8.6 Excellent

Fernandina Beach, Florida 32034

• Full Hookup Full Hookup no
  • Sewer Sewer no
  • Beach Beach yes

Ask fellow campers about "Fort Clinch State Park" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: May, 2018 - $28.00

Overall it was a great experience. We camped in site 54 (river campground) which was large enough for our 40' motorhome. Did not use the restrooms or showers. The camping area was clean and most sites were spacious. The edge of the campground is the river, which has a beach that extends to the Fort. Great spot for a sunset. We scraped a few branches on the canopy road from the gate to the camp site. Larger limbs which could be hazards are marked and can be avoided. If your under 10' height, probably will not be an issue. We would camp here again. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Motorhome.

54 River Campground

Hiking trails run along the canopy road, shared with bikers. Fort Clinch is worth the admission charge - informative/historical. Just outside the entrance is a Greenway bike/hike path. Has several side paths and easy walk or ride and a public beach access short distance east (turn left at park exit).

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $26.00

This is a lovely state park. The drive in is about 2-3 miles and along a "canopy" road of live oaks with hanging Spanish moss - just beautiful. There are two campgrounds here - the Atlantic beach site which has about 20 sites and is the first campground you come to. The River site is about 3 miles in and has more sites. The river campground is also the older one so the restrooms are a bit dated but still quite nice, clean and functional. The river campground offers more privacy and has a small beach at the end where you can watch the sunset over the Amelia river. The beach campground is less private but we actually preferred it here - perhaps because its a short walk to the beach and you can hear the ocean from your site, reducing the noise from any neighbors. The beach campground is newer and the facilities a bit more modern though both were very clean. This is a very popular park and can be hard to get into. There are plenty of places to ride a bike, walk, hike, etc. There is also the Fort to visit which is very interesting and educational. Downtown Fernandina Beach is very historic and a great walking town with nice restaurants and shops. There is a trolley here too which can take you on a tour of the area. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Motorhome.

23 - 19
Asphalt, Dirt

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $26.00

I scrubbed these reviews and am so surprised that no one has commented on the odor from the paper mills. Either it is rare and we were just unlucky, or it does not bother people. The state park is wonderful, so much to do but honestly, I would not return because we thought the odor was terrible and it was persistent over several days. We were on the river side, I suspect it may not be as bad on the ocean side. Okay, having said that - the fort and all the trails are a major plus for this place. The bathhouse is the best we have ever seen, new and clean, even the shower curtains. Our site was just "okay" (24). It was shallow and wide so not very private. It felt like we were on a stage (time for the campfire scene!) It took some time for our site to drain after a heavy rain but it was fine and not muddy by the next morning. Several sites on the opposite side of the loop looked nicer, more narrow and deep, especially site 53 which also had plenty of vegetation on each side. I think site 40 and maybe 41 had a view of the river beach, which is sandy and the river is very wide at that point. 39 would have a nice view from inside your rig but your picnic table is on the wrong side for a view. A lot of people bring their chairs out to the beach to watch the sunset. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Travel Trailer.

River 24
Sand

Gilbert's Underground Kitchen doesn't look like much from the outside but the food is wonderful. I'd suggest a reservation, we stopped in late in the afternoon after being out all day and they rushed us through our meal. Which was okay with us. Careful with the restroom - it is unisex and the door does not lock properly!

Date of Stay: January, 2018 - $26.00

We pulled our coach into our beach loop back-in site for a great view of the beach and ocean right from our front window. That did put the water and electric utilities on the wrong side of course, but that didn't cause us any problems in reaching them. The park is very quiet, and there's a nice walkway across the dunes to the beach. Deer could be seen browsing through the dunes each evening, and boats passed by fairly often, including sub tenders from the Navy submarine base across the St Mary's River in Georgia. The power was very stable, and water pressure adequate. The AT&T cell signal was good, and the Verizon signal was fairly weak but still usable. Over the air TV stations from Jacksonville are easily viewed here, and all sites in this loop have a clear satellite view. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Motorhome.

Many stores and restaurants are located in nearby Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island. A tour of Ft Clinch is a must...

Featured Campgrounds Near Fort Clinch State Park

myo

Date of Stay: October, 2017 - $13.00

Spent 2 nights. Site was level and we had plenty of room. We stayed at the river campground, plenty of shade. The beach campground was total exposure without a single tree. We had a short walk to the inlet where you can fish (flounders a plenty) and catch gorgeous sunsets. The park is beautiful, the fort very interesting. We rode our bikes to the fort and the beach. The only drawback is that the site are dirt, no gravel. We had to be aware of not tracking dirt into our campers. On a rainy day you would probably deal with mud. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Mosquitos were not an issue but were around. In rainy season or rainy days that might be more of an issue so be prepared to deal with them.

Date of Stay: September, 2017 - $26.00

Beautiful state park in a great location. Beautiful drive through Spanish moss-encrusted oaks; plenty of nature to be had. We frequently saw deer while driving in and out of the park. The beach is beautiful and uncrowded. The fort makes for an interesting few hours. I wish we had brought our bikes; there are many roads and trails to use. Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach are a great destination -- lots of things to do outside the park. If you're considering it, just go. You won't regret it. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2017 - $30.00

We stayed in the Atlantic beach campground. It was really nice. The bathrooms and showers were clean and temperature controlled. It got a little warm if there were lots of people showering, but was otherwise comfortable. Our site backed up to a sand dune. The scenery was awesome. There was not much room between sites, but it did not feel crowded. Few trees in the beach loop. If you want shade, go to the river loop. I can't wait to go back to Fort Clinch. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Travel Trailer.

