Rocky Neck State Park

East Lyme, Connecticut

244 West Main Street (Route 156)
East Lyme, Connecticut 06357

• Sports Field Sports Field yes
  • Amphitheatre Amphitheatre yes
  • Ocean Ocean yes

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $20.00

Experience was good during our stay at Rocky Neck. The grounds are beautiful, and the ability to walk around the park on the hiking trails or walk down to the beach is a great aspect. I was a little upset to see that the grass was not cut recently (looked overgrown and uncared for) and although the abundance of trees around the camping areas was quite nice, they were not maintained/trimmed to the point where I needed my girlfriend to spot the fifth wheel trailer as I zigzagged down the roads to avoid taking my AC units off my roof or gouging the sized of my camper. The site I initially booked was NOT able to fit my camper as it was described, there was a large cedar tree with branches protruding into the site approximately 75%. Luckily, with one phone call to the front camping office, they were able to switch us to another nearby site. Being that Rocky Neck is a CT State Park, they offer a dump station on site, which was not usable during my stay due to a large branch hanging well over the entry road to the dump station. I would not have been able to get my truck through, let along my camper. My one word of caution to people looking to stay at Rocky Neck State Park is to be aware and careful of the untrimmed trees as I mentioned before. But please do not take my review as a "bad time" while camping here. We both loved the scenery and location, and will be looking to come back, barring the need for the park service to maintain the grounds a bit more first. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

EGRET 36
Asphalt, Sand
Not big enough for my 5th wheel

Within the park itself, there is easy access to Rocky Neck State Park Beach, as well as easy on and off from I-95 (within 5 minutes from campground) to access local town such as Niantic, Mystic, and a close run to the Mohegan Sun Casino. Many fun things to do in the area.

Date of Stay: August, 2012 - $30.00

We have gone to this campground for a couple years and plan to go for at least one weekend a year. The beach has two sides, one side is deeper than the other side which was great for the kids. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2012 - $20.00

Nice - Very Clean Park, Military,Disabled & Disabled Veteran Friendly. Staff is incredibly Friendly,Sites are very accessible and well groomed. They don't have any Water Sewer or electric hook ups, But do offer clean rest rooms, showers and Convenient Dump Station near the main entrance. Every site has picnic table and fire pit/ring, you can have a generator but if its not rate "quiet - 55 decibels or less you have to shut it off for sleepy time. Large field to enjoy games and other things, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to Rocky Neck Beach. Great Location, Great Rate for the amenities, they would have gotten a 10 if they had water/sewer/power. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2012 - $33.00

This is right off I-95 between New Haven and New London and is situated on the Long Island Sound. Easy off and on. We camped here for one night since we were so close to home in RI. There are 160 wooded and open sites located in five sites. We were in Osprey loop and it was very nice. There were only 11 other sites taken because it was during the week. The campground had been full for the holiday weekend before. Our site was well shaded. You can ride bikes down to the beach and along the refuge - interesting. It cost us $33 because we were from out of state - expensive for dry camping. They also charge you $3.00 for a reservation fee even if you don't make a reservation. There is concession, dump station, showers, salt water fishing and swimming. No pets are allowed. There was an incident during the evening with one of the campers about ten sites away from us and the rangers, local and state police came quickly and removed the person camping. I think he had too much of something! Leaving the next morning the check in lady says nothing like that ever happens here. I was impressed how they handled the problem and how quickly it was resolved. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2010 - $30.00

Huge park, near Niantic. No hook-ups available, but we really enjoyed staying here. Park features shady sites and sites in the open field. We were given the choice upon arrival. Nice beach is part of the park. Restrooms and showers were not quite clean, though. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: June, 2009 - $15.00

Nice state park with no hook-ups. Went with a group, as we do yearly. Staff are constantly driving around checking on cars parked on the grass and unauthorized parking. Other than that pretty nice place. Nice beach, hiking, and biking. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2009 - $15.00

