Mojave Narrows Regional Park

Victorville, California

Recent Rate: $28 10/2013

• yes-lake Waterfront

BJ Snowbird

Previous reviews are correct about the frequency of trains passing in close proximity to the pull-through sites. However, the back-in sites along the lake are far enough away that the noise was not obnoxious to us, especially since they pass quickly and do not blow their whistles. Of course, we also live in a railroad town, so are quite accustomed to trains. The check-in staff were very pleasant, the sites well-spaced, with low usage on a Sunday. We had no difficulty backing in our 32 ft. trailer. There are lots of trees, but we easily obtained a satellite signal. AT&T phone & data service worked well. We'd have no hesitancy to return here. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

blomquir

Weird place in that it has both significant good and bad things about it. The good: The valley it’s located in is quite nice, especially considering everything else around it. There’s horseback riding available there (within a healthy walking distance anyway). The lateral space in between each site is quite nice and if you’re backed in to one row of sites you have a wide grass field between you and the folks in the row uphill from you. The staff was visible at times but was not intrusive. The drives and the pads are asphalt. Verizon cell coverage was max bars here. The bad: Located a long way from I-15 i.e. 6-7 miles, so this isn’t a good OVN location in my opinion. The layout of the site driveways are all wrong in that the angle of them in relation to your neighbors across from you is way too sharp. If it were not for the fact my neighbor had parked his tow vehicle somewhere else I wouldn’t have been able to back into my site without spending significant time doing multiple ‘pull-ups’. No cable & no Wi-Fi for the price they charge is a bit out of line. The ‘facilities’ are terrible; run-down old school park bathrooms/showers with accompanying damage, not one of us would use them. The ‘Lake’ has been dry for a couple of years as I’m told (storm damage to dam) talk is there’s no plan on fixing the dam. Park closes early and if you want back in you have to unlock a paddle-locked swing gate (not easy when it’s dark outside), which is cumbersome and inconvenient. Finally, multiple freight trains running 24/7 within a stone’s throw of the sites. I would go back here but only because it’s a good centralized location for us to link up with friends whom live in the L.A. area. This place has crazy potential, but I guess when the county runs something like this there’s not much chance it will reach anywhere near the level it could be at if given to a private concern with adequate money to run/maintain/develop it. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Olytravvler

This park was a disappointment. It has been flooded very badly this year and is in recovery mode. (Lots of dirt and mud around everywhere.) The sites are great, but trains run adjacent about every 20 minutes (all night long). When we checked in, it was a long process and we had to produce the registration for both of our truck and trailer which we have never had to do before. This is not a place we will return to. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

jtc_rocks

I took a fishing trip up there arriving Friday evening and departing Sunday morning. The campground was sold out and the day use areas were full also. The nice thing about this campground is that there is so much space, trees, picnic benches, and open areas that I didn't feel crowded at all - even though it was full. I've stayed here numerous times over the years and always caught fish (trout in the winter, catfish in the summer). Unfortunately I didn't catch a single fish - the ranger told me they had just stocked horseshoe lake with 750lbs of catfish, but I only saw 2 people with fish the entire weekend. The water was very murky and I think that had a lot to do with the lack of catches. The other thing I like about Mojave narrows is that I can be sitting next to my campfire, then hop in my vehicle, grab some marshmallows or beer for a dozen different places close by, then be back at my campfire in 20 minutes. Their is lots of stuff close by if you forgot to bring something or run out of something. They give you a code to the gate so you can get in/out whenever you need to. I gave it a 8 out of 10 only because of the trains. There are 2 sets of railroad tracks behind the RV area. In past years the noise from the trains were not bothersome, but this trip the noise was much worse. A train is traveling north on one track or south on the other track every hour - even at night. For some reason the conductors blow their air horn right around when they pass the park - thankfully they don't do it at night, but the sound of the rails are very annoying. The staff is friendly and helpful, all of the RV spaces are wide and in general the park is kept clean. Try to get a site which is adjacent to horseshoe lake, it is also furthest from the railroad tracks. I would recommend this campground and will be camping here again. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Motorhome.

werner339

A nice park with plenty of room between sites. Has a nice lake, horses and camels! It has an excellent playground for the kids. Trains run all night and day, but if you turn on your a/c fan at night, it shouldn't bother you. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

california mike

We spent 4 nights in this very nice little park. The sites were long and level, and the 50 amp power was good and solid. The only problem is that the train tracks run within 300 to 500 yards of the park. Trains come roaring through at all times of the day and night. You do sort of get used to them after while though. The park itself is very picturesque with a large pond full of geese, herons, and ducks. We will definitely stay here again. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Motorhome.

lindar

Nice place. Noisy trains, which ran all night long. Only downside was even though it wasn't very full, everyone was next to each other. Told us the gate would be locked at 6 so gave us a gate code when we reserved out spot, but someone was there when we arrived at 6:45. Nice area for walks. River runs through the park with sites right next to it. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Motorhome.

horsefolk

This is a well run county/municipal run park and with that understanding : it is not up to private park standards only because the cannot turn away some of the riff-raff day users and camping-in-my car overnighters. It really is too bad as it is a great facility and could/should be a real money maker for the county as is Lake Cahuilla in Riverside Co. We enjoyed our stay, loved the trains, fishing, huge sites, etc but one prowler dropped them to a 6. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Travel Trailer.

exportman

Understanding that this place is a campground not a rv park, I gave it an 8. The sides are big, it has huge tables, a nice fire pit, TV stations of FOX, CBS, NBC and a few others but not ABC. Most sites have a "satellite view." The best sites back up to the water: 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,16; Next best sites are 2,4,6,8,10,12,14. Trains are not a real big problem in these sites. Good fishing and bird watching. $19 rate reflects a $2 senior citizen discount. We liked it a lot. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Motorhome.

BruceandKathyWA

On the plus side it is a pretty park with a lot of attractions: fishing, hiking, birding, horseback riding,etc. On the minus side it is noisy. The campground is adjacent to heavily used railroad tracks. I clocked a train going by behind our rig about once every 30 minutes. When I say "behind our rig" I mean a distance of about 50'. The only small blessing was that they didn't blow their horns and they kept the speed down. The other thing that I didn't care for is that to get to the park you have to drive through an amazing amount of urban and suburban sprawl. We probably won't use this park again unless we have no other options. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Steven L. Agnola

The park was nice. The park had trash in some areas, but otherwise OK. The restrooms need lots of work. Not maintained very well at all. They refilled the toilet paper every morning, but never cleaned the floors or the showers. They also lock the gates at 6:00 pm, but they give you the combination to the lock if you are needing to leave or come in after hours. The lock was hard to open as we had seen with others too. We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Motorhome Madness

Park has a small lake, some trash needs to be cleaned like food wrappers, fishing lines. Right by train tracks. About 5 miles east of I-15. 10 dollars to dry camp and have never been turned away for dry camp spots, hookups go fast on summer weekends, plenty of sites weekdays. We stay there a lot, good value, nice neighborhood, great to stop if travelling in Victorville area and needing a stopover. Gate closes at 5 but seems 6 pm more like it. It is a county park We camped at Mojave Narrows Regional Park in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Mojave Narrows Regional Park?