8.5 Excellent

Tecopa Hot Springs, California

155 Hot Springs Rd
Tecopa Hot Springs, California 92389

Elevation: 1384' (approximate)
  • Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?
  • Phone Phone yes
  • Central Modem Central Modem yes
  • Family Friendly Family Friendly no

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $29.00

This seems to be the best place to camp with an RV in Tecopa Hot Springs. We'd agree with much of what others have written: very nice and helpful owners, friendly people, excellent hot spring pools that are emptied and cleaned every night, very quiet, etc. I would add that their wi-fi is excellent and never dropped our connection; not lightening fast but very usable. One very important point is that they do not open their pools to day use as many of the other RV parks do, so there is never a wait for a pool and no outsiders driving through and using the facilities. It is over an hour to Furnace Creek, so not a great base camp for Death Valley (try the dispersed BLM camping at the top of the pass going into DV if you don't want to camp in the valley). I only knock off one point for the general unattractiveness of the park and the immediate surroundings, though the distant views and sunsets are gorgeous. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

The nearby natural hot springs are popular with locals and visitors. Unfortunately the area has been "discovered" and the springs are getting over-used. The water is murky and there are warning signs about "mud mites" that the locals say are very real and burrow under your skin. We stuck to the Peterson's hot pools.

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $30.00

First...not a great idea to ask people when they're checking in who they voted for.... I have an on line business and didn't know how long I would stay so I paid for a week (weekly rate) and was told I could just cover the remainder to make it the mo. rate if I wanted to stay. Day 2 I said I wanted to stay a month and got a PO box.

After 3 days I reluctantly reported an aggressive (lunging, barking) boxer dog next to me that woke me up at 6:48 every morning. Day one they were friendly. Apologetic. She paced around saying she knew better and shouldn't have put them there." The dog owners basically told them "too bad" when she "offered" them another space. Day two the solution was to kick out another single (sick) woman and give me her spot. By day three she knew I was waiting for some overseas shipments, that she had me over a barrel. The dog owners still wouldn't budge so she went on the offensive (turned on a dime from friendly to completely hostile) and told me I was the problem, too sensitive, and I could stay if I paid another weekly rate ($340 paid now) and if I "didn't -- " (caught herself)... "-- could be "happy".

Some friends in the park (much farther from the dog than me) complained and wanted the dog to be removed from the park as it was waking up them also but I was told no one else has a problem. I got my shipments and left early and the male manager just sat there out in his chair and watched me drive away. I went there to relax and left feeling exhausted, emotionally manipulated and sleep-deprived. It cost me a month of rent to stay 11 days. The 2nd check was cashed *after* I left early.

The grounds are stark, the pools and showers seemed clean but were too warm to be in for more than a few minutes and were closed up at dark. The posts (30A at my space) had very old wiring and used a fuse. The current fluctuated constantly and my A/C sounded strange. One day when I was troubleshooting no power they admitted they didn't have any replacement fuses on site. I was understanding and patient and kind throughout and literally felt like I had to emotionally support the female manager throughout all of this which made the way they handled it that much more surreal and hurtful. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

I would just stop through this area for a few days. Twice in 11 days I had guys start a conversation and tell me they were on parole/probation. This is a place where people drop out. I definitely don't recommend it for single women.

Date of Stay: November, 2016 - $29.00

This was the cleanest, friendliest park we have every stayed in. Planned on 4 days over Thanksgiving, changed our plans to stay for 2 months. Being full time RVers, this will become our winter home. The 2 private soaking tubs are so incredibly clean, not to mention relaxing. A very comfortable place to stay. Older park, so you have to watch your power. Understanding that, not a problem. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Nearby, Very Close

China Ranch Date Farm.....Beautiful, stunning drive and incredible date shakes. A must do.

Date of Stay: March, 2016 - $29.00

This place is old and looks it, but it's not a bad place to stay in an area where there are few options with hookups. The connections worked fine, and there is wi-fi, although it only worked on and off. No Verizon service at all and I don't think any cell networks work either. Manager was very nice and friendly. Cash or check only. The best part is the bath house. There are two private rooms with a shower and a soaking tub with water directly from the nearby hot spring. Very soothing and relaxing. Shower, tub and room were very clean. The shower is standard size, but the soaking pool easily accommodates two people. Restrooms were very clean too. Very quiet place. There is no town per se, though, so don't expect to gas up or do any shopping. There is a convenience store, didn't check it out though. The café across the street has great food. Worth stopping on the way to/from Death Valley for a quiet night and nice soak. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Truck Camper.

Date of Stay: January, 2016 - $28.00

We were planning on staying in Tecopa for one night...and it stretched into four as we waited for some general deliver mail....We moved here from another park as this one was $7 cheaper per night and is the only one in town with wifi. Which worked great, by the way. (There is no cell service in the entire valley) The park is simply a gravel lot with full hook-ups, but they have two private hot baths that were a terrific way to end the day!

The people here were some of the friendliest we have met in an RV park. We got a tour of the area from a couple that has been wintering here for 15 years! They gather for coffee each morning and cocktail hour and cards each evening.

There are quite a few little nooks and crannies to discover in this area, if you spend some time here.

NOTE: There is no drinking water in the valley. Nor is there any water to fill your tanks. The only water in the valley is the same water that fills the hot pools and it is chock full of minerals. We were able to run water through our system, avoiding the water heater, with the full hook-ups. Come prepared! The nearest water is in Pahrump, 35 miles away. The good news, is we never needed to use our shower as we soaked in the hot pools each day and showered there... We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Concrete, Gravel

Date of Stay: December, 2015 - $12.00

The $12 is based on monthly rates. We have been staying here for 15 years and it just gets better each year. We have a home about 40 miles from here yet we prefer to spend Christmas and New Years here with great friends and the healing hot springs. Trips to old gold mines, Death Valley and then a soak in the springs....it just does not get any better!