I've been going to Rocky Neck for over 20 years. This year we stayed at Rocky Neck June 26-29. We were in the Crane area with a group of 8 other camp sites. We normally go at the start of the camping year. Rocky Neck is one of the nicer state parks in Connecticut. But thanks to Gov. Rell the price doubled from $15 a night to $30. We booked our site for June 2010 in Oct.'09 before the prices doubled. This could be our last year going to Rocky Neck. $30 a night for a site with no water, electric or sewer is way too much. $15 a night we would do. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: August, 2007 - $18.00

First of all, this is a State Campground that only offers dry camping. The grounds are very nice, the sites are good size, and the beach is nice as well. Most of the sites are occupied by tents, but there are a fair amount of RVs. We usually come with our RV, but this time I camped with my son in a tent. Very little security for the middle of summer and the staff that were present were college-aged kids. Some campers were up late and loud, this is a turn off for me. We camp frequently in our RV and I always run my fan just to avoid the late night noises. The park has nice open fields and is bike friendly. The park offers some nice hiking as well. As a resident of the State of CT, I would like to see a little more care and services for campers, i.e., camp store and security through out the evening. One negative is that many kids run and ride through the sites. All in all it is a pretty nice place. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Tent.

Tom

Date of Stay: May, 2007 - $15.00

We had a very good time staying here. The bathrooms are clean and the showers worked well. A cleaning crew showed up at 7:30AM each morning we were there. Although campsites are not next to beach, they are not too far away. A nice walk, easy bike ride, or quick drive. Salt marshes full of animals. No playground, but in the middle of the campsites is a huge amount of room for playing catch, frisbie, or just let the kids run around. There are also a few "community" fire pits around if you want to build a Big fire. Individual sites have very good fire rings with built in grills that you can slide out of the way, but you may want to use your own grill on top of it. Some negatives - a lot of rules. Vehicles are not to be on grass, only one vehicle per site, etc. Read the rules. Dumpsters, at least for us, were not readily visible. Not that I want to see dumpsters, but they should be easy to locate. Water spigots are available to fill camper freshwater tanks, but are hard to find and not all sites are near one (bring extra hose). There was a sign for a "Camp Store", but we couldn't figure out where it was. We will be coming back here. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2006 - $15.00

Overall, Rocky Neck State Park is a nice campground. The sites were a decent size, generally flat and paved. However, we probably would not camp here again for a couple of reasons. First, the beach was too far away; a 1.5 mile drive from our campsite to the beach parking lot. Second, the bathrooms could use some help. Third, there was no playground that we could find. We camp with small children and it is inevitable that someone will need something back at the camper after having arrived at the beach. Having said that, the beach is awesome for small children. Being on the LI Sound, the waves are gentle and the water is very shallow for quite some distance from the beach. We enjoyed swimming during the day and watching the sunset (on the beach) at night. The beach was also very clean. Regarding the bathrooms, they were cleaned every day, had hot showers and were otherwise acceptable. However, the shower curtains had a healthy amount of mildew on them. Near the end of our stay, the cleaning staff must have realized this and decided something needed to be done, because someone cut the bottom two-and-a-half feet off of each curtain. As a result, the shower curtain barely hung below your waist! Not only was this a little unnerving, but everything you brought with you into the shower stall got soaked. There was no playground. You can only play frisbee or throw a ball around for so long before the fun wears off. It would have been nice to have a couple of swings and a slide to mix things up. I should mention that a "nature center" was just recently re-opened after having been closed for 5 years. It had a nice collection of indigenous snakes, turtles, etc. for the kids to look at. Also, the young man that worked here was very knowledgeable and offered to take us on nature hikes. If we did camp here again, we would avoid camping near the tent sites. The tent sites only have port-a-lav' s available. Thus, we had a steady flow of tenters passing through our campsite to use the full service bathrooms in our loop and wash their dishes. If you do camp here, make a trip to the Submarine Museum at Groton. It was very nice. It is also free. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: May, 2006 - $15.00

