Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA)

New Castle, Colorado

Recent Rate: $55 8/2014

• yes-stream Waterfront

broncobillyaz

We had made reservations in January 2014 for a one night stay in August 2014. We requested a pull-thru for our 36' fifth wheel. We arrived rather late (8:30 PM) and tired after an 11 1/2 hour drive from Arizona. When we arrived, the office was closed and a set of instructions had been left for us. Our site was way too small for the size of our rig, the site was very unlevel on ungroomed dirt and the hookups were all in the wrong places requiring us to select either electric or water for the night. We selected electric so at least we would have power to the fifth wheel RV. The water hookup could not be found without the use of a flashlight; it was literally located in scrub and long meadow grass that had not been cleared in some time. I used the shower facilities to wash my hands, and when I entered the men's facilities, it was filthy with water everywhere including the sink counters, and toilet paper, paper towels, and empty toiletry containers everywhere - not a place where I would take a shower! All of this for $55.00 per night, thus not a place where we would return. Beware, the photos on Elk Creek Campground are not actual photos of the place. They are only advertisement photos of hikers and fishermen. This place is better suited for tent campers and dry camping in small rigs. We would never return here! We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Fifth Wheel.

Chuckchuck

If you don't need Internet, cell service, or lights at night this is for you. This park has such potential, but is neglected. Weeds swallowing up picnic tables and extremely unlevel lots. There is never anyone in the office. This place could be so great. We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Motorhome.

Dutchy1961

Very poor and spooky. We stayed there for one night. It's an ex KOA RV park, but they still used the KOA sign. We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Motorhome.

peg513

We stayed a here a month. This park has a beautiful location. However, clean and well maintained are not words to describe it. Neglected, overgrown and dirty are more appropriate. The bathrooms were hit or miss as to whether they were clean. The laundry machines are newer, but are not wiped down like in other campgrounds / parks. Their website claims 4 Ws from Woodalls, but Woodalls doesn't list them. Given the amount of sucker growth on the trees and the amount of weeds, it has been several years since the 4W rating was granted. We could barely get our awning out due to growth low on a tree. We couldn't fully park in our site because of sucker growth from an old stump. The park has such potential, but it is being allowed to deteriorate. A pruning saw, weed wackier and bucket of hot soapy water would go a long way to improving the park. I would not list this park as big rig friendly. Our 5th wheel is 34' and we felt squeezed. As others have stated the sites are packed close and every which way in an attempt to get as many as possible. There are lots of shade trees and a lovely stream. They do provide lots of dog poo bags. The adjacent county road is good for long dog walks and the locals were courteous to me and the dogs. We will not stay here again. We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Fifth Wheel.

jdew

This KOA was sold several years ago and is now the privately owned Elk Creek Campground (2011). We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Motorhome.

gottacruise

After reading the other reviews regarding the strange layout, I decided to try it anyway because I only have a 21' motorhome. I should have listened. Once I did the night deposit, a man came and told me to go to any site I wanted. I asked him where the WiFi was the best, and he told me two areas. I tried getting my rig into 2 different spots with no luck. I finally parked in one right next to the stream. It's not very level. It's very pretty, but the WiFi was hit and miss inside my RV. I got no channels on the TV and my cell phone doesn't work. Those things are important to me as I travel. For those people who just want a pretty spot, it would probably work well. It's very dark at night, and I didn't hear any noise to speak of. My price for for electric only. There's a different price for whatever hookups you want. I probably will not stay here again. We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Motorhome.

Rambling All Around

This is a beautiful campground. Very natural, with a beautiful brook going through it. BUT, the sites are very poorly laid out. Very difficult to figure out what's what. It says big rig friendly, but I would have to say NO. We have a 38 foot rig and we just made it. I spend about 20 minutes in the car driving around trying to find something that we could fit in. WiFi is great as are the hookups. If they would just fix the sites so that you can figure them out. I would not come back here as it was just too hard with our big rig. We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Motorhome.

neb

Great location on the relaxing Elk Creek, in a gorge with many surrounding trees and interesting red cliffs. Poorly laid out campsites are close together and crammed with as many tents and RV’s in each site as possible. The day use area is in the middle of the overnight sites. No rules were enforced. Even the manager’s husband never had his dog on a leash as required. Off and on all day were unsupervised, screaming, rock throwing, cliff climbing children walking through and playing directly in front of our creekside site. We could not sit outside and enjoy the creek ourselves. The manager is very friendly but keeps erratic office hours so we had difficulty making a reservation, and upon our arrival we found that she had neglected to write down our reservation information. Luckily we arrived early enough that there was still space available. We planned to stay 4 days but left after 2. This park is a zoo. Perhaps it might be a better place on weekdays with fewer out of control campers. If you want a peaceful, relaxing visit as previous reviews refer to, don't stay in a site on the creek. But then why stay at Elk Creek without the creek? We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Motorhome.

