Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park)

Van Nuys, California

Recent Rate: $63 7/2014

WinnebagoTraveler

We spent three nights here primarily to tour Hollywood and go to the Hollywood Bowl. It was a great location. The Hollywood Bowl parking can be a nightmare and we rode the Metro (at Balboa) to and from the Bowl. For $5/person for an all day pass, it was quite the bargain. As other people have noted, the owner is the nicest and hardest working person I have met in a long time. He really takes pride in the park. We have a 24' motorhome and had no problem getting into our spot although our power management system did not like that the electricity was not grounded and we had to plug into an adjoining electrical circuit for power. The Wi-Fi was as zippy as our broadband at home. We will definitely stay here again. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

User3394

Required to pay for two nights over weekends. WiFi never did work and we were told that it is spotty throughout the park. Restrooms were great! We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

CindyRV

Don't come here if your rig is over 24' long. All streets are narrow and sites are short. They have cars parked everywhere. Not a 1-2 night stop over because it took several attempts to get into our spot with our 30' RV. Old park with lots of permanent trailers. Electrical is just an outlet 3" from ground with no breaker. Water faucet is inches away. Cords & cables laying on the ground. After 1 day we had ants. We will not stay here again. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

dka

So sorry to give this such a low rating as the host couldn't be nicer, but we camped here in a 35' motorhome and it just wasn't comfortable. He graciously helped us back into our space and helped us with our hookups but we were sardine tight. Seriously, I could hear the guy next door cough and answer his phone, not to mention his barking dog. Feral cats slept on the toad and left their paw prints on the windshield. Children ride their bikes all over and play in the streets...nice for them but not for us. The helicopters are relentless in their landing. We were hoping to invite our family over to see our new rv but it was not conducive to having visitors. Loved being close to everything but not at the expense of such close quarters. Sorry, but we will park further away next time and have some breathing space. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

Fitzjohnfan

With many mediocre RV parks, you see the phrase "OK for an overnight stop, but not good for long term". I would say the opposite about Balboa RV park. We were greeted every day by very friendly and helpful management, and the bathrooms and laundry were clean and functional. The problem is that this park was designed in the 1940s and really cannot accomodate the larger rigs of today. The sites are situated in rows where you need to back into each site making a couple of 90 degree turns in the process. Add to this cars parked along the roads from the numerous permanent residents, and you really require the assistance of the helpful management to get parked. Add to this the cable TV hanging from trees, very high water pressure. The Wi-Fi was spotty, it worked OK on one side of the park, but not on the other. If the price was less, it would get a slightly higher rating. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

hug448844

In the 8 yrs we have RV'd we have never left a cg without staying at least 1 night until today. The place was bad. We had reservations for a week and drive a 40ft motorhome. They were putting us in a site all the way back between a mobile and a perm 5th wheel. We could not have even parked in it because the 5th wheel owner had his car in there and was out of the park. This is a very run down park with lots of permanents and very small row sites. Lot of vehicles parked on the street due to the narrow sized sites. Unless you are crazy do not even think of staying here especially if you are over 32-35 feet inn length. We would never stay here or recommend it to friends. Perfect for a pop up trailer We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

Alessandro

Host/owner very helpful with giving directions to squeeze our 39' MH into a pretty narrow spot. Very expensive camping. We looked for a place to clean our MH and were surprised that we were allowed to do this at the site itself. It saved us a lot of time with looking for a RV wash. Excellent Wi-Fi. Lot of noise by planes and helicopters from Van Nuys Airport nearby. No cable, and that should be normal for the price. We would stay here again when visiting L.A. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

havervwilltravl

Most of the previous reviews capture the pros and cons of this park. Pros: the restrooms are clean, the laundry is cheap, the park is older but undergoing renovation, and you will be close to major L.A. attractions. Cons: you will be camping in the middle of a major metropolis, which means car and airport noise as well as a tight fit for your rig! However you will find these same drawbacks in any urban location so for what it is this is a very nice park. Now for the fine print... I should mention that I am one of the park's many permanent residents. I moved here to go to grad school at nearby CSUN university and originally meant to buy time by staying in the park while I shopped for a suitable roommate/apartment situation. Turns out a lot of the roommate choices in L.A. are a little weird, who knew? However, I liked living here so much that I made permanent arrangements for my trailer to stay and I have never regretted it. Other residents are friendly and I feel very safe here. I know my neighbors. Dogs are more than welcome. The management absolutely cannot be outdone - you will not find nicer hosts anywhere! We have a relaxing, community atmosphere here and lovely big trees that beat any apartment complex I looked at. I can honestly say that I love living here and the benefits far outweigh any drawbacks. I hope you are able to visit soon. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Fifth Wheel.