Nice park with level paved sites. Only Crane and Egret loops were open and they had some trees but none that would give any real shade, the sites seemed fairly open. Sites are about 20 x 35 with just enough room to park the toad next to the RV (we have a 30 ft class A). Potable water was available at the dumpstation and dumpstation was easy to access. Nice home base for day trips to Mystic Seaport and the Mohegan Sun Casino. Park has a small beach not far from the campground. Only drawbacks are no electric and no pets. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2006 - $15.00

This is a nice primitive campground. There is a mixture of large open fields and wooded areas. The sites in the loop that we stayed in were all paved and surrounded by grass. The kids could ride their bikes around the loop without too much worry of traffic. Easy access to dump station at park entrance. We would stay here again. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: August, 2005 - $15.00

We just returned from an 8 night stay at Rocky Neck State Park. We were quite pleased with the park generally but I should point out that it is our preference to camp at state/provincial parks because they typically are more natural and have a rustic flavour with lots of trees, hiking, etc. The campground offers both wooded and open sites. There are more open sites so if you want a heavily treed lot you should call ahead. I think the best wooded sites were from #1 to # 16 and 22 to 36 in the Osprey campground. If you are looking for open sites with only a few trees, the Crane, Egret and Heron campgrounds would be your best bet. Most of the sites are large. The campground was clean and well cared for. The only real drawback was the lack of electric sites (which many state/provincial parks now offer). The campground was usually reasonably quiet which was nice. The fact that dogs/pets are prohibited makes it even quieter (but would obviously be a problem for those of you who like to camp with your dog). The park staff are fairly vigilant about enforcing rules but I found some of the rules rather unusual. I never did figure out why they insisted that your truck/car must at all times be backed into the site driveway (and you will get a reminder notice on your windshield if you forget and park the other way). Also, I wish I had known in advance that they do not allow any ropes or lanterns or anything hanging from trees. We usually hang a clothes line and had to improvise for the beach towels etc. Many people brought wooden hanging racks which I would recommend. I read a review on another site that suggested that alcohol is prohibited but that in fact is not the case. The park beach is wonderful - very large with soft white sand but I should mention it is a very popular beach and is accordingly pretty crowded at times with day users. You can walk or bike to the beach from the campsites. There is lots of crabbing and fishing at the park. The crabs are plentiful and many people come to the park just to crab. We caught a few and barbequed them over the fire - an interesting first experience which the kids loved. The hiking trails are pretty good although not very long. The park is in a great location to launch day trips of New England which was an added bonus. We also took the train into New York City. Basically, as far as location goes, you couldn't find a better base for exploring and doing tourist stuff. One thing I found strange was the lack of places to buy fire wood which I've never really encountered in an area where camping is located. You're better off bringing your own. In summary, I would recommend Rocky Neck State Park if like us you do not require all of the amenities of a private park but are looking for a lovely natural area with a beautiful beach in a wonderful location that has much to offer for summer camping vacationers. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Tent Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2005 - $15.00

If you do not mind dry camping this place is great, all roads are paved and sites have a paved drive, fire ring and large table, along with about 6,000+ sf of space per site. if you go with a small group and reserve three to four sites you can have a very large area for the kids. There are numerous marked walking trails and the beach can be walked to or you can drive or ride a bike. Bathrooms are cleaned every day with free hot showers, but can get buggy due to the lights, there is a dishwashing station at every bathroom. We camped here on the 4th of July and we were very surprised at how quiet it was for a holiday weekend, you could hear a pin drop at 9:30 pm every night. We camp here in a travel trailer as much as possible every year. We camped at Rocky Neck State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Aces High RV Park

Mystic KOA

North Stonington, Connecticut

Seaport RV Resort

Old Mystic, Connecticut

Countryside RV Park

Griswold, Connecticut

Are you affiliated with Rocky Neck State Park ?