3.4 Poor

Barr Lake Campground

Recent Rate: $40 8/2016

• Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $35.00

Full hookups, pleasant staff, mostly gravel. Good value for Denver area. Close to Denver and good access to fast developing shopping mall with food and shopping. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

C7

Nearby Pleasant Valley Mall

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $40.00

I would give this "campground" zero stars if I could! My husband and I were headed to Wyoming, then on to the Canadian Rockies, when we ended up needed to get our transmission looked at. The nearest facility that would even look at our motor home was near Denver, so we needed a place to stay for one night. There are very few campgrounds in the Denver area, and even fewer that had a space last minute. I called Barr Lake while we were en route. The woman who answered the phone said she was about to leave for the day, but would reserve a spot for us, we could do a self check in. Well, after driving and driving, we finally found the place around 6pm or so. I walked to the office, which was closed, but noted that our name was assigned a spot. I should back up and say that we were NOT impressed with the looks of this place before we even pulled in! As another reviewer mentioned, this looks like a permanent trailer park, with lots of junk laying around. We drove thru the place and could hardly believe how bad it was. After 11 years of rv-ing, this is honestly the worst "campground" we have ever seen! The junk was bad enough, but what really turned us off were the people wandering around the place, who looked to be on drugs, and/or were drug dealers. Very creepy place.

We'd been driving all day and were beat, but did NOT want to stay here. We found the site we'd been assigned to, then noticed that the electrical box had a pad lock on it! How on earth were we supposed to hook up? This dump wanted $40 bucks a night, plus an extra $2.00 per night for our little puppy (which is a joke!). We were so creeped out by this place we decided not to stay, it just did not feel safe! Ended up spending the night in a Walmart parking lot. The first time we've ever done that before. Certainly not comfortable or ideal, but it was 1,000 times better than Barr Lake! Oh, and the "camground" was also right next to a busy expressway and railroad track! We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Obstacles, Poor Conditions

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $42.00

Good luck in finding a decent campground on I-76 in CO. This one was adequate for an overnight, but it is really a permanent trailer park, with plenty of junk laying around the full timers. That being said, we felt safe and it was quiet enough for an overnight. We pulled in to several others on the way and would not even consider parking our RV. There is a great business opportunity for someone to open several parks in a cannot miss area. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2015 - $36.00

The park itself (common areas etc) appears well maintained and clean if old. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about some sites and, as noted, most sites are occupied by long-termers. Quiet for our weekday stay. Perhaps with little turnover there is no need for staff to be responsive via phone or office presence - in fairness, my call re: availability was returned after a few hours. Older park with a somewhat cramped layout but I've had much smaller sites and the road junctions are big enough for big rigs. Some sites could be a leveling challenge. All in all, its acceptable for a short stay. Especially considering what else is available this side of Denver and the price. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2013 - $45.00

Although the space was nicely sized, this campground was, well, awful. I called to make the reservation and asked about Internet at the site. She said yes, they have it but it could fade in and out. Well, there was none at the site. I had to get it in the office which closed early-ish, but was also available outside the office door. Sitting in the rain to get Internet was an issue. Also asked if there was a tornado shelter as Denver airport just had one and it was about 10 to 15 minutes away. She said the office was the shelter. However it closes at night so it's a shelter only during the day! This campground was extremely noisy with trains going by at least once an hour, including the middle of the night, all night. It is located about a half block from I-76 so the truck noise goes on all night. The place is not neat as it has probably 90% permanent residents which store junk all over the place. I would not stay at this 'campground' again, nor would I recommend it. I could stay elsewhere for the same or less money and I would. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: September, 2011 - $32.00

Stayed 3 weeks due to work in the area and was the only reason we stayed so long. Majority of residence are just that, residence; monthly locals and traveling tramps staying due to work, like myself. (Large Rigs and Big Trucks). Lots of road noise from 136th street, Hwy I-76 and railroad tracks (10:00pm - 4:00am). During stay, RV Park sewer system backed up twice (flooding in park once), power outages throughout park, rude / grumpy staff, narrow sites, majority of sites full sun, barking dogs, sites packed with yard stuff (broken cars, clutter), Wi-Fi advertised but never could find signal, flies where out of control, pool filled in with dirt, laundry facility looked ok, limited 50 amp sites, large RV storage area that looks like a junk yard. Close to shopping, restaurants, hardware, grocery, fuel and easy access to freeway. Recommend one night quick stop, actually stopping at a truck stop for the night would be better. Rated 2 only because full hook up access, when the sewer worked! We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2011 - $32.00

I give it a slightly higher rating due to the convenience to Denver and Boulder, fairly low price, cleanliness, new gravel, safety, and the fairly well stocked store. The staff is friendly, the laundry room is clean, they lock it now and use security codes - everything works. There are some Prevost motorhomes here, but mostly 5th wheels with big pick-ups all over the place. Vacationers, contractors, and long term full-timers, are in this park. I use earplugs at night, and don't mind trains anyway if they're far enough way, and this one is far enough away to not really be that loud. It's very convenient to the toll-road to Boulder or highway 7 or I-76. They just brought in big new gravel, so it's not too bad when it rains - just dodge the puddles of water. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2010 - $35.00

