Golden Gate Canyon State Park

Golden, Colorado

Longitude: -105.446466207504

colochoclab

Great state park camping! The scenery is breathtaking! Very similar to Mueller State Park in appearance, just smaller and closer to Denver. We stay here every year and enjoy it immensely. Too bad it was not full hookups, oh well. Watch out for the close trees when turning. We traveled the Peak to Peak highway to Estes Park this time. Worth the time and drive! We will be back! We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

colochoclab

Beautiful scenery! We love this campground! densely wooded sites, so be careful pulling in and out of your spot. No Wi-Fi, but contrary to the park's notice, we DID have limited cell service through AT&T. I would have given this park a higher rating, but the camp hosts were not to be seen during our entire stay. Their rig was parked in the host spot, but no hosts. Campsites were dirty with trash and fire pits not cleaned out. Not a huge deal, but we've come to expect better from the hosts. We will be back! We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

travelnurse

Once again I give a perfect Colorado State Park a point off because of their reservation policy. However, this cool mountain oasis is wonderful camping/RVing. Huge spots with fire rings, many recreation opportunities including a gambling mecca in Blackhawk a few miles away. A word of caution. GPS does not work well here and cell phone service not existent. The primary camp area is 5 miles from visitors center with better access off 119. Roads are steep and twisting so be safe and know how to get to Reverends Ridge Camp before you try to get their relying on your electronic devices. This is also true for hiking and mountain biking. This is a destination/vacation campground as their is much to do here and in the surrounding area We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Motorhome.

katinfoco

We camped at Reverend's Ridge CG. This CG has 1 building with showers and flush toilets. Other buildings just have flush toilets. Shaded blacktop campsites (well spaced), dump station, lots of roads in the CG for bike riding. Good AT&T cell phone reception, adequate 3G. Twenty two per night + state daily park fee. We camped in a small 5th wheel, back-in site. The pull-through sites are huge. Attempted the hike to Panorama Point, but turned back after ~1.5 miles as the trail was very steep (distance noted on their map was 2.5 mi). Found out later you can drive to Panorama Point. Great view, don't miss it. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

colochoclab

Excellent camping area! Good selection of camping spaces, many of which are pull-throughs, but you need to reserve early because weekends are always full. This is our second time here, and we had site #53. A huge site on a corner, so no view of neighbors, and our pull through was almost 80ft in length! Lots of space between sites for the pull-throughs; back-ins seemed a bit tighter, but still lots of room. Very quiet atmosphere! No clue about the previous poster's dog comments (although we have 2 dogs, Ha! Ha!). No more barking than you would hear anywhere else, less actually. Lots of places to hike, and leashed dogs were allowed on trails. Do watch out for the altitude, 9200 ft is a bit thin air! Cool evenings. Good Ranger programs on weekends. Sites are electric only, but water is available here and there. Dump station is totally rebuilt and very nice! Showers were good, but one bathroom was a wreck according to the wife. Lots and lots of trees! (Watch out when maneuvering trailers). Fairly steep climb, but short, to get to the campground from either entrance. We prefer Highway 72 to Gap Road. Last section is unpaved, so beware. The Golden Gate Canyon Roadway is fully paved, but a bit longer and twisty. All in all, a great place to stay close to Denver and Central City. As a side note on Blackhawk/Central City, it is a total casino town with little else to do. It has definitely lost its small town atmosphere with neat shops. Kind of sad. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

04Sundancer

I would have rated this campground a 9 or 10 if it were not for the dogs. Good grief, it must be mandatory for everyone staying here to have 2 dogs. I would not have cared except for with that many dogs there are bound to be owners that simply do not care that their dogs bark incessantly. Sitting around the campfire listening to dogs barking, sigh. Beyond that, the sites were clean and level and plenty of trees. Bathrooms were clean but, I used my motorhome facilities due to warnings from prior posters here about showers. There were a few ranger programs at the amphitheater, even in Sept! I had fair AT&T service (not so much for data). The dump site was easy to use. My 31' Class easily navigated up here via Hwy72 and Gap Road (I was nervous about coming up that way). Easy to make a quick trip to the Casinos if your so inclined. I'll come back for sure but I'll make sure to get a perimeter spot next time so I don't feel like I'm surrounded by barking dogs. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Motorhome.

bambilynn

Another one of the beautiful CO State Parks. Additional $10 for reservation plus daily park pass or annual pass required. Camping in the forests is one of our favorite things. But be forewarned. Altitude is 9200 feet (according to the ranger) and bike riding was not possible for this lowlander. I could barely walk without huffing. Only a 45 min beautiful canyon drive to west Denver. Love this place. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Motorhome.

smoothsailin

This park is actually closer to Black Hawk than Golden, about ten miles north of Black Hawk. A bit pricey since the daily $7 vehicle fee must be added to the $22 site fee. This is a nice pine tree filled campground run by the state. We stayed in the hookup loop which has electric only. There is a free clean dump and fill station in the middle of the campground. The loop has all pull through sites that are widely spaced and level. Campsites are clean with well kept fire pits and tables. There is no Wi-Fi and Verizon cell was a maybe only if you went up to the entrance. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

User2197

We chose to stay here before the park officially opened for the summer. They only had two bathrooms open and the only water we found was located near the dump station which was fine for us, but they still expected you to pay the $7.00 per car per day in addition to the nightly camping fee of $22.00! The showers were not open nor was the laundry so really there were no amenities available. At one point we had three cars and it was a total of $43.00 a night. It is a nice campground but not worth the price. Heck, we could have stayed at a private campground with full hookups for that price. It was early and there were only 3 other campers in the entire park, so that was very nice. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

