Raymond, California

• Hiking Hiking yes
  • Amphitheatre Amphitheatre yes
  • Lake Lake yes

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $15.00

Nice campground with great views of Hensley Lake. Unfortunately in 2017 the lake is very low. Located in the desert so don't be surprised to see lots of dry dead grass as you enter the campground. Great central location to drive to both Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks. Long but scenic drives. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $15.00

The restrooms are adequate and the showers are decent, however they need a good scrubing. Smiley around the bottom and corners. Could use an exhaust fan also. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

A-8

Really nice area to camp. Some sites on the lake, boat ramp with ample parking. Gets crazy on weekends, lots of campers using the facility. General Store in Raymond has a bar and grill as well as some food items. Madera is approx 15 miles and has stores and restaurants. Rangers were as some.

Date of Stay: May, 2017 - $30.00

We stayed here for a few nights before heading to Yosemite. We had a site by the water which was beautiful. We only had electric at our site, but there was a water spigot close by that we were able to use to refill our fresh water tank by connecting two hoses to reach the spigot. Verizon 4G worked well at our site, but it was only 3G in some sections of the park. It seemed like the sites by the water had the best signal. The staff was very friendly. When we checked in we could not fit in the site I had selected online so they let us pick any other available site. Since we were there on weekdays there were plenty of open sites to choose from. Very beautiful and peaceful location to relax for a few days. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $30.00

This was our favorite campsite so far. Hiking trails, beautiful campsites, kind camp hosts, a lake, fishing, swimming, super dog friendly, a disc golf park, beautiful area....so good we can't wait to return. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Only an hour to Yosemite or to Sequoia National forest. We highly recommend going to see Neldar Grove for Sequoias.

Date of Stay: January, 2016 - $15.00

This is still one of my favorite places in California if you want a super-quiet place, in a very pretty area, and slightly out of the way. Yes, it is probably not the best choice for a really big rig, but my 32' Class C fits in most spaces very well and sites are nicely spread out. Verizon service is best from one of the higher sites. During the week off-season, it is mostly empty, but there is always a camp host. And the dump station is often locked off-season during the week because local people tend to sneak in and use it without authorization. All I had to do was stop at the camp host, and he drove down and unlocked it for me. Lake level was up 8' from early December, which is nice but still not good enough for anything but kayaking, but the rolling hills coming in were green instead of brown for a change, with views of snow in the distant mountains. Very pretty place. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Not much to do but relax!

Date of Stay: April, 2015 - $10.00

We paid the senior pass rate. Lake levels were very low but still good for fishing and kayaking. Campground is built on a hill so it was not very easy to find a site that was level enough for a difficult 40' MH. Large pull-thrus and back ins, some with electricity and water available around the loops. Verizon 4G was OK and 3G for phone was OK. Very well taken care of. Easy dump station access. Slow during the week, a little busier on weekends. Site 40 was very level and very long with a good view of the water. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

C Loop-40

Date of Stay: March, 2015 - $10.00

This campground is a mixed bag. First of all, it's quite pretty, even in a drought. It is probably beautiful when the lake is full and the grass is green. The sites are very well spaced with views and it was amazingly quiet during the week while I was there. There are some electric sites but I chose a standard one. Now, for the negative. There is no pay box for campers and I had to ask three different rangers where I could pay my fee before someone finally came around on my second day there and took my check. He said he'd bring back a pass/receipt but never did. Also, when I left I swung by the dump station and found the drains both locked! I had counted on using the dump station so that was very inconvenient. Nevertheless, I would return here because the good points outweigh the bad. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

I was able to use my Verizon jetpack without an antenna but needed to antenna for voice.

