Hidden View Campground

Recent Rate: $10 4/2015

• Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • yes-lake Waterfront Waterfront yes-lake

rhianna

Date of Stay: April, 2015 - $10.00

We paid the senior pass rate. Lake levels were very low but still good for fishing and kayaking. Campground is built on a hill so it was not very easy to find a site that was level enough for a difficult 40' MH. Large pull-thrus and back ins, some with electricity and water available around the loops. Verizon 4G was OK and 3G for phone was OK. Very well taken care of. Easy dump station access. Slow during the week, a little busier on weekends. Site 40 was very level and very long with a good view of the water. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

mockturtle

Date of Stay: March, 2015 - $10.00

This campground is a mixed bag. First of all, it's quite pretty, even in a drought. It is probably beautiful when the lake is full and the grass is green. The sites are very well spaced with views and it was amazingly quiet during the week while I was there. There are some electric sites but I chose a standard one. Now, for the negative. There is no pay box for campers and I had to ask three different rangers where I could pay my fee before someone finally came around on my second day there and took my check. He said he'd bring back a pass/receipt but never did. Also, when I left I swung by the dump station and found the drains both locked! I had counted on using the dump station so that was very inconvenient. Nevertheless, I would return here because the good points outweigh the bad. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

I was able to use my Verizon jetpack without an antenna but needed to antenna for voice.

obxblond

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $15.00

Rate reflects Senior Pass Discount. Electric available at site but water was not available for direct hookup. Some sites could hook into water but spigots were not site specific. Firewood available to purchase which benefits the Boy Scout troop. Lake levels are very low but people still enjoyed water access for boating. Site 37 was long and level but right next to road and deep drop off. One irritation - the grounds crew decided to mow the area around my campsite beginning at 5:45 AM. Not exactly the way I prefer to wake up. Coarsegold and Oakhurst are nearby towns with Oakhurst the larger of the two and easy drives. Yosemite is nearby as well for day trip but there is so much in Yosemite that day trip just isn't enough. I would stay again at campsite but perhaps try for a different site that might have better access to water spigot. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Lizzy P

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $30.00

This campground is run by the Army Corps of Engineers, which makes for an unusual setup. Some campsites have electricity and water, some have one or the other. We stayed in Loop C Space 31 which had both 50 amp and water. At first we didn't really care for the site because there was a steep slope off to one side. After looking at all the other sites we decided it wasn't so bad. None of the pull-through sites we saw had any hookups. Make sure when you choose a site (either online or in person) that you look carefully at whether or not there are hookups. Many sites had electricity but not water, which is very unusual. The Corps has done an excellent job providing other amenities such as covered picnic tables, fire pits, BBQs, and lantern poles. The main job of the volunteer camp host is to rake each campsite - they are pristine when you pull in! The sites are asphalt but very narrow. Some are a bit of work to back into. All are built into a hilly area so lots of slopes and need to level from side-to-side. Lake was at an all-time low so many sites that would normally be right on the water, aren't. Would definitely come back when the lake is full. Great place to go with a mix of RVers and tent campers as tent campers can choose any site. There's a fairly new playground for kids, nothing for dogs, except a lot of foxtails. Best entry is from the south, through Madera. The road in from Chowchilla is long, hilly, and a bit confusing with lots of turns. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

judy_online

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $15.00

I like open campgrounds with a view, so the lack of shade did not bother me. Actually, I had a tree behind me that gave me afternoon shade, but did not block my view. Lake is very low, but I came here to relax, so that was OK. View was still very good. OK cell voice and data service, although signal was a little weak. Site could have been more level, but a couple of boards solved my problem. I was in Site 22, which is normally part of a double site, but few campers are here this time of year, so I had a lot of privacy. Had no problems getting my 32' motorhome backed into site. Because this area is so hilly, some picnic tables were behind, below, or above the campsite, but they did have steps to the ones I investigated. Price is with senior pass. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

RV Wheel Life

Date of Stay: October, 2011 - $15.00

Hensley Lake Recreation Area, east of Chowchilla (U.S. Hwy 99, Exit 170). Great facilities, open all year. Plenty of available sites (some pull-through) when we were there in early part of week in October. Many sites have incredible view of lake. Playground in day use area. Good walking along park roads. Near foothills of Sierra Mountains. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

artiemeek

Date of Stay: June, 2011 - $15.00

We camped in Site 13. Though it had an asphalt pad, it required some leveling on one side. Not very busy even though it is the summer season. My primary purpose was to do geocaching and there were enough caches scattered about to make the trip worthwhile. For a public campground, this is very well done. Had it offered Wi-Fi, I would have kicked the rating up a notch. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

RetiredRVTravelers

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $15.00

Very little shade, unlevel sites, only a few will readily accommodate large units. Ours is a 36' motorhome and it took several tries to get level on site 45. Electricity has been upgraded to 50 AMP in all of the electric sites but one. Most of the sites are multi-level with tables and fire rings below or some times as much as 40' above you if you were in a camper rather than a tent. Very hilly terrain with winding roads, although the campground is well designed considering the difficult terrain. We had a nice view of Hensley Lake. Rangers and hosts very helpful. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

fancyscript

Date of Stay: June, 2009 - $18.00

We chose to camp here when the weather decided to be in the triple digits - having only 30 amps it was very difficult to keep the motorhome cool without having to use the generator during the day. The sites weren't that level & our 40' motorhome barely fit. We had a view of the lake & were able to swim to get cool. We had reservations to stay an entire week, but because of the heat chose to leave early. It was a great place to stay & we didn't mind the drive to Yosemite Nat'l. Park. We would stay here again, but not in the summer. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Paul M. Kitchen

Date of Stay: April, 2008 - $20.00

This is a US Army Corps of Engineers camp ground. The park is outstanding with great access to the lake for water sports. There are miles of hiking trails to enjoy and the spring wild flowers are out standning. The RV sites are too narrow and force campers to hide behind their rigs. The roads are hilly, twisty and demand close attention while navigating through the park. We enjoyed our stay because of the hiking. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

mahaffee

Date of Stay: April, 2007 - $10.00

We had back-in water/electric site #15 and really liked it even though it did not have a view of the lake; we have a 30 ft class A. The sites on the lake side were more crowded, we opted for some privacy and a beautiful meadow view over the water view. The site was a long, paved and a bit sloped but not too bad. The paved part was pretty narrow with concrete barriers lining it so you didn't have much room on the awning side before the slope of the hill. Camp hosts were friendly and helpful. The town of Madera wasn't too far away and we found everything we needed there. Dump station was organized and easy to access. Nightly rate reflects the Interagency Senior Pass discount. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Michelle Bishop

Date of Stay: March, 2007 - $18.00

Located at Hensley Lake in the Central Valley. Lake is nicely sized for boating, fishing, and swimming. Facilities were nicely maintained. Handicap accessible restrooms and showers were available. Equestrian, hiking and biking trails were enjoyable. Lack of shade trees, and fluctuations in water level were noted. Park would be hot during the summer. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Hidden View Campground?