Temecula, California

• Recreation Room Recreation Room no
  • Putt Putt Mini-Golf Putt Putt Mini-Golf yes
  • Ping Pong Ping Pong yes

Date of Stay: December, 2016 - $23.00

I was staying at the upper levels, I had beautiful views to the sourrounding mountains. The lake is far down, you can hardly see it.

THE GOOD:

They have accepted my Passport America discount for one night and my Good Sam discount for the other night I've spent here.

The sites are pretty large, gravel but not very level. You better bring your leveling blocks.

There is a lot to do here. Even though the pools are not heated, the pool area is closed for the winter; in the summer this place is fantastic for families. It is a huge park, lots of open space, kids are freely roaming around everywhere. There is mini-golf, ping pong, pickle ball, volleyball, basketball courts. For the summer there is a water slide separate from the pool area.

I found a 1.5-mile long nature trail, which was very nice, but there are other hiking and biking opportunities in the area. You can walk down to the lake for example. The lake is farther down, I didn't end up going because it was raining the second day.

There is a convenience store by the main building, where you can buy some basic camping items and snacks.

I saw a cafe attached to a nice outdoors area with a stage but it wasn't open. They are making it ready for the upcoming New Years Eve party. Who knew that New Year Eve is a huge camping holiday?

THE BAD:

I would not ever call this a resort. It is a campground. The road to the office was full of huge potholes, I've heard that they are patching it each year, but it needs a major upgrade. It is hard to maneuver your RV around the potholes.

Even though I like taking my showers in RV resort showers, this one was so run down that I've decided to take it in my small RV. I didn't like the looks.

INTERNET:

I had awesome Sprint coverage, I was able to tether and watch my Netflix too. I did not use the park WiFi. Didn't need to.

My Verizon Hotspot seem to work well too. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2015 - $65.00

The "resort" has potential. It has many large trees that offer shade to some sites but not much else. The place is run down, the roads are littered with pot holes and a lot of deferred maintenance. The arcade is closed due to safety issues. It looks like they just closed it down and are using it for storage. And forget about the lake. It's miles away and barely visible. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Motorhome.

Fire Ring

Stay around sites 48-50. There is grass nearby and canyon views with 30 amp service.

Date of Stay: January, 2015 - $25.00

Great family park. Stayed over New Years and had a blast.

No cell phone service or WIFI but got Sat TV.

Very cold but made the campfire more enjoyable. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Motorhome.

No Others In Sight, Spacious

Close to wine country.

Date of Stay: January, 2014 - $60.00

Where to start? Very unhappy with this place. It's dirt/gravel with uneven sites. I had to change sites 4 times to get level and away from trees. Virtually no cell phone service and they charged me $5 for internet that you can not get at your site: supposedly can get it at the office. Who wants to only use internet at their office? The bath house was horrid. It looked like it was from the 1960's without any work done on it. Also, there are lots of old trees with sites essentially fit in between and around them. Extremely overpriced!!! I will NEVER stay here again! We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: January, 2014 - $50.00

This is Not a resort. It is a high priced, run down campground. The roads have pot holes, the trees along the road hit the top of our RV, the trash dumpsters were overflowing, the camp sites are dirt or gravel, most sites are unlevel, and no Wi-Fi in the camp ground. Verizon cell coverage is very poor, no picnic tables, and empty beer bottles on the miniature golf course. After two days of overflowing trash dumpsters, there is a mass of trash lying on the ground around the empty dumpsters and no staff to clean it up. The campground is two miles from the lake and there are fees to use the lake. On the positive side, they have an attractive swimming pool area, a separate water slide for kids, and nice live oak trees on the property. It would not be so bad if it wasn’t so overpriced. Based on our experience, it should have been half what we paid. I heard the campground is in bankruptcy and also heard they are tied up in financial lawsuits. We will never stay here again. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: April, 2013 - $70.00

Huge park with 500 sites, they are relatively large and spacious. There are no picnic tables, bring your own. Wi-Fi only at office. There is mini-golf ($3), waterslides ($10/hr), really nice pools (3 of them), small kids fishing hole, and horseshoes. Vail Lake is available to resort guests for $10 person about 2 miles away from resort. A bike is needed to get around here. The restroom was clean. Dumpsters were overflowing after weekend. We stayed in the oaks area which is more central. Lots of golf carts here. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: March, 2012 - $85.00

Huge, beautiful park with enormous shade trees. Big sites for easy access. They are not paved, but for the most part level. This park is not adjacent to the lake. The lake is a few miles down the road. But, since you are camping at the campground you can fish for a reduced fee and don't need a license. Kind of pricey as it has a ton of amenities during the season. Also has an extremely popular Haunted House in October. Book early for that. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $70.00