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $15.00

Rate reflects Senior Pass Discount. Electric available at site but water was not available for direct hookup. Some sites could hook into water but spigots were not site specific. Firewood available to purchase which benefits the Boy Scout troop. Lake levels are very low but people still enjoyed water access for boating. Site 37 was long and level but right next to road and deep drop off. One irritation - the grounds crew decided to mow the area around my campsite beginning at 5:45 AM. Not exactly the way I prefer to wake up. Coarsegold and Oakhurst are nearby towns with Oakhurst the larger of the two and easy drives. Yosemite is nearby as well for day trip but there is so much in Yosemite that day trip just isn't enough. I would stay again at campsite but perhaps try for a different site that might have better access to water spigot. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2014 - $30.00

This campground is run by the Army Corps of Engineers, which makes for an unusual setup. Some campsites have electricity and water, some have one or the other. We stayed in Loop C Space 31 which had both 50 amp and water. At first we didn't really care for the site because there was a steep slope off to one side. After looking at all the other sites we decided it wasn't so bad. None of the pull-through sites we saw had any hookups. Make sure when you choose a site (either online or in person) that you look carefully at whether or not there are hookups. Many sites had electricity but not water, which is very unusual. The Corps has done an excellent job providing other amenities such as covered picnic tables, fire pits, BBQs, and lantern poles. The main job of the volunteer camp host is to rake each campsite - they are pristine when you pull in! The sites are asphalt but very narrow. Some are a bit of work to back into. All are built into a hilly area so lots of slopes and need to level from side-to-side. Lake was at an all-time low so many sites that would normally be right on the water, aren't. Would definitely come back when the lake is full. Great place to go with a mix of RVers and tent campers as tent campers can choose any site. There's a fairly new playground for kids, nothing for dogs, except a lot of foxtails. Best entry is from the south, through Madera. The road in from Chowchilla is long, hilly, and a bit confusing with lots of turns. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2013 - $15.00

I like open campgrounds with a view, so the lack of shade did not bother me. Actually, I had a tree behind me that gave me afternoon shade, but did not block my view. Lake is very low, but I came here to relax, so that was OK. View was still very good. OK cell voice and data service, although signal was a little weak. Site could have been more level, but a couple of boards solved my problem. I was in Site 22, which is normally part of a double site, but few campers are here this time of year, so I had a lot of privacy. Had no problems getting my 32' motorhome backed into site. Because this area is so hilly, some picnic tables were behind, below, or above the campsite, but they did have steps to the ones I investigated. Price is with senior pass. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2011 - $15.00

Hensley Lake Recreation Area, east of Chowchilla (U.S. Hwy 99, Exit 170). Great facilities, open all year. Plenty of available sites (some pull-through) when we were there in early part of week in October. Many sites have incredible view of lake. Playground in day use area. Good walking along park roads. Near foothills of Sierra Mountains. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2011 - $15.00

We camped in Site 13. Though it had an asphalt pad, it required some leveling on one side. Not very busy even though it is the summer season. My primary purpose was to do geocaching and there were enough caches scattered about to make the trip worthwhile. For a public campground, this is very well done. Had it offered Wi-Fi, I would have kicked the rating up a notch. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $15.00

Very little shade, unlevel sites, only a few will readily accommodate large units. Ours is a 36' motorhome and it took several tries to get level on site 45. Electricity has been upgraded to 50 AMP in all of the electric sites but one. Most of the sites are multi-level with tables and fire rings below or some times as much as 40' above you if you were in a camper rather than a tent. Very hilly terrain with winding roads, although the campground is well designed considering the difficult terrain. We had a nice view of Hensley Lake. Rangers and hosts very helpful. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2009 - $18.00

We chose to camp here when the weather decided to be in the triple digits - having only 30 amps it was very difficult to keep the motorhome cool without having to use the generator during the day. The sites weren't that level & our 40' motorhome barely fit. We had a view of the lake & were able to swim to get cool. We had reservations to stay an entire week, but because of the heat chose to leave early. It was a great place to stay & we didn't mind the drive to Yosemite Nat'l. Park. We would stay here again, but not in the summer. We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2008 - $12.00

ok We camped at Hidden View Campground in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Hidden View Campground ?