Big Oaks Family Campground

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

Longitude: -75.1312004

Bonnie66

Nice park with decent sized sites. As mentioned in other reviews, this is a cash only park which would have been nice to know before we got there. There is a no-fee ATM at the convenience store right down the street. The location was super convenient to several beaches, shopping, and restaurants. My only complaint is that the cable did not work unless we fed the cord from the box in through a window, which meant leaving the window open and it did rain while we were gone so we had a mess to clean up, but no water damage. The Wi-Fi never worked and they tried to tell me that it was my phone and Kindle that were the problem. I was able to get a connection on both when I left the campground and went to a public Wi-Fi spot. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Motorhome.

MattFromPA

We stayed here as it is the closest campground to Rehoboth Beach. We weren't looking for a traditional camping experience, instead we camped as an alternative to a hotel. We were there to go to the beach. That being said we had a good stay. Since it was after Labor Day, the pool was closed. We kind of expected that but our kids could have enjoyed it. Our site was wooded and we asked for that. Many of the transient sites are out in the open though. Most of the sites are seasonal/permanent. The road through the campground is tight - I felt lucky to leave without hitting a tree and my TT is only 21'. Our site was sandy and not entirely level. A staff member helped me back in - no pull-throughs here. I used leveling blocks but they actually sunk into the sand. The sewer hookup was far to the rear of the site, and there wasn't enough of a drop so I needed to 'help' the black water make its way to the outlet. As I was preparing to leave I couldn't remove my sewer adapter from their connection. I ran to the office to ask for a strap wrench, and within a few minutes an employee showed up with a wrench. Staff was friendly and the campground is family-owned. We would stay there again. Only real negative was the cable TV - they recently re-wired everything and you can get a cable box for a deposit. The service would sometimes stop and an error message would appear. Don't know if this is something Big Oaks can control. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

letsgorving

Mostly seasonal, small, oldish campground. Must pay cash & you never get an email or letter that they received your "check" for deposit. They never send or give you a campground map. Sites are very close. Difficult to get our 39ft RV in the site, even in the so called "big" sites. Has the basic amenities on a small scale. Staff is friendly. Store is full of confederate stuff, did not bother us. Bathrooms old, but clean. Parking is horrible in Rehoboth beach. Chose this campground so we could "ride our bikes to the beach." This ride is longer than they tell you. The bike trail is lovely, but once you hit the town, very difficult to ride to the beach. Wouldn't do it with small kids. We did it only once, then had to drive. Would check out other campgrounds in the area if we were to come to Rehoboth again, since the ride to the beach did not work. Just OK. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

User492

Positives: convenient location to outlet shopping, shady sites, nice pool. Negatives: confederate flags everywhere, the sites turn into sandy mud pits when it rains and quite a few other campers seemed to have permanent, decrepit trailers. The flags were such a turn off, we probably won't camp here again. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Motorhome.

infidel

Not a bad place if you don't mind being packed in tight. We didn't mind since we didn't spend much time at the site. I thought it was expensive considering it was off season. Since we don't camp during July or August because of the crowds, I can't tell you how this place is peak season. I would imagine it isn't too pretty. Owners are nice and helpful. We've been camping here on and off for the past 20 years. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Silv1441

We stayed one night. This is a small campground with tight maneuvering. Would not recommend for Big Rig's. Pool was clean, with a lifeguard on duty. Restrooms were clean and tidy. Campstore was small and did not have much to offer. Staff was pleasant. I would not stay here again due to the park's size and cost. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Motorhome.

Wilderness31

I gave this campground a bit higher review then what it really deserves. The sites are really close and the hookups are in the front of the sites. So bring plenty of sewer hose. The people at the park are very helpful and extremely nice. The pool is small. My familly and I came here knowing that most of our time was going to be spent at the beach. The shower/bathrooms were clean but the lights in the shower were not working. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

univmd

Campground served its purpose in that it was close to the beach and had shuttle service to the beach every half hour. Site was very tight and very unlevel for our big rig, even though we were in the largest full hookup sites right across from the pool. I would not call it a big rig park. Tires on passenger side were lifted off the ground by levelers, bring and use plenty of wood blocks to help level. Most sites are super unlevel, main reason for 5 rating. Our site was on sandy grassy spot, no pad. Managers were fair, fully stocked store with grocery items. Observation: store carried many Confederate flag items, quotes, rugs, plates, etc. Even the garbage truck displayed a confederate flag as well as a neighboring campsite. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Motorhome.

