Sarasota, Florida

Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground)

Recent Rate: $37 7/2016

• Hiking Hiking yes
  • Horseshoe Pit Horseshoe Pit no
  • Ocean Ocean yes

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $37.00

The park was nice and we enjoyed that it was right on the beach. This is our second year going. I will keep going to this park for many more years. However, there needs to be more attention to the cleanliness of the the bathrooms and showers. The laundry area is a bit smelly (sewage) and there are MANY roaches here. It had not happened before, but this year my trailer was infected by roaches and I had to fumigate upon leaving. This is one of down side of this park. The other, is the space to park the trailer is so limited. This year I had a tree that was really a pain to park around. Every year I learn something new on camping here, but really the park is worth it!! Sunsets are amazing, although this year it was a bit more loud, it is usually nice and enjoyable. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles

Visit the nearby Ice-cream shop, amazing!! The Mango Cafe was really nice for breakfast and the Pizza shop is good eating. The Waffle House that's a bit before the bridge on your way in, has good eating and the ladies are great!! You can ride about 5 miles to the most amazing beach in the nation Siesta Key/ Gas prices are decent.

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $57.00

Very small old park right on the beach on Siesta Key. The park is very narrow and difficult to maneuver in with travel trailers. For that reason, it is very restrictive on trailer sizes allowed. The park is also VERY popular and difficult to get a reservation in. This especially so during "Snow Bird" season. Since it is a county owned park, local residents are allowed easier access than outsiders.

This is a great park for families but rules include no pets and no open fires. The park has free wifi, full hookups but no cable. It also has laundry facilities and ice. It's a fun place to stay for a few nights. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Sand

A nice perk for us is walkable access to 3 different restaurants ranging from $Turtle Beach Pub and Restaurant, $$ Turtles Restaurant (our favorite), and finally $$$ Opheilia,s fine dining. Many other options are a short drive away back to U.S. 41 or north on Siesta Key.

Check out the Ringling Mansion and Museum while in the area.

Date of Stay: January, 2015 - $60.00

If you love the beach, this is a near heaven experience. We would suggest taking a spot close to the beach end of the campground. Watch the sunset every evening, and watch the gentle waves of the Gulf every day. The spots are tight, but we are only in a 17 foot RV. The showers and bathrooms seemed recently tiled and clean. We want to return again. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: February, 2014 - $55.00

We liked this campground and will be back for 7 nights in late April, so why the so-so rating? Primarily because you can't see the beach from the sites and the beach is not that great, with two steep terraces to the water. Sites are sandy with overhanging trees that will dump stuff on your rig but provide some shade. There is some noise from the adjacent Turtle Beach public parking until late at night, and the sites nearest the road get road noise, but traffic at this end of Siesta Key is not heavy. Sites are really designed for up to 30' motorhomes. Bigger rigs will struggle to get situated as will trailers and 5ers due to the narrow campground road. Hookups are all situated at the rear of the site making for a 20' sewer hose run for us. Bathroom is old but fairly clean, laundromat is a nice plus. Like others we enjoyed Turtles Restaurant across the street with a bay view (not the pub with a street "view"). So in spite of my stated concerns we'll be back. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2013 - $38.00

I originally reviewed this as a "2" because of not being able to get into the campground site and not getting a response when I wrote asking for a refund. However, on my second attempt emailing them, I did get a written and a verbal response, and I was told that my money is being credited back to my account. The lady explained to me that the sites are small and tight and that situations like mine do arise. She also said that the sites are easier to get into if you are in a motor home instead of a travel trailer. However, that it is a nice campground to access to one of the most beautiful beaches. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $40.00

I gave it a 7 due to the lack of "perks" but, really, the location is THE PERK. I love this place! Have reservations soon and cannot wait. Hoping there will be no red tide but other than that, I expect to have a wonderful time there. It isn't fancy, it's "old Florida" at it's best and staying there takes me back in time. The front spaces that a previous poster stated had been closed off has been converted to picnicking areas for campers with nice tables, grills, etc. This area is fairly well shaded. If you are looking for a "resort" try Sun n Fun, Royal Coachman, or maybe Horseshoe Cove. If you really wanna go to the beach to camp, this is your spot :) We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2012 - $32.00

As other reviews state, the spaces are small but since we were in a 17' Casita travel trailer this was not an issue. Our site had full hookups with Wi-Fi (local 20 TV channels available for small additional fee). It is basically one long street with 40 sites. Has security gate and is operated by Sarasota County. It is all about location, location, location. Walk 100 yards or less west and you are on Turtle Beach, walk same distance east and you are at Turtle Beach Pub and Marina. If you are a beach person this it it. Beach, boating, kayaking. All the things we love. Stayed in June so the summer rate was great. $32.00ish. Will be back. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: February, 2012 - $70.00

The guy below must have been an awful driver. Yes, the sites are not too big, but there is easily enough room to park a 25 ft trailer. Sounds like the guy just had a bad experience with the druggies and let it cloud his judgement. Great location for the beach and deathly quiet at night. Wi-fi was very in and out. Showers good and laundry, too. Excellent restaurant across the road, an absolute must if you stay here. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $50.00