Expensive for what you get and they tried to charge me $5 extra for registering on the phone after hours. Not mentioned on the website. BTW Live band and dancing but a bit of a hike from our site. The "lake" is a mile away, you must drive it, I don't think there is a path. We won't return, just too expensive! We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $90.00

We camped here with our entire family. We had three spaces, plus paid for 2 extra tent users. The place is very large and you can't really walk to things. We used our car. We stayed in the lower Merlo which I would not recommended. There was no shade trees, the ground was gravel with a lot of rocks. Everyone here uses gas powered golf carts which is really loud and they seem to use them at all hours of the day and night. We were here for Memorial Day and even though there was a lot going on, I wouldn't do it again. It was way too pricy for what we got. We paid $400 for each site for the 4 days we were here. I always hear people talk about it, but it just wasn't for us. I would not go again. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: March, 2011 - $80.00

Very disappointing. Under new management it would seem. Not enough staff ,and everyone seems to complain about everything. We heard they were always changing staff which is why it is so badly run. Would not recommend it and would never go back. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: March, 2011 - $65.00

This is a very pretty and a bit rustic park; and in Spring when the hills are green, is a great time to visit. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, it's a bit rundown and the amenities are not up to the price. At $65, I would expect WiFi and cable TV. I'm fine without them, but then don't charge so much. There weren't even picnic benches at the campsites. A few had broken patio chairs. The dumpsters were full to overflowing, this on Friday night going into a weekend and off-season at that. The owners need to invest a little and/or drop their prices. For such a beautiful place on a weekend with 70 degree temps, the place should have been busy instead of 3/4 empty. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: March, 2011 - $70.00

This resort has a lot of nice amenities at the campground. Miniature golf, horseback riding, quad area with entertainment, bar, waterslides in summer, pool, etc. I really like this campground but the only drawback is it is getting too expensive to stay here. They provide extras on holiday week-ends but $100-120 a night is just getting too much for this middle class, Dad on a budget. I try to go in the Spring/Fall when rates are down and I have a great time. I would give this campground an 8 or 9 but the affordability factor brings it down a bit. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Travel Trailer.

TMI

Date of Stay: July, 2010 - $92.00

We really liked the rustic setting of the campground, as it really felt like we were in the woods. When we were here, you could have campfires in CDF approved fire rings, which was provided at each site. I have a 95 lb dog and he had a blast walking on all of the trails around the park. The pool was nice, yet unheated, so it was a bit cold, in my opinion. The restrooms were a bit dirty, but this is likely due to the fact that this was a holiday weekend, and the more folks drink, the worse off their aim is. What really bothered me was the way that the nightly rates were jacked up significantly for this weekend. When the rates are normally $42 per night on regular weekends and you raise it to $92, that is pretty close to extortion!! The other problem is that quiet hours were not enforced. One night there was a party going on until 0300 (no sign of security) or so, and another night, security finally got things somewhat tame by 1215. I would have called security myself, but my mobile phone (Verizon) did not have reception, this in and of itself is a safety issue. The other knock is the number of golf carts, mopeds, and Polaris that were buzzing around faster than the posted 10 mph speed limit. I would consider staying here again, but not for 92 bucks a night, and DEFINITELY not on a holiday weekend!! We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2010 - $45.00

We stayed here for a bike race. The bike trails are great. Kids enjoyed the "frog pond" and swimming pool as well as the water slides. The sites were spacious, loved all of the shade trees. The restrooms were a little dirty, although had nice hot water in the showers. They had signs on them saying keep doors closed due to various things that could get in (birds, snakes, etc). The womens restroom door near our site would not stay closed. The entire time we were here (3 days) it was open. If you tried to shut it, it would just pop open again. We would stay here again. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: November, 2009 - $82.00

We have been staying at Vail Lake for 9 years now. We camp here over Thanksgiving and when we first started going, loved it. Now, not so much. The campground itself is beautiful. In the fall, the trees are beautiful. We stay in the Arroyo Seca area and this year there were only 7 other RVs in that area. Where else can you drive for just an hour and a half and be out in the middle of nowhere? With that said however, the management is letting the place go: security is nonexistent and the park is extremely overpriced for what you get. No tables: and when we asked for tables, were told no. The park is now allowing golf carts again which is extremely annoying to those of us who camp for peace and quiet. For beauty, sites that are large, plus feeling like you in the wilderness: the place is a 10. For management, price, security (the lack thereof): the park is a 1. It's too bad as it really is a beautiful spot. We camped at Vail Lake Resort in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Vail Lake Resort?