Morning coffee is accompanied with bakery goods donated by some of the campers. Happy hour is usually followed by card games and occasionally a communal camp fire. Wifi is good and the restrooms, free private hot spring baths, clubhouse and grounds are spotless. Your cell phone will most likely not work and that can be another reason to visit here. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Motorhome.

Scotties Castle, Saratoga Springs, Death Valley, Lake Side Golf, Furnace Creek Golf, Jeep and ATV trails, 65 miles to the Strip in Las Vegas, supplies in Pahrump (37 miles), Auctions, Casinos, Senior Center and another 30 or so things to do and clubs to join.

Date of Stay: March, 2013 - $30.00

The rate reflects 50 amp service; 30 amp service is $25. This was a difficult campground to rate because there were some goods but some not-so-good points. There are four campgrounds in Tecopa, three reviewed on this site and the county park, not reviewed (yet). The managers/owners for Peterson's are very nice and helpful. The spaces are close together but when we were there, the park was only about half full, so we could get a site with empty spaces on either side. The site is hard-packed desert sand and there is no shade since this is the desert. The main draw to Tacopa are the hot springs. Peterson's has two very nice and very clean private soaking rooms. There is a 20 minute limit per visit, but you can return a often as you like. We never had to wait for a room. In the same soaking room there is also a shower. The water is cooled to a constant 104 degrees and is wonderful for soaking. If you come, try to come with full fresh water as the only water available is the hot springs water and it is very high in minerals. You can also drink bottled water and use the spring water for non-potable purposed. We did not use their WiFi but used our satellite internet. No problem with satellite since no trees. Our Verizon phone and data did not work in Tecopa. So, with all of the positives, why not a higher rating. That is because of the electric power. When we got there mid day, we hooked up to a 30 amp site. We can use either 30 amp or 50 amp but only have one AC so usually go for 30 and it is not a problem. When we connected, it was a solid 120 volts, no problem. However, later in the day other coaches arrived and everyone had their AC going. Our safety system cut off our power since the voltage had gone below a safe level. We turned off everything in the coach and the voltage was still below 109 volts. We could not use AC or microwave, etc. The next day, I talked with the manager/owner. He said that the problem was that I really should have connected to 50 amp. I tried to explain that we really did not need 50 and that without any load it still had low voltage. No luck. Finally we moved to a 50 amp site in another section of the park and that worked for us. So, we would stay there again but would make for sure we had 50 amps. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: December, 2011 - $25.00

Our Henderson, NV RV Club held a 3 day rally here. While the destination is remote this RV Park is a Jewel in the desert. The campground is compacted desert sand and gravel but the community amenities are meticulously keep clean. The hot spring rooms and the clubhouse likewise is are a modern and clean respite from the harsh realities of the Mohave Desert. The owners are not just caretakers, but actively promote a community environment while you are there. Each night there is a happy hour, campfire, and other functions in the clubhouse such as Bingo or cards. There is morning coffee and a small continental breakfast. The clubhouse also has Satellite TV. Wi-Fi is very good and inexpensively priced at $1 per day. This is the best place to stay in Tecopa We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: December, 2011 - $25.00

This is a wonderful place to stay. They treat all guests like they really value your business. The place is immaculate. The mineral tubs are so clean they look empty. Highly recommend everyone only stay here in Tecopa. Excellent service and value. We will be back. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: December, 2010 - $25.00

The campsites here are very level and there is a lot of space between units. The Hot Spring Tubs are always at an acceptable temperature and the grounds are very well kept. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2010 - $20.00

When you stop here, you are "family". Meticulously maintained. Hot tubs are private and spotless. Winter home for a bunch of friendly "Snowbirds", with sites for transients usually available. Social activities every day, and if you are lucky you may hit one of their big parties. Great location for desert exploring: lots of local knowledge in the park. We go out of our way to spend a few days or weeks here. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: February, 2009 - $20.00

Small but well maintained and run. We were lucky to get an overnight spot in busy season. The hot springs are a treat. We also enjoyed visits to the museum in nearby Shoshone as well as the date bread at China Ranch. Will certainly return. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: January, 2009 - $20.00

My favorite RV park anywhere. Immaculate throughout. Hot springs, people, and most of all management keep bringing us back yearly. Managers make this park a 10! If you have a Prevost attitude please don't come. This is a middle class retired group from the cold north (US & Canada). The spaces are a little close but your neighbor will soon become your friend. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2007 - $20.00

This is a small desert park for snowbirds. The park is on desert gravel, and the spaces between RV's is a little small. However, the reason people visit this park is the hot mineral baths, which are highly therapeutic. We visited in the off season, and it was hot, so there was only two other campers in the park. From October to April, the park is full. Long term campers (6 months or more) line the perimeter. The managers are a husband and wife who are very friendly and helpful. There is a rec room which is centrally located and is the focus of park activities. There are two small bath-rooms for the mineral baths. The doors can be locked and couples or families have private soaking in 104 degree water. The park showers are in these rooms. Visitors can use the baths as often as they wish, but during busy winter months there is a 20 minute time limit, which apparently is more than enough time. You can reuse the baths later when ever they are free. There are two private toilet bathrooms, one for men and one for women. The nearest town is Pahrump, which is 27 miles away but easily traveled to. We visited often for supplies at the Super Wal-Mart and diesel fuel. Death Valley NP is also close by. At night we enjoyed watching the bats and nightjars catching insects and seeing the many stars in the clear desert sky. We camped at Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Are you affiliated with Peterson's Tecopa Palms RV Park ?