River Bend Campground

Oneco, Connecticut

• yes-river Waterfront

Itsatrip

We camped here with 2 other families. There were 9 kids from ages 5-10. The good: Sites were big under tall pines in the area that we camped. This gave us great shade. We had W/E/S, and our site was relatively level with only a few roots around the big pine trees. Owners are very nice. Craft time was fun for the kids (free for 1st craft, $1 for the second) and the lady running it was very patient with my detail oriented son who took a long time to finish. Pool was clean, but got crowded. There is mining and panning available for a fee (I thought was reasonable), our kids loved this. Camp store was reasonably priced too. We camped within sight of the pavilion and the older playground. A second playground that the kids loved is closer to the office. This was in good shape. There was a nice level loop that the kids could ride their bikes around that was in sight of our site. There is also canoeing and boat rentals, as well as mini golf and a museum all for a fee, but we didn't do any of those things. The area that we were in had us in contact with only one seasonal trailer, and they were super nice to all of us. The bad: There was a group of tenters right next to the pavilion that had a pitbull. There is no policy on aggressive dogs. Front desk told me that they would keep an eye on it. I just kept a close eye on my kids! I have a dog of my own but would never bring her here because there were dogs everywhere with no restrictions on where they could go as long as they were on leashes. This may be good for some, but not all dogs can handle lots of kids running around nearby: like pit bulls. At the dance pavilion, there is a concession stand. After waiting in line, with no one behind us, we were told by a rude girl, that they were now closed. Bathroom toilets looked clean but had lots of cobwebs and spiders hanging around. (I know, this is camping in the woods, but this freaked my daughter out.) Overall, I liked the campground, but was really concerned about the big dogs around. I would definitely camp here again, but I will wait until after the season is over, and ask about the dogs. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Travel Trailer.

McNamara's Band

We stayed here Columbus Day weekend which coincided with their Halloween celebration. This was a blast and virtually each and every site participated. Not much else to do here as far as amenities go, but they do have a nice fishing lake. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Motorhome.

raven64

Although this campground was rather small in size, we were very happy with our stay. It was clean, had enough activities to keep the kids occupied and the other campers were friendly. I encountered a problem with my septic being clogged and the Staff tried very hard to help me fix it. I am sure we will be back in the future. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Grafton  MA camper

THE GOOD: Large campsite, friendly staff, reasonably clean facilities, trash pickup at your site, good mix of sun or shaded sites. THE BAD: Pet policy allows aggressive breeds. There was a pit bull in a site that was 10 feet from the pavilion. I chose a site with a direct visual of the play area (next to pavilion) so my kids could go alone but, the pit bull made that impossible. There was also a Rottweiler a few sites from us that was supposedly friendly but went ballistic at every other dog walking by. We did speak to the owners regarding the pet policy and was told rabies certificate is all that is needed. Play areas: both need updating. There is only one swing seat and one infant seat. The other play area near the office is showing it's age, being splintered. Our children did enjoy the "train" style wagon ride, just remember to bring a dollar as it isn't a free ride. CONCLUSION: I will probably not return due to the pet policy. Aggressive breeds should never be allowed in campgrounds catering to families. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Travel Trailer.

meatwagon45

We visited with another family and got 2 sites side by side. The main site was a corner lot (125) and very big. Our other site (B2) was smaller and "rooty". We have 3 seasonals near by and they we polite to us visitors. The "cul-de-sac" we are on is more of a driveway and better suited for popups and tenting. Area is nicely wooded and helped keep the heat down. Restrooms and playground are close enough to use but not have to stare at. We have 4 kids with us, ages 2-4 and the seasonal kids were very nice to them. My 2 year old son was tossing the football with 12 year olds. This place feels secure and security did not make itself overly noticeable. Staff is friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed our 3 night weekend. We would have given this place a higher rating but the lack of cable TV and the charge for activities and showers brought it down. I would recomend renting a canoe and taking a ride down the river. An hour is plenty of time to go down and back. The night time entertainment was good and not overly loud from our site. Riverbend has an area dedicated to tent and pop-up campers (Fort Oneco) within the campground. Riverbend is on our list of places to return to. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Fresd

This was our fourth year here. Campsites and facilities were just fine. It rained very hard the first two days but the sites were well engineered and drained quickly. Ambiance and scheduled events were slipping. The owner told us he may not accommodate tent campers in the future as they are "more trouble then they are worth" and we were visited by several really strange campers that put us ill at ease, so we may forgo this site in the future. I believe it is great for the trailer campers, but not right for those of us in tents. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Tent.