Only good for a place to sleep. Pool filled in with rocks and it was more of a hot tub size to begin with. Many campers here appear to be semi permanent. Very small sites. Big lagoon next to it. No lake by campground. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2010 - $38.00

I was nervous about staying here based on reviews but didn’t have an option as it was the only spot along my route in the time frame I wanted to stop. I was pleasantly surprised when we got there, they must have read the reviews and fixed the place up a bit. Nearly all the roads were gravel and my son loved the play area. I will stay here again when I come back through. The giant trees were a plus also since most the places I have stayed have no coverage from the sun. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2010 - $34.00

We came here without reading a review and should have! This park is run down and shows absence of pride of ownership. The park is run down, with weeds everywhere, rutted gravel interior roads and just looks dismal everywhere you look. There is absolutely no evidence of any attempt to clean this park up. There is significant Freeway noise from I-76 and a train that goes by several times each day and at night. Our site is long and wide enough for our 40' motorhome with 2 slides, but the tow car has to be unhooked and parked beside the site. The water pipes are wrapped for insulation, but our temperatures are much better then the other reviewers have encountered. The electrical pedestals are the old style and in several sites they have fallen over. We do have steady 50 amp service, water and sewer in C-5. There is major shopping nearby including a Wal-Mart. There is cable TV service but there are only 5 channels, we do better with our DirectTV satellite and OTA antenna. There is no evidence of a WiFi source, thankfully I have my own Internet Satellite. We didn't use the rest rooms, but an inspection of the laundry was very discouraging. This park is way overpriced for what you get. The price includes a Good Sam discount, but they charged me $5 extra for each dog so the rate ends up being far greater then I think this park is worth. I gave it better then a 1 because my coach fits in the site and the utility service is working in all aspects. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2009 - $1.00

This place is HORRIBLE. Nothing but potholes and mud. Very unkempt and trashy. I am here now. Woke this morning to 17 degree weather and their water pipe to my hose was frozen. Their heat strip was broken. I was told that there was nothing they could do today(Saturday), and I would have to wait till Monday. She said let it thaw out. The high today was supposed to be 32. No thawing would happen. I had to take it upon myself to get a heat strip and put it on THEIR line myself. Very unacceptable. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2009 - $32.00

This is absolutely the worst RV park we have ever stayed in during our 20 years on the road. We chose it due to proximity to friends we were visiting, but we would never return. Of the four days we were there, we had no water for two days. When we were leaving at 7:30 AM, one of the managers came by and told us we were making too much noise! All we did was close compartment doors and hook up towed vehicle and start engine on motor home. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2009 - $35.00

It's like camping in a run down trailer park. the pool was being repaired. The Main for the water broke and we were unable to shower/dishes for a day. Landscaping was non existent. poorly kept. I will NOT stay there again. Lots of old run down trailers with broken down cars/trucks and junk all around. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: July, 2009 - $34.00

We needed a campground near Denver International Airport and since this park is Good Sam and AAA rated we selected it for our stay. We were given a site in row A that was right next to a badly maintained and messy (junk spread all around) trailer being used as a full time / main residence by a gentleman with two barking dogs. There seemed to be quite a few sites being used as full time residences, some being cared for and others in terrible condition. Our site overlooked a fenced in weed full field and a storage lot that looked like an RV graveyard. The noise level is high as this park is near both a highway and railroad tracks which are in active use. The park was a disappointment to us as it is rundown and it's facilities are not kept clean. We would not recommend it for anything more than an overnight stop if no other options are available. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: October, 2007 - $38.00

This is an older campground with potential, and is maintained to the bare minimum. As mentioned by other reviewers, there are a number of "live-ins" there, and the sites are close together, lacking privacy. As others also mentioned, it is okay as an overnight stop, but not conducive to a longer stay - certainly not as advertised as an RV "park". It is located on the I-76 136th Street off ramp and there is some traffic noise, as well as nearby railroad traffic noise. This facility needs some attention to detail and sprucing up to be a comfortable RV park, and the elimination of every other space so the RV's aren't parked within feet of each other (ours was 9' from the one next to us). There is no real alternative east of Denver when you are looking for a spot to stay over, and want to get through Denver when heading east. The biggest drawback is the ripoff price of $37.50 per night. That price would be more realistic in a nicer facility, but not this one. The best thing that could happen for all RV'ers would be a competitor across the road or to the north of this place. There is no doubt it would be successful based on how full this place is and the high price they charge for what there is. There is a desparate need for a nice RV campground east of Denver and this one isn't it. We camped at Barr Lake Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Barr Lake Campground?