were free and easy. Laundry only had two machines, but at least there was one! Easy access to river. Great hidden gem.....GREAT place for the Humboldt Redwood Forest. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Motorhome.

10 I think
Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Tight Turns, Obstacles

Go see the Redwoods and the " Giant" tree. Drive thru, original one is right down the road 6$ by car, 3$ to walk in.(7'7" max size vehicle). Great central location for the Humboldt Redwood Forest.

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $37.00

Sites are spacious, flat, near the river and central to exploring the "Avenue of the Giants" and seeing redwood forests. The road going down to the campground is VERY rough and difficult to find, but it is worth it. There are blooming flowers everywhere - someone is nicely maintaining the property, and the man at the front desk was knowledgeable about things to see in the area and throughout Nirthern California and Oregon. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $45.00

Sites a bit close but adequate. On the Eel river. Very quiet and well off the main road. The area around the park is made up of house trailers and all are fenced off with gates. Not sure the reason for the added security. Must be a town ordinance. The campground was finishing installing gates at the entrance. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Motorhome.

Near the redwood tree that you can drive a car through. Near the Avenue of the Giants. Beautiful place!

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $45.00

As the others said the neighborhood is "sketchy" at best -- but that goes for some of the long termers as well. The park could be an awesome place along the Eel River BUT it needs a lot of work. For a full hook-up park it was about the best I could find in the Redwoods. The sites were narrow with trees and bushes between -- the north ladies' bathroom was clean with a large tile shower and plenty of hot water. The Wi-Fi was slow and the TV channels were just OK. The one thing that really bothered me was the vehicles (long termers and park workers) driving through the empty sites! If I travel through the redwoods again I would try the RV park in Fortuna. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Travel Trailer.

Mostly Shady, Covered Forested

The Weott Visitors Center is just 5 miles up the road and it is one of the prettiest drives in all the Redwoods.

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $45.00

First impression was good when I received a welcome to our camp email 5 days before our arrival, what can we do, etc. I responded immediately and asked about shuttles, buses, etc., since we had bicycles besides the RV for transportation, but never got a response, so was disappointed. Second impression, camp at end of seedy neighborhood lane. Large, dirt with some gravel, lot with tall trees, river nearby. The welcome was somehow abrupt. Good Sam was advertised, but the owner/manager did not ask us whether we had membership. He also made us fill out a registry form, which is fine, but on the back was a legalese, detailed disclaimer essentially absolving the camp for anything and everything that might happen while on their site. Never had to fill out a form like that before. Third, lot assigned very narrow, barely enough for our slide-outs and we couldn't open our awning. Fourth, the bathrooms weren't clean when we arrived. Cigarette butt in BR and dirty corners, shower light not working in men's BR, and shower floor in corners dirty, sink dirty. Same next day, same the day we left. Never cleaned while we were there. Fifth, the owner/manager was going to give us a receipt upon departure, but we left at 8 AM and office was not open then. I called same day and requested he emailed me a receipt, which he did after my call, and asked him also to give me the discount for Good Sam. No can do, he says, it's too late, should have presented card when we arrived. I insisted, but he wouldn't budge. He never asked us if we were members when we checked in, though we had discussed it on the phone a couple of months ago when I inquired about availability and he charged my card at that time as a deposit. So our experience at this camp, with this management and amenities, is very unfavorable, and I wouldn't recommend it to others. Good Sam, take notice! We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Motorhome.

Humboldt Redwoods National Park visitor center about 4 miles away. Shop around for nearby campsites.

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $39.00

The neighborhood around the road into this campground just off the "Avenue of the Giants" looks pretty sketchy, but don't let that stop you. This is actually a nice campground in the redwoods and right on a river. The site sizes vary, and the roads were pretty tight, but there were several big rigs there so I guess they aren't that bad. Didn't use the restroom or shower so can't comment on that, but I really enjoyed walking along the river. Some nice rocks in the gravel for any rockhounds out there. There's also a small dog run and playground, and there's an outdoor shower right by the short trail to the river beach so you can was off the sand etc before you go back to your rig. Be aware they do not accept credit cards (but checks are ok). Verizon service not very good and the wifi didn't work for me. Anything under $40 with full hookups is pretty reasonable (for California) IMHO. I'd stay here again. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Truck Camper.

Date of Stay: June, 2015 - $40.00

Yes, the neighborhood ain't so great, but this is just about the best place to be if you want to be along Avenue of the Giants and have hookups. The folks that own and manage this park are clearly trying to improve it. They were friendly. Generally, the place was quiet and family friendly. We LOVED swimming in the Eel river and my 3 yo daughter loved the playground. Our site was kind of a gravel and dirt combination with some dry grass (water is at a premium in California). Utilities were fine (water & elec). We used the sewer dump when leaving. There was a little more space in our area than in the area with sewer, but also less shade around our site. I was happy with the park and would return. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Travel Trailer.

Gravel, Dirt, Grass

Humboldt Redwoods State Park is the heart of Avenue of the Giants. This RV park is right in the center of the area. I recommend the Kennedy Grove walks. They are off the beaten path, very quiet and near the Eel River.

Date of Stay: April, 2015 - $30.00

Advertised as Big Rig friendly, but not a good choice. The FH gravel 50amp sites were taken with long term rv'ers. It was tight maneuvering to our 30amp/water site that was soft dirt & grass. Our jacks & jacks pads sank in the mud 6", however, management come by with 4x4's lumber for us to use. The one good thing was the location to the Redwood Forest. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Grass

Date of Stay: February, 2015 - $35.00

We went off season, so the experience could be different during the summer. This is a lovely campground but it is surrounded by a very sketchy neighborhood. I would stay in the state parks because of the neighborhood. I didn't think it was safe for our kids to ride their bikes outside of this campground. It's a shame. It's really a nice campground next to the river, but you don't get the redwoods feel like you do in the state park campgrounds. We camped at Giant Redwoods RV & Camp in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Giant Redwoods RV & Camp?