disneymom427

We were a little wary of staying at this campground due to some of the reviews posted. I'm so glad that we decided to stay. We had a great site close to the bathrooms, pool, playground and office. The bathrooms were very clean in the morning but showed some wear and tear by the evening. Staff were there 1-2 times a day cleaning the bathrooms. There is a bus that will take you to the boardwalk and beach which is nice because parking there can be difficult. They offered some activities but we didn't know what they were because they didn't give you a list at check-in. But who needs those when you have so much to do in the area. The pool area was nice and they had a great playground with a huge pirate ship to play on. Be aware, though, that they only accept cash at check-in. There were some downsides to this campground. There are some sites that are not very nice and we would have been unhappy had we been assigned to them. Also, some of the seasonal campers look pretty bad and are in need of repair and a good cleaning. However, we would stay here again. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

camper6161

The only good part of this campground is location. If you like dirt roads,small sites and rude owners then you may like this campground. Don't expect much put a parking spot for the beach. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Travel Trailer.

brelacey

We just returned from 5 days at Big Oaks and I have to say that this has to be the poorest run campground I have ever been to and I have been to many.The only good thing that I have to say is that it is close to the beach.The campground is run by 3 people and believe me that is all that you see; it seems that they are there to take your money and that is it. When you go in the office they are sitting in easy chairs and they do not get up to talk to you. They stay right in their chairs. Upon arrival I was given a paper with my site # with a piece of scotch tape for my rearview mirror. We were never given a map of the park, no activity list, and never a welcome. If you have kids and they like to swim then you might be OK since there are no other activities except 1 on Saturday (ours was a father's day craft) which older children are not going to participate in. There is a snack bar open on Saturday and Sunday (breakfast only) It's as if these people don't want to hire help,but they do not want to work either. Why couldn't one work the snack bar, one plan activities, and one work the front desk? For the price of $ 54/night I expected a lot more. We were put in a spot where permanents had just pulled out, and we were under water for most of this trip (I know they cannot plan the weather, but they could control the condition of their sites with gravel and grading).We talked to many unhappy permanents and seasonals that stay just because of location. I could go on and on, but let me just finish with the staff is very unfriendly; the place is a muddy mess and if you want a campground with lots of fun, this is not it. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

nedneon

Beach resort campgrounds can be notoriously overcrowded, noisy and poorly maintained. Not so at Big Oaks in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Although every inch of space is utilized and your neighbors are very nearby, the wooded sites offer a feeling of privacy and are mostly well planned. Restrooms and showers are cleaned regularly and in excellent condition. My only criticism is that for the amount of people camping here, there should be a few more. Nice pool, game room, friendly helpful staff. The DART bus stops here every 1/2 hr. or so to take you to all beaches and boardwalk. Well worth the $2.25, ride all day fare since traffic and parking can be a mess near the beaches. Cape Henlopen State Park is a 1/2 mile down the road also. I will absolutely return. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Tent Trailer.

home on wheels

This was my second time at Big Oaks. It is located between Rehoboth Beach and Lewes. One of the seasonal owners told me about a bike trail that is part of the Henelopen State Park. Some of the trail is shaded. This park also has its own bus stop. The bus takes you to the bus station where you can take another bus to Rehoboth Beach. Big Oaks requires a 5-day minimum stay paid in cash when you arrive (minus the down payment). This family-owned campground was very helpful in helping me find a time I could visit. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Motorhome.

EDDawson

I have stayed at Big Oaks Campground for 3 consecutive summers now, and am planning my 4th summer vacation there this year. My family and I love it there. Though the sites are fairly small, there is plenty of room for 2 tents and a screen tent. Two cars can be parked at the entrance to the site. We have requested a specific camp site the past few years, and our request has been granted. "Our site" is very close to the pool and the restrooms, as we have a toddler, convenience to the facilities is a must! There is running water and electric hook-ups for all the sites, and wireless internet is available at the deck area near the pool. They playground is also nearby, as is the shuffle board court, which the kids seem to enjoy. The pool is adequate, and has a life guard on duty at all times. The snack bar provides decent enough food while at the pool. I have never had a problem with restroom cleanliness, as they clean them several times a day. Only problem I have had is that when they are cleaning them, we have to go across to the other side to use those facilities (not a big deal, really) I guess, for people who like campgrounds for all the amenities (game room, etc) it is a little lacking, but we camp there because we are going to the beach, not to hang around the campsite all day! The store, located in the office has all the supplies that you need, specifically ice and milk and bread! The only thing I would like to see added here would be a coffee bar, so that you could go get a cup of coffee first thing in the am before you are awake enough to brew your own. LOL We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Tent.

Bounderman

Small campground with little to no activities. We were placed next to the garage with the garbage collection truck inside. The site smelled like a dump, literally. No place to turn the rig around after check-in, and the roads would not accommodate a 35 footer with car in tow. Staff was not very friendly or helpful. We camped at Big Oaks Family Campground in a Motorhome.

Are you affiliated with Big Oaks Family Campground?