The beach is gorgeous, but take time to visit the fort as well. If you like to bike, this is a great place for it. Lots of trails.

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $30.00

I had read a lot about this park and was so excited to finally arrive. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed. I chose to stay in the shady River Loop. It took me at least a half hour to get level in my 28 foot MH. Of my 5 month trip, it was the least level site I had. Worse was the noise at night. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the paper factories. Even with all the windows closed, all night long I heard beeping. I'm not sure what it was, but it was the kind of beeping trucks make when they are backing up. Literally, it was all night long. I stayed one night, canceled the rest of my 5 night stay and would not stay at this campground again. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Motorhome.

Dirt, Sand

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $14.00

We camped here for 4 days at an ocean side site. There are is also a river campground with more secluded sites. The park was beautiful and our site was terrific with views of the dunes and beautiful sunsets. The sites are close together but no worse than other campgrounds we have stayed in. The fort was quite interesting and well restored. A nice piece of preserved American history. A must see if in the area. We would stay here again if in the area. momdoc. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Motorhome.

Be careful driving the main road as many trees are pretty low and if you are too close to the side of the road you may lose something from the roof or scrape you RV

Date of Stay: February, 2017 - $28.00

I guess for a park that spans hundreds (thousands?) of acres I was expecting a little more elbow room between sites. They have all this land and yes I'm top of my neighbor. Very little privacy and I had no idea my site would be paved (site 25). In looking around I did see some better spots, but still no elbow room compared to some other state parks I've been too. That said, the restrooms were immaculate, the hiking trails were fun, and the fort is awesome. The pier was closed and will be indefinitely due to the hurricane. Beach looked nice but it was too cold to go. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Concrete, Asphalt

Date of Stay: January, 2017 - $28.00

We were on the beach loop, and access to the beach and ocean is excellent there via a relatively short boardwalk. There's a swimming beach and long fishing pier a long walk or short drive away, although the pier was closed due to hurricane damage when we were there. We really would have liked to see more space between the sites given all the open land available, but I wouldn't call the sites crowded in though. The water and electric hookups were well placed within easy reach, and worked well with good voltage and water pressure. Our Verizon and AT&T cell services worked well, and we had a completely clear sky view for satellite reception. The campground was very quiet at night with just the inevitable wave sounds to help us sleep. Our stay at Ft Clinch was overall very pleasant, and we will be going back. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Motorhome.

There are a number of restaurants and stores nearby in Fernandina Beach.

Date of Stay: January, 2017 - $28.00

Fort Clinch has 2 campgrounds: one on the beach side and the other on the river side. The beach side is more big-rig friendly because it's more open and no trees to get in the way. But there are a few sites on the river side that can accommodate a big rig, just pay attention to the site description. We have a big rig and although we like the beach side, we actually prefer the river side because the sites are more private. Site 30 is awesome! It's very spacious and private. Like most FL state parks, you need to reserve well in advance because they book up early. We are fulltime RVers who work remotely and need Verizon coverage for work. We were able to get a good Verizon signal at both the beach and the river side campground. The sunsets on the river side are so beautiful! The fishing pier on the beach side is really nice but unfortunately it's closed due to hurricane damage. Hopefully it will re-open soon. The fort is fun to visit and there are also lots of nature trails, bike trails and a nice playground for kids. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: January, 2017 - $24.00

Yet another great example of Florida State Parks! Like another reviewer, we were lucky to get a last minute reservation at this busy campground for the weekend. We stayed on the River side and the sites were nice and large and mostly private with lots of tree cover. We were steps away from the River/inlet. The facilities were sparkly and large, with nice showers, laundry, etc. We rode our bikes on the trails in the park (quite a bit more technical riding than we like) and outside the park. The trails outside the park are numerous for bikers and hikers/birders. Just a great place for being outdoors. We rode our bikes from the River side to the beach camping side and found two wonderful hammocks on the beach to lay in for a spell. Saw the sunrise from those hammocks! Great campground! We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Travel Trailer.

Gravel, Sand

Spacious, Nearby

Bring your Bikes and hiking shoes!

Date of Stay: November, 2016 - $28.00

Nice place! Level sites, outstanding shower rooms and 2 sets of washer & dryers. The sites have water & power, a picnic table, a fire ring, lantern hook and a clothes drying line between two poles. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Motorhome.

We walked along the beach & were able to tour the outside of the fort.

Date of Stay: October, 2016 - $13.00

We were shocked to have actually been able to obtain a reservation at this park which we have been trying to get for a couple of years of RVing. Once we arrived we were able to change from the river campground (lots of shade) to the beach campground (no shade) and stay an additional night. This is another beautiful Florida State Park with wonderful views, convenient to the Fort, great biking, hiking and beach walking. The biggest drawback is the problem of being able to obtain a reservation since they book up 11 months in advance. From the ranger check in building to the campground is over 2 miles and there are many low branches so beware of your height. Restrooms and showers were spotless. We would definitely return if we can get a spot here. We camped at Fort Clinch State Park in a Motorhome.

Gravel, Sand, Grass

Plenty of shopping in nearby Fernandina Beach. Be sure to visit the Fort, it is well worth the $2 admission.

Featured Campgrounds Near Fort Clinch State Park

Are you affiliated with Fort Clinch State Park ?