HJohnson

Ignore the reviews prior to this season! Elk Creek Campground was a magical place for our family. This site is full of natural beauty and gave us the real feel of mountain camping. Our tent rested on a corner of Elk Creek and the rushing river sounds lulled us into a deep restful sleep. The campsites are well spaced and tree-lined, giving you a feeling of privacy, no roadside lines of tents here! Water and electric are offered at every site, too. The bathrooms and laundry are clean and bright, even a cozy arm chair while you wait for your clothes to dry! The best part is the new management. They were helpful and available for any questions and led us to a great hike nearby. I would highly recommend any Glenwood Springs visitors drive the extra 30 minutes to stay at Elk Creek Campground! We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Tent.

Doobie

We stayed at park from September 2008 to April 2009. The company my husband worked for leased our site. This was a beautiful park but that's about the only good thing I can say. Phone and internet connections were poor. After a couple of months using the water, they brought in large tanks and delivered water to us every day. At times we would run out of water. Never did find out what was wrong with the water. Therefore we could not use the laundry facilities. There was a "no rules" atmosphere. Party animals could party all night long and be as loud as they wanted, with no regard for others. Children were not supervised at times. Some pets were allowed to roamed the park: a couple of the kids were bit. If you had a complaint you might as well keep it to yourself. If, and I'm saying if, you could contact the person that was suppose to be managing the park: nothing would be done. Hope I never have to stay here again! We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Fifth Wheel.

Chris C

Elk Creek Campground, New Castle, Colorado does not deserve the support of the RV community! I've been planning a trip to the Glenwood Springs area of Colorado for the past year to take two weeks of instructions. I tried making reservations last Fall, but none of the RV parks in the area (there are only 3!), would accept reservations until the first of April. So I did my research and found the nicest of the 3 (supposedly Elk Creek Campground) and made my reservations the 1st of March. I'm glad I did, because they were almost booked for the summer when I called! I'm supposed to leave for Glenwood Springs on the 15th of June. Just 7 days from now. Last night I received a telephone call from the campground telling me they'd cancelled my 15 day reservation, along with everyone else, because an oil company had come in and reserved the entire park for the whole season and beyond, for their employees. There are no other decent reservations in the area. We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Motorhome.

Our Cow

Definitely a campground! No WiFi, no cable TV, no local TV, no wireless signal cause it too deep in the woods and mountains. 6 miles off interstate on narrow winding road. Appeared to be several worker travel trailers and 5ers. VERY STEEP driveway. 50 amp was $51, 30 amp was $41, way overpriced. Definitely not a good overnight stay. Old KOA, owner didn't want to spend the $ for WiFi and cable TV, trees need trimming, sites were muddy after a little rain. Walmart is across the interstate and there are more RV parks down the road in either direction. Would not stay here again! We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Motorhome.

hawkpat

A beautiful if bit pricey campground. Wanted to stay closer to Glenwood Springs but other parks were full so drove 10 miles farther to Elk Creek. Groceries available at I-70 exit and campground is about 4 miles north. Lots of big trees and a nice running creek spans the property. Only drawback is the price with no pool, wi-fi, etc. We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Fifth Wheel.

Prowling Around

This former KOA campground has truly seen some major improvements over the years. The campground staff is friendly and patrols constantly to keep everything clean and orderly. The nearby stream helps to drown out other noises, which we appreciated with an 18m old baby sleeping. The sites are a bit small and full hookups are limited. (I would definitely call in advance if you need a full hookup.) I do feel that the price is a little high given the lack of space and extra activities available. I asked about price breaks for weekly or monthly rates and was told that they "paid a pretty penny for this campground and couldn't afford to give any discounts". (This was a little off-putting.) The "game room" consisted of three out of order video games and two pay-per-play pool tables. I don't know if all the balls were present, because cue sticks certainly were not. The playground has a very nice Little Tikes set, but the grounds inside the area could use some work. The sole bench was overrun with ants and rugosa roses. Across the campground's bridge there were two main hiking trails. One leads alongside the stream and the other goes almost straight up rock outcropings. Both trails were easily climbed by my 7 year old son. Pets are allowed but cannot be left unattended. (We did leave ours in the trailer with the air conditioning running.) Dogs are required to be on-leash, except for the two that are owned by the campground owners. We adore the Glenwood Springs area and this campground is by far the best we have stayed in. We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Travel Trailer.

Shavano

Nice park, very friendly staff. Little pricey for the size of sites, lack of pool, etc. Quiet hours enforced nicely. We camped at Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA) in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Elk Creek Campground (fomerly New Castle/Glenwood Springs KOA)?