Holly Lake Campsites

Millsboro, Delaware

Floodedcamper

This campground needs maintenance. Roads are bad and sites are sometimes covered with leaves. Pool is nice though. It is in a very nice forest and people were very friendly. If you like a neat and clean place, you won't like it. But if you prefer a quiet spot in the woods, you might like it. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Tent Trailer.

Jeff & Terry

We went here for the Memorial Day weekend. Large shaded sites. Unfortunately, they were covered with dried leaves and sand fleas. The fleas covered everything and everyone by 9 am each morning. All amenities - pool, activities, wildlife viewing, petting areas, etc were a 20 minute bike ride from our site. Gate that led to amenities was supposed to be unlocked, but was only unlocked once for 6 hours. Paid for full hookups, but sewer was only a pipe (no cap on many of the sites) laying sideways on the ground. When we or the neighboring sites dumped, odors were horrific. Would not recommend this park. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Motorhome.

Super Tank

Well, I booked this trip BEFORE I read the reviews - almost a big mistake. First, the roads are as bad advertised. I have a 26' TT, and the twisting, very bumpy roads consistently put me within inches of trees on both sides. Drive VERY slow and you can make it, but I have no idea how a big rig can get through there. My biggest complaints about the park all took place within the first 2 hours of check in. The lady at the front desk gave me a map and in big black marker showed me exactly where to go to get to my site. If you go, DO NOT FOLLOW HER INSTRUCTIONS! These are pull through sites (if that's what you want to call them), so I followed her instructions. Very nearly got stuck / damaged my TT following the road the WRONG way (you needed to loop around and come from the other direction). So I get to my site, and it is a mess! It was a former seasonal site, and was full of trash, concrete cinder blocks, broken up sewer hose, etc. The sewer hookup (only found it by tracing the old sewer hose, under a pile of leaves) was about 50' from the water and electric, they were on opposite corners of the lot. After 20 minutes of trying to figure it out, I called back to the office and moved a couple spots up to where I could make it work. There were all seasonals around me, and an abandoned trailer in the next site (someone just dragged it there on flat tires, broken awning, etc). The site was a good sized lot, and flat. So that's the bad part, but this place kind of grew on me. The seasonal neighbors were all friendly and helpful, the pool was decent, and the location was excellent. They have a large animal area with goats, deer, and donkeys. There is another area with three very big peacocks and a lookout platform that looks out over the marsh area. The tower was a death trap, though - don't let small kids go unattended! This park is very large, and broken up in 2 large sections. We stayed in the section closest to the main gate and camp store. The sites in this area (the park looked ~90% full) were ALL seasonals, so that may account for the difficulties I had getting set up. The other section might be a little more over-night friendly. The bathhouse was OK, but was a horror-show one morning, so I never went back. (I don't blame the park for the disgusting behavior of some people) I can understand the low ratings, based on the frustration I felt the first day. But this isn't that bad of a place, and is probably a great place to have a seasonal (it's pretty cheap). We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Travel Trailer.

Don Wood

Worst campground we have stayed in. Sites are not clear of leaves and sticks. There are big holes where trees were pulled out. Roads through the campground are horrible. Pot holes everywhere. We could not even put our canopy out due to a huge crater on our site. I would not recommend this campground to anyone. The only campground personnel we saw was a guy picking up the trash. The only upside I can think of is the people in the office were very nice. Will NOT stay here again. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Travel Trailer.

TRW

We arrived late at night around 9:30pm and were told to go to site 207. Site 207 was too small for our 21' Trailer so we had to spend the next hour looking for a site that we could park our trailer. The roads were narrow and not well maintained, with lots of pot holes. The camp ground caters to extended stay campers so a lot of the sites had trailers in various state of disarray. This campground is not for weekend campers of anyone who wants a nice place to stay. No TV or Internet is available and the price is $50 per night. Way over priced. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Travel Trailer.

fisherking

This was a very clean well managed campground. We would happily camp here again. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Fifth Wheel.

NEEP46

At the last minute we chose to go to the shore. After many phone calls and a lot of laughter on the other end of the phone and against all other reviews on this site I called Holly Lakes. My reservation was eagerly accepted and we went. I parked by the office and viewed the main entrance, which had a large tree leaning over the road which made entrance to this section with my large motorhome impossible. I sent my wife to register while I unhooked my toad. She returned with the registration, but no directions or map. After I approached the registration lady about the problem, I was directed down the road about a mile or two to their off site campground. With no assistance we entered a road which turned into a cow path, full of potholes and ruts, with large trees leaning over the road. A sane man would have turned and ran, but I had promised my granddaughter a week at the shore?? When we finally got to the campground we were met by a card entry gate. As I had already taken my toad off, I was able to enter with the motorhome, but my wife had to wait about 20 minutes to use the card to enter with the toad. The campsite was very spacious, long and wide. The power was good and steady even with two air conditioners and the microwave running. The water was clean and tasteless, we drank it?? The sewer hookups were a little shaky, but usable. (My rating is for the campsite, note any of the surrounding amenities) We used the pool once, but were chased out as someones child dirtied the water. The pool was in the main section and we had to drive to it as it was about 2 to 3 miles from our campsite. Because of the inconvenience, we only went to the pool once all week. It was actually easier to get to the beach, except that route 24 going out to route 1 has been designated the busiest road in the state of Delaware (per the local newspaper). We spent long periods in line at the traffic lites on route 24?? The staff was very nice and courteous. Unfortunately our section had a lot of seasonals with a lot of trash around their RV's, with dogs tied to trees and barking all times of the day and night, (but no blue tarps). Now the best part, I very quickly realized that I couldn't get out of the campground on the exit road?? Luckily there was a person on the gate on our departure day and I was able to exit through the entrance. This park needs a lot of maintenance and road improvement, and tree trimming. Definitely not worth the price we paid?? This wasn't the worst park we've stayed in, but it is getting the number two spot on my list?? We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Motorhome.