Archivista

There must be a Murphy's Law about being consigned to a campground from hell for days on end, yet having to leave Paradise after only one night. Birmingham RV is the former and we're stuck here for three nights. Old and rundown, tiny, narrow, muddy lots that boast patios made of cracked and broken concrete slabs, nonexistent pull throughs, nowhere to turn around, noisy neighbors, marginal neighborhood, and expensive to boot. Did I mention that our fresh water hookup is under another person's trailer, so anything dripping off his rig in all the rain we're having is going right on to the source of our water supply? This place would be out of business if it weren't in an area of such high demand. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

balfre1946

Birmingham RV is the closest to LA and like most city parks is old, lots of permanent residents and short on amenities like a pool or hot tub. That said, it has the nicest staff of the 80+ parks we have visited on our year trip. They escort you to your spot, help you in, do all the hooking up for you (yes even the sewer) and when our water line leaked, replaced our hose with one of theirs gratis. Clean baths, showers, laundry and as the owner said "We treat you like a hotel guest." There was always staff on the grounds to help. The camp dates from the 1930s, as I suspect do most of the residents, but all in all a pleasant stay in the best location to see LA. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

the2wanderers

This is an old park which is being updated. There are still a few original permanent park models from the 1940's. The sites are narrow and the tow vehicles are parked on the road in front of your site. The park is a great location as far as proximity to Hollywood and the north Los Angeles area. When the freeways were clogged, there were many alternate routes from the park to the various tourist attractions. While there was some noise from the Van Nuys airport (small executive jets) and the occasional commuter train, there was irritating noise from the helicopters taking off and landing near the park. It was usually quiet at night, but there were some nighttime flights. When the helicopters were not flying, the park was so quiet; it was like being out in the country. There was a large park about a mile away with sports fields, bike paths and a golf course. There were grocery stores within a few miles. If we were going to return to the area, we would stay in this park again. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

ADV

I stayed here for three months. It is one of my favorite parks, especially for long-term stays. It is a little tight if you have a large rig, but the park owner will help guide you into place, and help you again when you move out. The owner and managers are some of the nicest and most helpful people I have ever met. They are putting a lot of money into renovating the entire park. They told me they're planning to put in a swimming pool, a restaurant and other amenities. There are two large laundry rooms with lots of machines (that take quarters), $1 to wash, 75c to dry. Everybody I met there was very nice. I will absolutely stay here again when work brings me back to Southern California. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Fifth Wheel.

WayDre

This is an old park that has many permanent rigs. The park is paved with gravel sites and concrete patios. There is some grass but among the permanent rigs based on what we saw. Verizon air card is only two bars in a 4G area. Park is quiet after hours. They are doing renovation to some of the park sites, but the park needs upgrading overall. We are 36 feet and getting in (back in only) was quite tight. Unless there are longer and more accessible sites a 40 foot rig would have a hard time getting in. We would stay here again if we needed to be near the Burbank Airport. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

deb.williams

Quiet, clean, relaxed community atmosphere. Shade trees, landscaping/fruit trees, concrete patios, and picnic tables. Make you feel part of community whether overnight or longer. Personal, caring service delivered across the park every day. Family-Friendly Club House. 2 Laundry/Restroom/Shower facilities centrally located, fully equipped & maintained. Plenty of hot water & great water pressure in showers. Universal Studios is 12 mi, close to ALL Hollywood/LA area attractions. Bus stop within 2 blks., connecting to metro. Shuttle Service planned. Good Sam/Sr. Discount incl. hookups , Cable TV, Wi-Fi @ each site, paid $200.07/wk. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

redwake

This is an average park. I give it a 7 because the staff and residents were very friendly. The location is decent as well. There is a nice park and lake/pond down the street a short drive for the kids. We used this location as base camp for a visit to Universal Studios. One thing that annoyed me about this park is I had a hard time backing into my spot. The cars parked in the area as well as small streets made it very difficult for my 30' trailer however this again was off set by the kindness of the residents more than happy to move their cars voluntarily without me asking and another person came to spot me since my better half had not arrived yet. We camped at Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park) in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Balboa RV Park (formerly Birmingham RV Park)?