2 Terrible

177 Gibson Hill Rd
Sterling, Connecticut 06377

Elevation: 515' (approximate)
  • Big Rig Access Big Rig Access no
  • Restrooms (Plumbed) Restrooms (Plumbed) ?

Date of Stay: May, 2012 - $42.00

We were shocked at the condition of this campground. Drove in and right back out. Did use the restroom, and it was clean, but I was over come by the smell of Lestoil cleaner! Play ground was on dirt with no mulch, grass, pea stone, etc. Sites are one on top of the other, and the roads are terrible. I am notifying KOA to go and inspect this campground. You would even have difficulty riding a bicycle. NOT a typical KOA campground. Do not go to this campground! We camped at Sterling KOA in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2011 - $54.00

Our site was adequate. We had huge rocks to drive over, but once we were set up, we had a nice view of the road. We enjoy when they have a burger shack so we can enjoy not cooking occasionally. Unfortunately, the burger/ice cream shack "Bubbas" that they advertise never opened and they told me it's because of the economy. I was disappointed in the condition of the pool. It was also very cold. There is nobody to pick up trash. We had to drive it to the back of the campground which was an extremely rutted road. That was a terrible inconvenience. There were no activities for any children to participate in. There is a nice playground though. We camped at Sterling KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: October, 2010 - $55.00

This was our first trip to this campground. We went with another couple. I had to send multiple emails to get answers to my questions. Two days before arriving, I still had not gotten the information about final prices due to "bring a friend, camp 1/2 price" that was listed on the website, but not verbally told to us on the phone. Upon arriving, my husband and the other husband camping with us had a terrible time getting into the sites. They were far to small for our 35' fifth wheels. If we had not been with the other couple, we would not have been able to use our fire ring, canopy or picnic table. As it was, we used the empty site next to use for the campfire due to the small sites. On Saturday, we went up to the store between 9:30 and 10:00, but it was closed. There wasn't any firewood and we ended up going to another campground to look around and buy wood there. The DJ was to start at 7:00, but it was much later before that happened. Dogs were howling around the clock for 2 1/2 days. I was double charged for one site even though several emails confirmed that both sites would receive the 1/2 price for the weekend. It is not a place that I would recommend if you want activities or have a large camper. We camped at Sterling KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: June, 2009 - $36.00

The campground store was hardly open and did not carry the basics. The snack shack wasn't open all the time. The campground was a dump. The owners were rude and always left the campground. There was not enough for children to do. There was an awful sewage smell! The roads were horrible. Would not go back even if you paid me. We camped at Sterling KOA in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2006 - $39.00

This is the worst campground I have been too. When I called to make reservations I dealt with a very rude person. I let that slide, could have been many reasons why she was rude, so I still made the reservations. Big mistake on my part, should have known. The sites were so small, I have a 27' trailer and that was all that fit on the site, we put the awning out and it hung over the site next to us. I was told that we would get a wooded site and when I asked for a site number while making reservations she said don't worry you will get one. So I asked again this will be wooded,I was told yes (still refused to give site number). Well I am not sure what the rest of you think, but wooded to me means trees on the site or behind. Well we did not have one tree on the site and behind us was a ledge with a 20' drop to a sand pit I think was suppose to be a volleyball court(no net, just a mound of sand). There were maybe two trees around the sites next to us, but when camping I do not call that wooded. This whole campground looked like a trash dump, not the trailers that were there but all the public areas. If you go to the website all the pics are blurred for a reason. The bathrooms where awful and there was a pond(if I dare call it that) that smelled like a sewage dump. There seemed to be mostly seasonals there so perhaps they felt that they did not need to have activities or anything for children. My daughter also said the pool looked disgusting and was bored with nothing to do. I could go on and on, there is so much wrong with this place, let me just leave it at This is the worst campground I have ever been too. Did I mention that the owner was the rudest I have ever dealt with as well. We camped at Sterling KOA in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Sterling KOA ?