Tom

Update: This is our 5th year camping here, and we had a great time at the Cowboy Weekend. New buildings are going up. The staff and all campers are great, even with the disruption of construction. I am increasing my rating from my previous report (7) to a 9. My family and friends always have such a good time here. This is a busy, active family campground. We will be returning! We camped at River Bend Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Fresd

Third year here. Has been improving from year to year. Unfortunautely, their main building burnt down off season. On the good side, the new buildings are, well, newer. They are upgrading the shower/toilet facilities. Very quiet and peaseful, prior to the July fourth weekend. All was clean and orderly, and staff was even more friendly than last year. Will return again before the end of this season. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Tent.

Thomas Beau

It was early season so the pool hadn't opened yet. But it looked well kept. They had just had a fire and lost their main building. The new one was being built and the office was nicely set up in a large trailer in the parking lot. We had a good time and would return again. The only bad thing is there is NO cell phone service at all. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

traceyl823

Super nice staff. The campground is a little older and could use some spiffying up but they make up for that in their hospitality. Many extras for the kids including mining and activities. Would recommend. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Motorhome.

Fresd

This campground, staff and facilities, was very friendly. The entrance was a bit confusing, but the staff made up for it. Bathrooms and showers in the wooded area, were rustic but clean. On-site there were plenty of activities, especially great horseshoe tournaments with some local "ringers" that make it very challanging. It can get a little noisy at night though. Off-site attractions locally, were sparse. We were within reasonable distance to some great wineries and the casinos. We will return at least twice this year. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Tent Trailer.

User367

Let's just start by saying we have camped here for the last 6 years.. Our very first impression years ago was, to say the least, not good. But, by the end of the weekend, we were hooked.. We have returned every year since for their Columbus day weekend and a few times during the summer.. Yes, the bathrooms are rustic but they are clean. When we first starting going there were a few older trailers, seasonal I think, that definitely needed upgrading but since then the new owners have been doing a wonderful job of keeping the place updated. I would recommend(and have) this campground to anyone!!! We camped at River Bend Campground in a Tent Trailer.

AceCamper1

This review is in response to the previous review. We are frequent campers at River Bend and hope to become seasonal very soon. The seasonal waiting list is long as well it should be for this wonderful campground. The last review mentioned that the seasonal sites are dirty and rundown, are you sure you were at River Bend? I can think of at least 5 or 6 sites off the top of my head that are absolutely gorgeous well maintained sites. The bathrooms here are very clean, I have seen the staff cleaning them numerous times during the day. Are they new? No. Dirty? Not even close. The reason we decided to start camping here in the first place was due to the amount of activities they offer for not only kids but adults as well. There is definitely not a charge for all activities, the "extra" activities there may be a nominal fee. I challenge you to find a park that does not charge for any of their activities. The entrance I do agree is not a straight shot, but if you take it slow and follow the sweep of the road it is not a problem. I do it several times a year with my 35' motorhome and have no difficulties. River Bend has the same rules that most parks do, they even make you read and sign the pool rules when you check in. The staff are there to keep the park in check and make sure that everyone is having a good time, if a camper wants to have a few drinks I don't think it is up to the staff to monitor them. The security personnel do a great job making sure the people in the park are safe and secure. The store is not unlike most convenience stores, so the prices, I think, are not any different from my local Cumberland Farms. Plus its a great place to socialize and get to know other campers. I plan on many more years of camping at River Bend and other campers should go there and see for yourselves how wonderful it truly is. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Motorhome.

Kreg

Where do I begin. This campground is run down and the dirtiest I have seen in the fifteen plus years camping. Even my 11 and 9 year old son's commented on how bad the bathrooms were. The seasonals are dirty and rundown. Every activity had a charge. Do not judge the campground by the web site, totally different. The entrance/exit for the campground is POORLY designed. I had trouble getting in with a twenty seven foot trailer. Very little rules and LOTS of intoxicated people! The camp store was very expensive for food type items. (1/2 gallon of milk was over four dollars)! Many of the seasonal people have dogs and would leave them tied up outside to bark all day. We will not return. We camped at River Bend Campground in a Travel Trailer.

familymatters

We stayed for 5 days and had the very BEST family camping experience. I can't say enough about the nice and family orientated staff at Riverbend Campground. Christmas in July was the theme and every weekend is something different. We enjoyed FREE movies, popcorn for 10 cents and a FREE DJ. Also, every child got FREE hotdog and fries and got a special present from Santa. If Mom or Dad forgot the gift, this loving and caring staff made sure no child was left out. I never saw so many smiling faces. I found the pool clean, the sites shaded, excellent water pressure, and everyone was able to use air conditioners. We got great food on Friday night (no cooking needed), snacks on Saturday, (great wings), and blueberry pancakes on Sunday. Our family got to relax and enjoy the many activities. The mine was fun, finding gems and panning for gold. The animal room was FREE and WE thought we were at the Bronx zoo. For the value, this place was incredible, we are going back for another week. Book early. They are a FAVORITE family place, and now I know why! We camped at River Bend Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with River Bend Campground?