Nickerson Park Family Campground

Chaplin, Connecticut 06235

• Electric (50 AMP) Electric (50 AMP) no
  • Public Phone Public Phone yes
  • Restrooms Restrooms ?

Ask fellow campers about "Nickerson Park Family Campground" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: October, 2018 - $35.00

This may have been a nice campground at one time, but it has become run down over time. Almost half of the sites are seasonal and about half of them are starting to look like trash heaps. The riverside sites are hard to back into because they have rocks and logs on the side of the road which limits your ability to turn. We got our 30-foot trailer in eventually, but I don't think a longer trailer would fit. The wifi is super slow (unusable) and we had a weak TMobile signal. We had an area of clear sky so no problem pointing our satellite dish. The staff here are really friendly, but there is definitely a communications problem. We received a call before we arrived telling us they had to shut off the water to some of the sites due to cold weather and they were going to move us to another site. We were also told that the water might be shut off to all sites at night if it was going to get below freezing. No problem. We could fill our fresh water tank and use it at night. When we arrived we found they had moved us only 3 sites down (on the same water line) and were told the water was off at all sites and it was staying off. That would have been nice to know that before we arrived. I carry water in my jerrycan across the park for 2 days only to discover the water had been turned back on. To conserve water, I decided to use the camp showers. Big mistake. They are coin operated and the coin machines don't work in some of the showers (which you only find out after losing your money). The showers are not heated (neither are the bathrooms) and once you find one that works, there is no way to control water temperature. The circuit breaker routinely flipped even though we were not using much power. The playground equipment looked old and outdated. They need to trim the low hanging tree limbs. We watched campers crack limbs when trying to drive to their site. The campground is badly in need of maintenance. If you have a choice, I'd recommend you stay somewhere else. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

R-11

Scraping Branches

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $36.00

If I focus on the scenery surrounding this campground, the steep, rocky hills, the babbling brook, the woodland just receiving spring's first touch, then I can say that this was a good week. If I think about the specifics of my site and experience, I come to a different conclusion. When I arrived, no one was there to check me in or point me to a camp site. After half an hour, a staff member, friendly but without authority to made decisions, was able call the manager, who pointed me to a site. It was a back-in, not the pull-through I had arranged, and it was right across the lane from a dumpster, so I had to set up in a cloud of fresh spring flies. The site was nice and wide, and I backed in with little trouble, but the surface was soft and muddy with recent rains. The manager did call on me later to apologize, but it took a third contact to actually get the receipt I asked for. I had earlier posted the address of the park to Netflix, in order to receive DVDs from my queue. They discouraged that address, due to past frequent returns of shipments, so I decided to do without Netflix DVDs for a week. The upshot is that the park suffers from weak management. There seems to be a lot of work going on in the park, but what happens in the office is slipshod. My site had full hookups, though the water pressure was low. The rocky hills interfered with cellular service, so my wifi was weak, but still good enough to stream movies through my Apple TV. Despite the management issues, I had a reasonably good week at Nickerson Farm Family Campground, though I would look elsewhere before going back. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2018 - $35.00

This is our yearly return visit to Nickerson Park. Geography at the campground is level with open and shaded areas. Our W/E hookups were in good working order. We did not try the WiFi but good signal on our Verizon cell phone. Campground is about 40% seasonal, most seasonal campers were in good shape but a few were showing some age. Interior roads are packed dirt, level and easy to maneuver. Maintenance staff was especially helpful on resolving some issues. Most sites, especially the non river sites have enough space where backing in should not be difficult. Campground is clean and decently maintained. Would certainly return again or recommend this place to anyone. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

R-34
Sand

Date of Stay: April, 2017 - $26.00

Rate reflects discount. This year we were able to book a riverside site which overlooked the scenic Natchaug river. Our site was level and somewhat small in size for our 20' TT. Our water & electric hookups were in good working order. Interior roads are packed dirt & rock. We did not try the WiFi but we had a good signal on our Verizon cell phone. Geography at campground is level with open and shaded areas. Staff was professional and friendly. Campground is clean and decently maintained. Would certainly return again or recommend this place to anyone. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

riverside site

Sunny Open, Mostly Shady

Featured Campgrounds Near Nickerson Park Family Campground

Date of Stay: April, 2016 - $45.00

We came opening weekend to take advantage of the trout fishing on the Natchaug river and of course to enjoy camping. One of the reasons why we continue to choose this campground is because of the friendly environment and the enforcement of campground policies. Interior roads had some potholes but nothing to over the top. Our sit hookups were in good working order. Campground is in a flood plain because of the Natchaug river so do expect some sand at most of the sites. We did not try the WiFi but we had a good signal on our Verizon cell phone. Geography at campground is level with open and shaded areas. Most sites, especially the non river sites, have enough space where backing in should not be difficult. Campground is clean and decently maintained. Would certainly return again or recommend this place to anyone. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Dirt, Sand, Grass