NT2013

To me camping is getting away from civilization. Public parks generally offer camping experiences. Private parks work best for people who are looking for a spot to park their motel on wheels. I was thrilled to find a state park so close to a convenience store. It also had multiple hiking trails and wonderful camp sites. We came in from the south up 119. It is not a bad drive. The park was almost empty when we were here: mid week after school had started. I only have two complains. The poorly designed dump site. There are two sewer hookups 10 feet apart on the same side. There is no way for 2 rigs to dump at the same time unless they are both under 10 feet. The other was the one armed bandits in the showers. It took all my quarters but refused to reset so I could rinse the shampoo from my hair. I ended up rinsing my hair in the fish cleaning area. I had to be fully clothed of course to pull this off. This has happened to me twice now in CO state parks. I don't mind putting the quarters in pay showers. But the dang things should work! I am glad to know the rangers are ticketing irresponsible pet owners who let their dogs run off leash. I have talked to 3 hosts this year who have been bitten. It is getting to be a real problem. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

colochoclab

Fantastic! Although we have lived in the Denver metro area all of our lives, this was our first trip to Reverend's Ridge Campground. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking! Calm, quiet and very peaceful. Dense trees make it feel you are far from civilization and provide plenty of privacy from neighbors. Wide variety of sites available, some are better than others, check the park website before picking. We were in B Loop site #16. Very long pull-throughs, but be aware of your turns with many, many trees around. Some of the back-in sites were for small trailers only. Good electrical hookups and the dump station was fair. (On a slope, so my black tank didn't drain completely) The only reason it didn't get a 10, was the showers. Although modern, they were dirty/moldy with tepid water. Very high pressure, so watch out! For us, it was a bit of a walk to the showers as there is only one shower house in the area. A nice walk anyway! Lots of dogs around (A+ in our book!) And the rangers kept everything under control. The camp store doesn't have much, so pack well. We can't wait to return! A tip: Golden Gate Canyon is a very twisty 18 miles. The alternate route is Highway 72 / Gap Road, less twisty, but steep in places. We did both, prefer Gap Road! (Gap Road is NOT paved for the last 6 miles) We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

bobotron

Nice campground, but it's pretty remote. Being from the moderately flat midwest, we were not expecting such a climb pulling our trailer, and 14 miles of twisty road to get up to the campground. (Note: bring your RV/Camper up from the South instead of Golden Gate Canyon Road!) If we had realized it was so remote, we would have picked somewhere with easier access to Denver and freeways. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get to civilization. Campground was scenic and trails were great. We thought we could stay here and save a few bucks on camping fees, but then a rather unfriendly park patrolman gave me a $50 ticket for having a dog off leash. (It was an 11 p.m. bathroom run for my son, and there was nobody in our whole circle except us and my parents.) So be prepared to follow the book. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Groenlo

Gorgeous campground in a fabulous location, convenient to Indian Peaks, Eldorado Canyon, Nederland, Boulder, Golden. We stayed in site #40 for 5 nights. Nice hiking trails on-site, but I wouldn’t recommend the Raccoon trail – too much of it follows an ugly dirt road in the bottom of a drainage. There are too many other great trails nearby. Water and sewer are centrally located, but fairly convenient. Bathhouse was very modern and clean, but no soap provided even for hand-washing, and the coin-operated showers are absolutely awful. I got all set up for my first shower, towel, soap, etc. all laid out, undressed, only to find my shower only eats coins, and does not dispense any water. The one next to it “worked”. Rather than a shower, I would describe it as a coin-operated cold pressure-washer. On full-hot it was quite cool, and the pressure could not be reduced below my pain threshold without turning the temperature icy. So I depended on my tiny camper’s shower for the rest of the trip and grew to appreciate it even though I can’t stand up straight in it. The campground itself is fantastic, and I would recommend it very highly. It is extremely clean, the hosts were very friendly, and the rangers courteously but firmly kept people from annoying each other. The understory beneath the pines is kept clear, which provides a very pretty aesthetic depth to the woods. The campsites are well-spaced and well-positioned to maximize privacy and the impression of the high mountain forest. I would recommend loop D, where we stayed, but this campground is full of great sites. It would be hard to go wrong. Google maps pointed us up Mountain Base Rd as the shortest route. But this road is closed to RV’s and vehicles pulling trailers. We took the longer route recommended, which was not that much longer (maybe 10 minutes) and definitely safer. Mountain Base Rd is definitely not suitable for trailers or RV’s – it’s too steep and curvy. I would have been terrified if I had ignored the sign, and I’m not sure I would have made it. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

nedmtnman

Being a Colorado resident and over 65 years old, I got an Aspen Leaf Season Pass that let's me stay 1/2 price Sunday through Thursday, so the $9 rate. This is great park for smaller rigs but I have a 38 foot 5'ver so there are limited spaces I can use. It is a beautiful park and the 50 amp electric is nice. The dump station has a tendency to get backed up at check out time. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

and away we go

Beautiful campground up in the mountains. Had lots of trees, and the sites had plenty of room. Bathrooms were very clean. Had a great time. We will stay at this park again. We camped at Golden Gate Canyon State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Golden Gate Canyon State Park?