This is the place to be if you love the beach. You have to really LOVE the beach to overlook some of the other glaring issues. One: the sites are really small. Before we booked, I read some of the other postings on this issue but I didn't think I'd have a problem. I have a small 25' travel trailer. I thought: how small can they really be? They are very small in length and width. Not only are you almost on top of your neighbor but there isn't even enough room at the end to turn around. We had to stop traffic on the main road (midnight pass) so I could back in. It was a very stressful way to begin my beach vacation. Two: our neighbors smoked pot almost the entire weekend. I have a small child. You can imagine the two do not go hand in hand. Three: the showers are just like any other public beach shower. Sandy, old, and in need of repair. These were one of the worst I've seen. But despite all this, if you really love the beach this is the place to be. I've decided, I'm more of a pool person and will be camping elsewhere. $50.00 a night is too much to spend just to have beach access. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Tent Trailer.

Date of Stay: December, 2010 - $25.00

Once established campground was wonderful with beach access steps away from 5th wheel. Only problem with this site is sites are very close, and very hard to get into. Otherwise great experience, and would stay again. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2010 - $40.00

If this campground were in the middle of the state it would rate a 2. But it is not In the middle of the state, it is right on the Gulf of Mexico on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Turtle Beach is just South of Siesta Key and the sand is white, you can walk out in the water for 50 yards and still only be waist deep, and the water is very clear on most days. This campground has the beach and that is all it does have. The sites are small but once you are here if you wanted a beach, then this is the best you are going to get almost anywhere. Outside the campground there are numerous places to eat and spend time in the evening but on the campground it is all beach. The bathrooms and showers are kept fairly clean but are usually sandy. We love the beach so we really like this place. We stayed for a couple of weeks and our nightly cost includes the extra charge for AC and all taxes. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

rv1

Date of Stay: April, 2010 - $50.00

This campground was ok. The sites were VERY tight, we had a 31 foot motorhome pulling a car and we almost didn't fit. I had to back the car right next to RV, that took 90% of sitting area. The people that run this park are VERY strict about rules and are always out in-between the hours 8am and 5pm, then they went home and people did what ever they wanted. I heard from other RV's that Sarasota wants that land to put up high priced hotels, so one mess-up with rules and bye-bye campground. Now the good. Walk 20 feet and you are in the ocean; go about 10 miles down the road and you are at Siesta Key Beach, a very cool beach. Go about 20 miles other way and you are at Venice Beach, another cool beach. Our beach was good: had lots of sea shells, was never crowded and was nice to walk out of the RV right to the beach. We would camp here again, but without the car. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2009 - $42.00

Located on beautiful Siesta Key, this tiny gem is right on the Gulf. Pets are not allowed. It's a squeeze to get in and out of the RV area and, due to space limitations, you must park your car next door at Turtle Beach Park. But where else in Sarasota can you open your RV door and be on the beach in less than a minute? Fine dining is located right across the street at Turtle's Restaurant and Ophelia's. If you like the beach, this is a very convenient place to stay. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: October, 2008 - $60.00

The last time we stayed, they were undergoing a beautification project here and at Siesta Village. I personally love it here. Nothing fancy, but you won't need that with the beautiful blue Gulf of Mexico at your footsteps. Sunsets are not surpassed. There is alot to do on Siesta Key and Sarasota if you want to venture out. Can't wait to stay here again this coming April. This time I'm bringing my sis along. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2008 - $33.00

When we first arrived, my wife and I did not like the place at all. This is probably one of the least appealing places we've ever stayed. The sites were very small, and it is basically setup like an alley with dirt camp-sites on either side and one small paved road through the middle. The campsites on the right backup to a 6 foot wood privacy fence with a couple 2 story condos/houses right next to it. One of the houses overlooked the campground. The left side backed up to a chain-link fence with a parking lot for beach access to Turtle beach and a boat ramp. Not very private. There was only one bath-house/laundry and it was showing it's age and had a slight odor of bleach. The toilets were clean and it was air-conditioned, but the place just look dilapidated, with rusty hinges on doors, broken shower latches, pitted shower heads, elongated toilet seats on round toilets, etc... We stayed for a week, and after a few days at the beach the convenience started to grow on us and we began to overlook the shortcomings of the campground. The people in the campground were very friendly, although a couple were inconsiderate blasting their TV's outside and talking very loudly to relatives on speaker-phone. The beach was nice, although some may not like the sand which is brown and black with a rough consistency and tends to stick to everything. There is a white-sand beach further down Siesta Key called Siesta beach if you don't mind driving, but if I were going to do that I would've stayed somewhere else. The park next door had a boat ramp on the inter-coastal water-way. I tried to fish the canal, but had no-luck. There's also bait shop and boat/kayak rentals at the marina across the street. I give it a 7 overall but only because of the beach, the campground would have only gotten maybe a 3 or 4. Also, for some reason they closed off the first 6 sites closest to the beach (the best ones), maybe for environmental reasons now that the county owns it. We paid a weekly rate of $205, plus $14/week for cable and $14/week to run your AC. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Are you affiliated with Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground)?