Cottonwood RV Camp

Idaho Springs, Colorado

• yes-stream Waterfront

arobic76

The stream campsites are in the owner's front yard. The "Rule Sheet" you get is a page long filled with more don'ts than do's. Parking and turning around are difficult. We were told they only took credit cards, but upon arrival we had to pay cash. Unfriendly staff. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Travel Trailer.

Dale and Cyndi House

I made a 4 night reservation at this campground for 2 adults and 2 dogs (Lab and Husky) in a 35 ft motorhome. The website stated: shaded sites with trees...near or on creek...leash free dog area. When we arrived we were pointed to a gravel parking spot with no trees, no shade, no grass, no dirt, no table...just a parking spot in between 2 other RVs with maybe 5 ft between each. The "dog area" was the side of a mountain almost impossible to get to. I did show the host the print out of his website and asked for a creekside site. He told us those sites are for people without pets and if we didn't like the spot we could just leave. So we did. This was also a cash only place which they did not tell us on the phone, and we would have had to go back into town for the cash. We will never stay here. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

Littlebigrv

The rate includes the sales tax, and had to be paid in cash. I might have driven on if I hadn't already been turned away from a state park campground that morning, the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend. The campground is in a narrow canyon and so neither my cell phone nor my mobile Internet router worked, but they gave me a pass code for a good strong Internet access, although slower than Verizon's 4G signal. I also asked for and got the spot next to the creek. It's amazing how much more restful a rushing creek is than traffic noise. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

RV4CATS

We made reservations in advance requesting a spot by the stream, and got exactly that. Our site was beautiful. The whole park is well maintained, clean, and quiet. The owners are very nice and helpful. The WilFi was strong and consistent throughout our stay. The park is ideally located near many hiking trail-heads and attractions. We will definitely return here. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

RckyMtnRVer

We have stayed here for many years and find it to be idyllic. Peaceful, clean, impeccably kept grounds. This is not a park for kids - there are no playground areas or activities in the park. It is a quiet, reserved place obviously built for those who value an escape to a serene setting with pleasant summer weather. We always travel with our pets and as long as you follow standard etiquette for pet owners (ie: leashes, clean up after them) this is a lovely place for them as well. It is a cash business so bring cash. We run a small business and know the extreme costs and hassles associated with accepting credit cards as payment, so a cash basis is not only understandable but to be expected of a small operation in this transient industry. WiFi works great and the only issue we've had here were other campers not respecting the right of those around them to peace and quiet. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

tkin

This is NOT a camp ground it's a trailer park. The owners are the rudest people I have ever meet. We were suppose to stay 4 nights but on the first night our grand kids came up to visit and decided to stay with us for one night, (they are 4 and 9). At about 6 pm the owner came to the camper yelling at my wife "what are those kids doing here, your husband said there was only two of you, your cheating me". I was down in Denver at the time, when I came back I went to the office to see what the problem was. The owner and his wife both started yelling about being cheated. (The charge for one child was $2 the other was free, which I would have gladly paid had they been half way decent about it). Instead they continued to tell me what a bad person I was for lying to them about how many people were staying in my camper. This was absolutely ridiculous. I have been in business of many years and this was the worst customer service that I have ever seen. I would have left that night if it wasn't so late when I returned. We left the following morning, I would rather stay in a Wal-Mart parking lot than in this dump of a trailer park. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Fifth Wheel.

pbastedo

Nice grounds but owners were not very friendly. Also, there are no restrooms available, units must be self-contained. It's like you are camping in someone's yard. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

Ted Morgen

Very small park. Not much room to turn around. No checks or credit cards, cash only is a pain. The WiFi worked very well, best I've seen yet. The staff is courteous yet right on to business. No discounts, a bit pricy. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Travel Trailer.

Pete_by_the_river

We've stayed at this park several times. For us, it's one of the better parks in the Golden/front range area. The park is clean with nice lawns and a creek running through it. The RV area surrounds the owner's home. There are rental houses and a mobile home park adjacent to where the RVs park. We were able to get Verizon cell service and "air card" service at broadband speeds -- until a recent thunder storm appears to have wiped out the tower. The WiFi offered by the park is sporadic. Our rig is 43', and the owner did a great job directing to get me into our assigned space. On an earlier trip, we were able to be on the main road backed up to the creek -- a lovely site. (Not much traffic on the road.) This time, we're behind the owner's house where 6 or 7 spaces are laid out on gravel -- they're a little close together, but the park hasn't been full this season (fuel prices?) so the RVs have been relatively well spaced out. There's no facilities for kids or outdoor activities (picnic tables, etc), so it's not really for the RVer who is looking for outside living. The owners have been friendly and accommodating. Cash only is accepted -- check by mail to confirm advance reservation. Cable TV is by Comcast (you can get the channel lineup online). We are likely to stay here again. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

