Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground)

Sarasota, Florida

8862 Midnight Pass Rd
Sarasota, Florida 34242

Latitude: 27.22012

• Pets Allowed Pets Allowed no
  • Beach Beach yes
  • Boating Boating yes

Ask fellow campers about "Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground)" and nearby attractions.

Date of Stay: February, 2018 - $72.00

This is a nice campground right on the beach. The campground is small and all the sites are back-in. We didn't have any problems backing into our site as we have a small RV, but I could see it being more challenging to larger units. There are a few trees and small shrubs between sites, but you are very close to your neighbors. It was mostly sunny with a small bit of shade. We had full hookups and the water, electric and sewer were located toward the back of the site. The restrooms and showers were clean. The laundry room/rec room was large and they had a table set up with a jigsaw puzzle. All the fellow campers were very friendly and helpful. The staff in the office were nice, although the office does close at 4:30 and they do not take cash--only credit card-even for a bag of ice. We did not use the WiFi. There are no pets allowed. The star attraction for this campground is the beach--you walk out the back of the campground and you are right on the beach. Absolutely amazing sunsets! We will definitely be back. There is a Publix supermarket just before you get on the island and a small grocery store in Siesta Key Village (free shuttle to the village). We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Motorhome.

There is a free shuttle (runs about every ½ hour) that will take you down to the village for shopping and it also stops at the Siesta Key Beach. There is a sidewalk along one side of the road. The Marie Selby Botanical Gardens and the Ringling Museum in Sarasota are a must see in Sarasota. The Gardens were absolutely beautiful.

Date of Stay: July, 2017 - $40.00

We stayed over the July 4th weekend and had a good time. The park was clean, the restrooms were clean and the staff very friendly. The sites have full hook ups with cable and I got a strong signal with my remote Direct TV dish. The Wi-Fi also work very well. It is very tight to back in and pull out with trees in bad spots and campers on the other side of the single lane dive in road. Enjoy the fishing and the restaurants directly across the street. Plus it has a few trolley service with a pickup stop just out side the park gate. I will be going back. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

Date of Stay: August, 2016 - $30.00

Love this place, it is a little tight, bit worth it because of the amazing beach, tip, if you are towing a car, use the large parking lot next door to unhook/hookup, also you can get a pass to park car for $5 a day. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $32.00

We have stay at other places on the beach and this is our favorite. Friendly people, beautiful beaches and lots of good restaurants around. We are going back for Christmas. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Sand

Featured Campgrounds Near Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground)

Date of Stay: July, 2016 - $37.00

The park was nice and we enjoyed that it was right on the beach. This is our second year going. I will keep going to this park for many more years. However, there needs to be more attention to the cleanliness of the the bathrooms and showers. The laundry area is a bit smelly (sewage) and there are MANY roaches here. It had not happened before, but this year my trailer was infected by roaches and I had to fumigate upon leaving. This is one of down side of this park. The other, is the space to park the trailer is so limited. This year I had a tree that was really a pain to park around. Every year I learn something new on camping here, but really the park is worth it!! Sunsets are amazing, although this year it was a bit more loud, it is usually nice and enjoyable. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches, Obstacles

Visit the nearby Ice-cream shop, amazing!! The Mango Cafe was really nice for breakfast and the Pizza shop is good eating. The Waffle House that's a bit before the bridge on your way in, has good eating and the ladies are great!! You can ride about 5 miles to the most amazing beach in the nation Siesta Key/ Gas prices are decent.

Turtle Beach Campground, manager at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) responded to this review

We are happy to hear you enjoy our Campground! It is indeed a beautiful location, right on the beach. Thank you for the feedback on the restroom cleanliness. We have recently modified our approach to restroom cleaning and have seen positive results. It is unfortunate that you encountered a roach problem while staying at the Campground! We have not had that particular complaint in the past, nor have we observed any roaches on property.

Thank you for being a guest at Turtle Beach Campground. We look forward to your next stay!

Date of Stay: May, 2016 - $37.00

Location was by far the best thing going for this campground. My biggest issue was lack of security and the staff not willing to enforce the rules once I made them aware of the security issues I had and others using the facilities. The RV camp is right up against a parking lot for the public beach. Beach goers not belonging to the RV camp would come right off the beach, shower and use the camps facilities, then walk right out, in plain view of the staff and never be confronted. This happened all day long. In addition their is only a few barbecue sites with picnic tables. Numerous times when we were there for the week (on two different visits to this park) we observed the locals walk right over from the public beach parking lot and loiter at the RV camp ground ALL DAY! They would have their families (large families) join them and take up the tables and grills. Then of course when we tried to confront them, none of them talked English. Again we confronted the staff and were told that this was a grey area for the county to enforce although the camps paths leading from the parking lot to the RV camp site are clearly marked "Picnic area for RV campers only" but of course this was ignored. If not for these factors I would rate this campground with the highest rating. I am sure this problem did not exist when it was privately owned. All I know is that if this behavior is not curtailed of the locals it will only continue and become a bigger problem. Seen it too many times in states and RV sites all over the country. Speak up about those using the RV camps facilities and picnic area who are not registered paying customers of this camp site. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Motorhome.

