Miami, Florida

Miami, Florida 33177

Recent Rate: $15 3/2017

• Overflow Parking Overflow Parking no
  • ATT, Verizon Cellular Phone Providers Cellular Phone Providers ATT,Verizon
  • Central Modem Central Modem ?
  • yes-lake Waterfront Waterfront yes-lake
  • Volley Ball Volley Ball yes
  • Ping Pong Ping Pong yes
  • Lake Lake yes

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $34.00

This park is even better than the last time we stayed here because the WiFi has been upgraded. I get great WiFi anywhere in my motorhome. No cable but we are close to Miami and get it all over the air. Comfortable site, easy to back in. Not much shade, but a great walking area. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Motorhome.

pod 2 site 8

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $34.00

Staying here reminded me of the "Bell Curve" that we learned about in high school. The beginning and end of our stay were bad but the middle was very good. Let me elaborate. We checked in and were directed to our site. We easily backed in, even though it was on my blind side. We set up, disconnected the tow vehicle, and it was then that I saw the problem. Someone prior to our stay must have been doing repairs here, as my wife and I found finishing nails, 3" drywall screws, wood screws, metal screws, and at least 4 dozen pop rivets (used and unused) all over the macadam site. This was unacceptable! Of course we had already backed in and set up, so I spent the next hour checking my tires, 4 of which had run over this mess, and collecting what we could see. I put everything in a bag, and took it to the office. They apologized, but by that time it was too late. I had already driven on the screws and nails. I don't completely fault the campground because they can't check every site upon someone departing, but someone from the park had to see what was going on and should have reported it. The middle part of the stay was good. It is very quiet at night, even though the park is in the middle of the city, and the people were friendly. Then the other end of the Bell Curve. At 9:10 AM on our check-out day (check out is 11:00 AM), a family in a Class C stopped and indicated to me that this was their site and they wanted to know when I was leaving. I am normally out of a campground by 10 AM, but I hadn't even showered or dumped the tanks yet so I knew it was going to be at least an hour or more. What infuriates me is that the park would allow someone to check in at 9:00 AM to an occupied site when the check out time is 11:00 AM. Unfortunately, we won't be staying here again. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Pod 4 site 3

The water spigot is at the front of the site so make sure you have enough hose.

A-J

Date of Stay: March, 2017 - $15.00

We stayed in this RV park for the winter. The sites are large, some with shade. They are laid out in a circle, like the spokes of a wheel, so there is extra space at the back end of the site. The restrooms, showers, laundry and pool are all clean and in good shape. We plan to come back every winter. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

loop 1 site 10

Date of Stay: December, 2016 - $34.00

Very nice place. Close to many attractions. Zoo and (water park - seasonal) nearby although we didn't have time to visit them.

Park is setup in 11 pods with 14 to 20 back-in sites around the edges and 2 pods with 5 pull thru site each. Stayed for a week but could have stayed longer. Maybe next time. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

2-27
Asphalt, Grass

Don't let them put you in a handicap site ( I think these are the pull through sites ). I don't need a handicap site but when you ask for a pull through, you may get one of these. All the pull thru sites seem to be curved like a banana, making them a little weird. All the back in sites are large enough that even I could back in. And they are much more private and have more room to park extra vehicle.

Date of Stay: December, 2016 - $19.00

Only way to make a reservation is buy phone. Administration Favoritism makes it very difficult to make a reservation. Camp ground gate stays open all night long. There is a security patrol in the area during the nighttime. Not much restrictions of who's coming in . Never seeing no one cleaning the bathrooms. Internet service worst I have seen, unless you come equipped barely get any . Very poor phone signal.pool stays open only 4 days of the week for 5hours a day We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Travel Trailer.

Loop8 site10

Date of Stay: November, 2016 - $34.00

Have you noticed that county/state parks generally get better reviews than comparable private parks? I'm not sure why that is. We chose this location since we wanted to visit both Everglades NP and Biscayne NP and it is more or less equidistant to both. The campground is part of a large park which includes a lake and water park (not open this time of year). Overall, it's a good campground but I see it as average or slightly above average. The campground has wide asphalt driveways and asphalt site pads. We had site 7 in pod 4. It was mostly level but we had to substantially raise the front and right side. I think all sites are back in with full hook ups. We had 50 amp electric. There are trees but we were able to get a satellite signal. OTA TV is strong as well. Free WiFi worked well and was generally reliable. Restrooms were clean and there was a large laundry facility. There is a pool but it seems to be closed during the week at this time of year. AT&T 4G signal strength was -108dBm which is about average. We paid $34.15 per night including tax. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Motorhome.

Pod 4 Site 7

Date of Stay: November, 2016 - $34.00

This S. Miami campground offers 50 amp, full-hookup sites large enough for the longest coach. The asphalt pads are a bit narrow, so if you have driver's side slide-outs, you'll need to set up on the far right side of the pad to avoid hitting the concrete posts on either side of the pedestal with your slide, but the grassy space between sites is really quite reasonable, much better than being lined up awning to awning which is common in S. Florida in the winter. The $565/month rate, all-inclusive year-round is the best deal anywhere! Great location for exploring Miami, Biscayne and Everglades National Parks, or attending races at Homestead-Miami Speedway! Sites in Pod 1 are best for large coaches and satellite TV reception. Pool is only open on weekends. Watch for fire ants! We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Motorhome.

Pod 1 Site 8

Several Farmers Markets are right down the road.

Lots of traffic passing by the entrance road, but the campground is far removed from traffic noise.

Many shopping and restaurant choices within about 20 minutes.

