Barstow / Calico KOA

Yermo, California

35250 Outer Highway 15 North
Yermo, California 92398

Elevation: 1972' (approx.)

Ask fellow campers about "Barstow / Calico KOA" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: July, 2018 - $46.00

Nice campground, easy to find right off I-15, quiet even close to interstate, easy to navigate around park. Staff are friendly, polite and helpful. The restrooms, showers and laundry are clean and well kept up. Close access to gas and food services. I would stay here again anytime. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $45.00

Nice park, well laid out, lots of trees - all the green is a welcome relief in the desert. Nice large, level, shaded, gravel site. Didn't really interact with staff after check-in and once to extend but they seemed nice enough. We didn't use it, but looking in the laundry, about 3/4s of the dryers had an out of service sign on them. Again, didn't really care but the pool was unusable. Wifi was pretty much nonusable at our site but good Verizon signal so not a problem. A bit high priced but expect that with KOA and I've seen some KOAs nowhere near as nice as this one charge almost this much (or more!). We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $49.00

A full and smelly dog park poo disposal can. Needs to be emptied more often. The dog park is a sandy fenced area with no water, and a shaded bench. Great space behind park to let dogs run off lease. We showed up off season to a nearly empty park and was assigned a space with no shade 99*. Asked for a shaded space so our dogs could be tied outside. She pleasantly moved us to a nice space. Asked for pool hours but was told it wasn't open! When it's 99* out the pool should be opened no matter the month. It was April! We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Peggy Sue's restaurant! Great pie, pot roast. Yum!

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $42.00

We just stayed overnight. My first impression was favorable: Large dog park, a lot of shade, including some very well-shaded pull-throughs. When we got to our site we found we had no water. Not that it was a dry camping site--the water just wasn't available due to what looked like a poor pipe repair job. Fortunately, there was another site available, but after a long day driving it was no fun to wrestle with a bad water access only to find that the receptionist had made a mistake. Honestly, though, I'd stay there again for the shade and the large dog park. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Barstow / Calico KOA

Date of Stay: March, 2018 - $40.00

We have stayed at this park a bunch of times. Since our last stay they have added a very nice large dog park. If you want to visit Calico State Park this is a great place to stay. There is a bit of freeway noise here so request a site at the back of the park. The owners have made efforts to make this an interesting place to stay with things added around the grounds for decoration. Also, nice pool. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Motorhome.

I recommend Peggy Sue's Diner. We went to Barstow to see Rt 66 museum and Railroad museum but they were only open Fri, Sat, Sunday.

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $50.00

A great place to pull off the road and stay a night or two, large level gravel sites, most are pull through. Tables provided, many sites have fire pits and patios. Next to the I15 freeway, but noise was not that bad and was OK while in the RV. Employees were all very friendly, one offered coffee to us. They will also provide a shuttle to Calico, which we took advantage of. Nice stop on the way to or from Las Vegas. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Motorhome.

This KOA had a free shuttle to / from Calico Ghost Town, a local attraction that you can spend a few hours at, shops, restaurants, etc.

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $50.00

We were on our way from Nevada to San Diego, and it was getting late, so we decided to stop for the night at this KOA. Unfortunately, this was one of the worst service experiences I have ever had. We did not have a reservation, and I walked in to the office at 7:55 pm. The first thing the woman behind the desk said was, "You know we closed at 8:00 pm, right?" I apologized and asked if we could just get a spot for one night. She huffed, puffed and sighed during the whole transaction (which took about 5 minutes). I wanted to tell her, "Geez, I'm sorry for troubling you and giving you my money." The best part was when her co-worker walked in, and the woman behind the desk pointed at me and said, "See, I told you I should have locked the front door!" If I didn't have a tired wife and kids waiting for me, I would have taken my business elsewhere. I don't know if she is the owner or just an employee, but she is hurting the KOA brand. The actual facilities weren't bad, but nothing too special. The sites were on gravel and they were level. We didn't use the bathroom, so I can't comment on that. The dog area was just dirt. If you don't have to deal with the woman at the front desk, this place is an OK place for a stop over. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Travel Trailer.

There is a lot of dirt and gravel, so be prepared to get dusty. They have a pool, but it's closed during the winter.

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $45.00

We have stayed here for a night at a time over the past few years. It appears that the campground is going downhill. No one was at the desk when we checked in so I called 'Hello'! Some one came out of the office and was not happy that I disturbed her lunch. We were assigned a site at the front of the park, closest to the highway & the trash cans despite the comment that they only had 5 sites reserved & the park was nearly empty. One positive - our site was level and roomy. Then we went to do wash. They have a large laundry room but more than half the machines were out of order. The washing machines that were working were very dirty with a coating of sand & dust in every tub. Needless to say, no laundry was done. Also, some of the sites do not have the correct cable connector so you have to swipe one from another site. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: November, 2017 - $51.00

We had reservation for two nights, ended up staying one. Pull through barely long enough for 39 foot motorhome and tow. Near freeway very noisy, unsanitary conditions in the form of open sewer connections. Power was less than 108 volts and we could not use our microwave. Bright spot was the Desk clerk who got us a refund on unused day. Would not stay here again. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $51.00

This is another basic KOA built right next to Interstate so good for off and on to major road but also major noise. Internal roads and sites are gravel so nothing special to look at. Very little shade but of course this is desert so what can you expect (not Palm Springs). Overall was OK for a one night stop. FHUs worked OK but the lay out was a little odd. We actually had a little shade and since it was later in October it was cool. The major annoyance was another camper who was blasting his outdoor TV across the road behind us until after midnight. Nothing done by campground staff, just let it blast. WIFI worked OK and obviously the cable worked well (especially for our neighbor). I would be tempted to try another campground in this area if coming through again. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $51.00

This place is way overpriced for what you get. Right on the interstate, noise is constant. No hard surfaces or grass, only gravel. Shade is minimal. Services worked well. We've stayed in much nicer places and paid way less. OK for an overnight stop but we won't be back. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2017 - $46.00

Moderately spacious level sites with easily accessible hookups. WiFi was excellent. Our surge protector tripped on low voltage several times due to low voltage. Desk clerk stated it was due to Edison lowering voltage in San Bernardino. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Motorhome.

Calico Ghost town is a nice touristy visit. Gas at Chevron was a dollar more per a gallon than the station on the other side of freeway underpass.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $56.00

Hot, hot, hot. It is desert. Some shade sites. Pet area has no shade, so caution. Ground was over 130deg. Adequate for overnight, depending on temperature. If you do not need to go outside your unit, can be fine for overnight. I would not pay extra for an upgraded site, since it was too hot to be outside. Propane service required calling in to schedule someone to be at fill station. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Motorhome.

Arrive at sunset to avoid the heat if summer.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $50.00

As others have said, this park is okay for an overnight stop. We appreciated the trees at our site that offered some shade from the heat, and the sites were long and wide enough to be reasonable. The price is very high for the location. The wifi was iffy - it usually didn't work for my iPad, but did for my husband's. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Motorhome.

If you're coming from I-40, go straight under the I-15 freeway and turn left on the second frontage road. Don't follow your gps and turn left on the first frontage road because you'll have to go 2 miles to the next overpass and 2 miles back!

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $45.00

This is the best option in an area of few options. We used it as a stop over and it was fine. Not a destination campground. We camped at Barstow / Calico KOA in a Motorhome.

Featured Campgrounds Near Barstow / Calico KOA

Are you affiliated with Barstow / Calico KOA ?