Bounderman

Large campground with nothing to offer. We stayed here only because it is close to family that we like to visit. We did not plan on spending a lot of time at the campground, and that is a good thing that we planned it that way. Our site was a 2 mile drive from the registration office. Site was back in a desolate area. Roads were nearly passible, I don't know how we did not get stuck. We had to plan a strategic exit to escape, since the roads are all one way, so you are forced to drive the loop. If you go against the flow of traffic, there are spikes in the road that will dammage your tires! The ruts in the roads were the obsticals that needed strategic planning to exit while towing with the motorhome. All of the comfort stations were out of order and disgusting. We were desperate for some laundry facility and found only rusted out, old, dirt filled machines that were severly neglected. This place has no business being in buisness. Wouldn't stay here again if you paid me. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Motorhome.

weathershak

Watch out for low hanging branches and poorly maintained roads. Food is excellent at camp store. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Travel Trailer.

challenger36

Our adventure to Hollylake Campsites almost didn't start out very well, we arrived on Thursday 5-24-2006 at around 8:00pm only to find that all of the conveniently located check-in windows were closed. Luckily the employee who was living in the house attached to the store saw the 4 36 foot campers my group and I pulled up in and was nice enough to come out and check us in. However it only got worse from there. When we got to our sites they were literally woods, I mean leaves 10" deep, scrub trees about 16" tall and grass in the area that were clear about 2 feet high. You could tell that at some point in time these were campsites but not for a while. One of the unit with me actually had to put his truck in 4 wheel drive to make it through the leaves. It's a good thing we had 3 teen-age boys with us and we all carry rakes in our campers. After the boys raked for a while we realized my site had a trench running through it where the had just ran water lines through it to other area of the park but decided not to cover it back over with dirt. That would have been good for my 11 month old daughter just learning how to walk to find. We told the staff we were very disappointed with the conditions of our site and there comment to us was "we just paid someone to mow the grass out there they must have missed them sites, we will send someone out to check on it." Need less to say no one ever showed up. I wouldn't recommend anyone stay at this campground, at least not in the back area where we were at. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Fifth Wheel.

TikiKen

We made our reservations 4 days in advance and looked forward to a nice vacation. Activities for the kids, strolling along Holly lake, and relaxing by the pool. When we arrived, there was a sign stating the pool was closed, truth is, it had never open for the season. I had found this out from a seasonal camper, he said it was later and later every year. This wouldn't have upset me but there was no mention made when we made the reservations. There were other things like: 1) no activities for the kids other than the weekend. 2) Most transient sites were covered in three inches of rotting leaves and when I went to find a rake at the office I was told someone would be out, never came. 3) Camp store looked more like the hardware aisle at 7-11. Very little use and all over priced. 4) Bingo is held in a storage barn where the keep the farm equipment for the petting zoo. On a warm evening it's pretty ripe. 5) The roads, some of the turns are so sharp I had to three-point-turn with just my SUV. I couldn't imagine doing it hooked-up. There was good to be found also, the staff in the camp store/diner were great, the sites were wooded and fairly level, and petting zoo, gotta love a petting zoo. I don't want you to think Holly lake is bad place to stay, this could be a premiere campground with some work. So if you go, just ask questions like "Is the pool open?" and be prepared to rake. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Travel Trailer.

Motorhome Madness

We visited during off season so we cannot rate the facilities. We had a site in the 3rd section the farthest from the store. There is no walking here, in fact I'm not sure a golf cart could make a round trip. The signage to the campground was insufficant even in the daylight. (We arrived just after dusk.) The several outside walk up windows for check in, are a good idea. Receiving directions and traveling on county/state roads to get to the 3rd campground section, we approched a small sign pointing down a driveway. This was the entrance. I stopped halfway in to ask a passerby if it was indeed the entrance, as it looked very unaccommodating to RV's. Was narrow, pot holes, gravel, dark, no signs, many leaning trees and branches. The roads within the campground were the worst I have had to maneuver through. The sites were very large, ours was large enough for 30' 5th, tow vehicle, awning as well as an additional vehicle and a boat. They have a very convenient snack bar and grill, but go somewhere else!! I was so hungry I could have eaten road kill, but neither my son or I couldn't finish their subs. Friendliness of staff was average to above average. It is apparent this campground is seasonally oriented as many in this area. Next year for the Punkin Chunkin, we may try somewhere else. We camped at Holly Lake Campsites in a Fifth Wheel.

Are you affiliated with Holly Lake Campsites?