sundance

Almost didn't stay here due to previous reviews but decided to try one night since the location seems ideal. The owners were cordial. When I had originally called, the one owner told me I could get WIFI at my site. When I called about 10 miles out, I was told by the other owner that there was not a central WIFI system and I could not get WIFI at my site. We went anyway. It is actually a mobile home park with a few sites for motorhomes. The streamside sights are always booked way in advance and there are few of them. The site we were in backed up to the trees on the side of the mountain. It was large enough for our rv and tow. The park is well kept and clean. The grass and flowers are quite pretty. Previous reviewers are right, they only take cash or travelers checks. The do have free cable tv. The owners live in a house onsite and that is where you check in. They did not offer us a receipt when we gave them the cash nor do they have any handouts. There is no listing of what tv channels are on the cable like we have gotten everywhere else we have gone. There is no laundry or bath house. There are no picnic tables. If you want WIFI, you must sit on their front porch. I got it once but someone else in the park told me that she could not get it and was told it was sporadic. The only cell phones that work are AT&T. We have Alltel and the people in the site next to us had Verizon and neither one of us could use our phones unless we drove into Idaho Springs. I thought the price was kind of high considering that there is not a lot of service available. Probably won't return. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

bobblefrog

We wanted to like this campground, but unfortunately left feeling we were never really welcome. We made reservations over the phone - they required we send a check for a deposit, which was unusual, but not a real problem. However what they didn't tell us until we got there, though, as we were standing in their makeshift lobby in their house (we weren't invited to sit down) that they take cash only for the length of our stay in advance. Fortunately we travel with that - I would have hated to turn the rig around and try to figure out where an ATM machine was in town, park, etc. They do have beautiful grass spots out by the stream, but you can only stay there if you don't have a dog. Dog owners are regulated to the little parking lot with a lovely view of the owner's home. There were some pretty flowers on the bank and in some planters, but we both felt, reviewing it, that it was all for the owners benefit rather than the campers. The owner was very impatient helping us back in our space and even more grouchy when our electric cord wasn't long enough (hookups in the back, not the side) and we had to back our rig over the grass so it would reach. Fortunately except for that we never had to talk to them again. There are no restrooms or facilities. They say there is no Wi-Fi but I was able to access a signal on my laptop and used it briefly during our stay. The pet walk is a joke! It is a steep gravel-ridden path up the ridge. The area before it which is grassy is laden with signs warning you not to let your pet relieve itself there. If you have any sort of physical problem you will not be able to manage it safely. Being in good health I managed it but would not have done it if it was at all muddy or icy. Not unless I wanted a broken neck. At night none of the dogs (we talked to the other campers) would go near it. Ours practically sat down and refused to budge. We suspect there were some bigger, meaner critters up there then! It is pretty and well-maintained. The price is not bad. It is just we felt that the owners were sort of grouchy sorts that were happy to take our money, but really wished we were invisible and didn't take up any of their time or effort. We won't be staying there again. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

Ed Mazz

This is a cash or check only campground. We have a 40 foot rig and fit into a space without any problems. I did not see anything for kids to do other than play in the river that runs along the campground. There are no bathrooms or showers. Our spot was in the area of mobile homes, but they were well kept up. Park was very clean and kept up. This is the only campground in the town other than one that is in a gravel/dirt lot adjacent to the Indian Springs Resort, where there are great mineral baths and a pool. We would stay again at this park. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

alfauser2

This is a strictly cash business. The owner lives in their house on site. The owner insisted on guiding our rig into the site. He guided us into a low hanging cable wire that ripped off our fantastic vent. He said he wanted to pay for the "Repair" of the vent, so send it in to the factory. Due to cold and wet weather we needed the vent replaced that night. We made a trip to Denver to purchase a new vent, to fill the hole left by removing the now broken vent. The owner refused to pay for the new vent! When we made a reservation, we had to send in a check. We were assured that our motorhome would fit in the space chosen for us. When we arrived and realized the space was not suitable, our deposit would not be refunded. This park is not for large RV's of any type, no matter what the owner says. There are no outside bathrooms or toilets. All RV's must be selfcontained. This is another case of the owner just wanting his money no matter what he has to tell the traveling public. We camped at Cottonwood RV Camp in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Cottonwood RV Camp?