Date of Stay: November, 2016 - $34.00

Eight identical "pods" where there are maybe 10-12 sites radiating out from a circular drive, like a wagon wheel. Circular drive might be difficult for larger motorhome (ours was 30' and didn't have an issue). Average sized lot, with trees, and easy to use hookups. OK staff, but not what I would call friendly (more like "helpful"). Internet was good. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Motorhome.

8-1

Get the first or last number in each pod for easier in and out. 8-1 is very close to very clean restrooms & showers

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $30.00

Very nice county RV park with paved roads and wide, long and level paved back in sites. Many towering trees for good shade canopy and lots of grass. Some sites can get satellite signals. No cable tv, good antenna TV, OK open wi-fi, good cell signal. Pool only open on weekends. OK for big rigs. Sites arranged in circular pods with inner and outer sties. Each pod has RR, shower and laundry facility. Cannot request specific site, if you can't get sat signal they charge $15 to change sites. Park clean and staff helpful. Close to Miami Zoo on south side of town. Will stay there again. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

pod 1 - site 1

Date of Stay: April, 2016 - $28.00

Just the best of experiences! Our site was level asphalt with plenty of room between us and our neighbors. Grass and trees made you feel like you were far away form Miami, but in fact you were right in the middle of the city. There were great, I mean really GREAT walking and hiking trails. A big plus was the laundry facilities that were right on site, clean and reasonably priced. We did not use/participate, but there is a pool and planned activities. The park also had obvious summer activities around the small lake, including a water slide and "beach". This campground is a best kept secret as far as I am concerned. We would definitely come back to this park. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Pod 2 Site 4
Asphalt, Grass

Sunny Open, Mostly Shady

Close to the Miami Zoo, shopping, and easy access to the Keys and Miami Beach and other attractions.

Date of Stay: December, 2015 - $28.00

We paid a weekly rate plus an extra day rate with no discounts. Did not get to use a lot of the facilities because of weather conditions. Creative use of RV sites which worked very well. The campground and park are in 2 different areas which keeps traffic out of the RV sites. Fairly large wooded sites. Heated swimming pool, two large laundry facilities, several garbage collection bins and a friendly staff. We would return to this campground. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Motorhome.

I-28

You can find many grocery stores on SW 184 Street and the entrance to the Turnpike is only a few miles away as is US Hwy 1. Visit Coral Castle, Monkey Jungle and Fruit and Spice Park which are all located in the Homestead area. There are fruit stands galore where you can get fruit milkshakes (try it in fresh strawberry season) and produce stands where you can get veggies and fruits for your dinner. Easy day trip down to the Upper Keys.

Date of Stay: December, 2015 - $19.00

Great park, great employees, very friendly. Wifi throughout the the park. We stayed there 5 months. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Motorhome.

8-5

Date of Stay: December, 2015 - $29.00

This park is laid out differently then all the other parks we have stayed at. They had circular drives that they call pods, and each pod has several sites, inside and on the outside. If you want a better description, I suggest using a satellite view of the park. Anyway, it looks like it might be kind of tight for some of the larger rigs to back into a site. We have a 39 footer, and we were on one of the outside sites, and while it was a little different backing in, it was not impossible. The hookups were on the side and easy to get to. The staff was friendly and helpful. When they saw the size of our rig, they moved us from a site on the inside of the pod, to one on the outside. One of the staff came out made sure we found the site and moved the picnic table, as we were backing in. The wi-fi worked well with our cell phones and tablets, but not so good with the laptops. The sites were close together, with nothing but a pad to park on and a picnic table. Unlike most parks, you have to park your towed vehicle on the grass. The road inside the park is a little wider than a city street, but the roads in the pods and the pads are narrow. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Motorhome.

pod 7 site 1

Date of Stay: December, 2015 - $20.00

For inexpensive lodging near Miami it's hard to beat this place. The sites are large and level with full hook ups. The staff is super efficient. You can have mail delivered here. The WiFi is great in the cabana (across from office) where there are many tables, AC and bathrooms. The pool looks nice but we didn't utilize it. There are several laundry and shower facilities spread throughout the park. Clotheslines are behind the laundry buildings but not allowed on site. They will provide you with a nice map of the nearest grocery stores and Walmart. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Motorhome.

Loop 3 site 6
Asphalt, Gravel, Grass

Spacious, Nearby

There are many feral cats in the park next door and some in the campground. You will know it's a "community cat" by the notched left ear. This indicates it has been captured, neutered, given a rabies shot and treated for parasites and released back in their area. We had the pleasure of fostering a little guy I named Will Feral for the month we stayed.

My husband really enjoyed biking in the area along the canals.

Date of Stay: April, 2015 - $17.00

Miami-Dade County Park. Very quiet, well kept/neat & pleasant park w/a pleasant staff. Older park so the sites are short and don't have patios (except handicap sites). I had to "overhang" our 39' 5er off the rear of the pad & still had to park the truck sideways in front. Nice pool (11-5 only) w/lifeguard. No cable but free WiFi. Heavy traffic once outside the park. Adjacent to the Miami Zoo. Abundant/variety of shopping is close. Great place to start for day trips to the Keys (45 min. to Key Largo) if you don't want to stay in the expensive resorts on the keys. We stayed a month for $565 including taxes. We camped at Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground in a Fifth Wheel.

Pod 8 site 14

Some Shade, Mostly Shady

Zoo, Florida Keys close, 20 min. to Homestead-Miami Speedway

Are you affiliated with Larry & Penny Thompson Park & Campground?