Sunny Open, Some Shade, Mostly Shady

24 Hour Walmart & Home Depot 10 minutes away

Date of Stay: April, 2014 - $35.00

This is our yearly return visit to Nickerson Park. They were not able to accommodate us with the site we would have liked but they got us a over sized full hookup site which worked out great. Staff professional and friendly. Geography at campground is level with open and shaded areas. Most sites, especially the non river sites, have enough space where backing in and should not be difficult. One change for this year is the old restroom building in the center of the campground has been replace with a new building. Campground is clean and decently maintained. Owner offers worship service at the rec hall every Sunday. Would certainly return again. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2013 - $35.00

Park is secluded with lots of trees. Very peaceful and quiet. Many river sites. The majority of sites are occupied by seasonals but that is generally the case in this part of the country. Roads are dirt/rock as are the sites. With rain it does become muddy and the roads have potholes. Sites are not very level. Sites are large enough and have ample spacing so you do not feel cramped. Wi-Fi is free but is slow most of the time. We really enjoyed the park but they do need to put gravel down on the sites to level them out and fill the potholes on the road. Staff/owner very friendly and helpful. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: April, 2013 - $35.00

This is our yearly return visit to Nickerson Park. Our site was level with no problems with site hookups. Staff was professional and friendly. Geography at campground is level with open and shaded areas. Campground is clean and decently maintained, though I noticed no changes or improvements have been made to the campground the past two years. We enjoyed this campground and would certainly return or recommend this place to anyone. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: April, 2011 - $35.00

Again enjoyed our stay. Our site was level with no problem with site hookups. Staff professional and friendly. Geography at campground is level with open and shaded areas. Campground is clean and decently maintained, though noticed no changes or improvements have been made to the campground the past few years. Would certainly return again. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2010 - $35.00

Very enjoyable stay. Owner and staff were very friendly, helpful, and accommodating. I had a waterfront site and it was beautiful! Campground has a Sunday morning worship service which is very nice. Park and grounds were very clean and well maintained. For the price it's a great deal, and very family friendly. If you're looking for a wholesome, affordable and enjoyable stay: this is the place place to go! I would highly recommend this campground. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: April, 2010 - $35.00

Level campground with mix of open and lightly wooded sites. I would recommend the riverside sites which are large and have privacy hedges. Water pressure, power, cable all fine. Wi-Fi was just Okay. Again found staff friendly and helpful. I do agree with other review that campground would do well for it's self to improve the appearance of the entrance road. Also last year all I had was a garden hose run from a nearby water spigot to rinse my RV sewer hose at the campground dump station but this year I had nothing, campground needs permanent non potable water "at" the dump station. I don't consider these major issues and would certainly return or recommend this campground to anyone We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: October, 2009 - $27.00

This is a clean and quiet park with level sites on the Nepaug River in northeast Connecticut. Beautiful surroundings adjacent to State Forest. Wonderful hiking. Friendly and helpful owners. Propane available. Open all year. We will definitely stay here again. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2009 - $30.00

Entry is dumpy, owner is not particularly friendly, no amenities (laundry, pool, activities) just a place to park on or near the river, which is very nice. There are very few sewer sites available for the traveler, most are taken by seasonal trailers. As another reviewer noted, there is a Super Wal-Mart within 10-15 minutes. Also a new Tractor Supply and Home Depot in same shopping area, with ample restaurant opportunities. The CG supplies cable TV, but the Wi-Fi is $6 extra per day. No security or gate at this park. In my opinion this is expensive for what you get. There is a COE campground 10 miles away that is a gem by comparison. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2009 - $30.00

This is a nice campground for a good price. It costs less than most others in the area. Our price included electric, water, sewer and cable in a pull-through. The entrance looks sort of dumpy with ruts in the road and RV storage near the front, but the grounds are grassy and clean. The staff is friendly. There are lots of seasonal campers, but we were there in the middle of the week, and there were very few others there. I expect it gets busy on summer weekends. The Wi-Fi works well, but costs $6 a day. You have to pay for showers, but 25 cents is longer than I usually stay in the shower. I would like the water to be a tiny bit warmer, but there's no temperature control. The restrooms are clean. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: April, 2009 - $30.00

There were very large sites. This is the perfect place for fishing or just getting away to be close to nature. There is no store but it does have a few items you might need. The staff is friendly. There is excellent fishing and hiking at the campground. It has cable T.V. and electricity right on the water. I camped in April 09 and had a great time. We camped at Nickerson Park Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Featured Campgrounds Near Nickerson Park Family Campground

Are you affiliated with Nickerson Park Family Campground ?