Tight Turns, Scraping Branches

Date of Stay: August, 2015 - $57.00

Very small old park right on the beach on Siesta Key. The park is very narrow and difficult to maneuver in with travel trailers. For that reason, it is very restrictive on trailer sizes allowed. The park is also VERY popular and difficult to get a reservation in. This especially so during "Snow Bird" season. Since it is a county owned park, local residents are allowed easier access than outsiders.

This is a great park for families but rules include no pets and no open fires. The park has free wifi, full hookups but no cable. It also has laundry facilities and ice. It's a fun place to stay for a few nights. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Sand

A nice perk for us is walkable access to 3 different restaurants ranging from $Turtle Beach Pub and Restaurant, $$ Turtles Restaurant (our favorite), and finally $$$ Opheilia,s fine dining. Many other options are a short drive away back to U.S. 41 or north on Siesta Key.

Check out the Ringling Mansion and Museum while in the area.

Date of Stay: January, 2015 - $60.00

If you love the beach, this is a near heaven experience. We would suggest taking a spot close to the beach end of the campground. Watch the sunset every evening, and watch the gentle waves of the Gulf every day. The spots are tight, but we are only in a 17 foot RV. The showers and bathrooms seemed recently tiled and clean. We want to return again. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: February, 2014 - $55.00

We liked this campground and will be back for 7 nights in late April, so why the so-so rating? Primarily because you can't see the beach from the sites and the beach is not that great, with two steep terraces to the water. Sites are sandy with overhanging trees that will dump stuff on your rig but provide some shade. There is some noise from the adjacent Turtle Beach public parking until late at night, and the sites nearest the road get road noise, but traffic at this end of Siesta Key is not heavy. Sites are really designed for up to 30' motorhomes. Bigger rigs will struggle to get situated as will trailers and 5ers due to the narrow campground road. Hookups are all situated at the rear of the site making for a 20' sewer hose run for us. Bathroom is old but fairly clean, laundromat is a nice plus. Like others we enjoyed Turtles Restaurant across the street with a bay view (not the pub with a street "view"). So in spite of my stated concerns we'll be back. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: September, 2013 - $38.00

I originally reviewed this as a "2" because of not being able to get into the campground site and not getting a response when I wrote asking for a refund. However, on my second attempt emailing them, I did get a written and a verbal response, and I was told that my money is being credited back to my account. The lady explained to me that the sites are small and tight and that situations like mine do arise. She also said that the sites are easier to get into if you are in a motor home instead of a travel trailer. However, that it is a nice campground to access to one of the most beautiful beaches. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: July, 2012 - $40.00

I gave it a 7 due to the lack of "perks" but, really, the location is THE PERK. I love this place! Have reservations soon and cannot wait. Hoping there will be no red tide but other than that, I expect to have a wonderful time there. It isn't fancy, it's "old Florida" at it's best and staying there takes me back in time. The front spaces that a previous poster stated had been closed off has been converted to picnicking areas for campers with nice tables, grills, etc. This area is fairly well shaded. If you are looking for a "resort" try Sun n Fun, Royal Coachman, or maybe Horseshoe Cove. If you really wanna go to the beach to camp, this is your spot :) We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: June, 2012 - $32.00

As other reviews state, the spaces are small but since we were in a 17' Casita travel trailer this was not an issue. Our site had full hookups with Wi-Fi (local 20 TV channels available for small additional fee). It is basically one long street with 40 sites. Has security gate and is operated by Sarasota County. It is all about location, location, location. Walk 100 yards or less west and you are on Turtle Beach, walk same distance east and you are at Turtle Beach Pub and Marina. If you are a beach person this it it. Beach, boating, kayaking. All the things we love. Stayed in June so the summer rate was great. $32.00ish. Will be back. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Travel Trailer.

Date of Stay: February, 2012 - $70.00

The guy below must have been an awful driver. Yes, the sites are not too big, but there is easily enough room to park a 25 ft trailer. Sounds like the guy just had a bad experience with the druggies and let it cloud his judgement. Great location for the beach and deathly quiet at night. Wi-fi was very in and out. Showers good and laundry, too. Excellent restaurant across the road, an absolute must if you stay here. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Motorhome.

Date of Stay: May, 2011 - $50.00

This is the place to be if you love the beach. You have to really LOVE the beach to overlook some of the other glaring issues. One: the sites are really small. Before we booked, I read some of the other postings on this issue but I didn't think I'd have a problem. I have a small 25' travel trailer. I thought: how small can they really be? They are very small in length and width. Not only are you almost on top of your neighbor but there isn't even enough room at the end to turn around. We had to stop traffic on the main road (midnight pass) so I could back in. It was a very stressful way to begin my beach vacation. Two: our neighbors smoked pot almost the entire weekend. I have a small child. You can imagine the two do not go hand in hand. Three: the showers are just like any other public beach shower. Sandy, old, and in need of repair. These were one of the worst I've seen. But despite all this, if you really love the beach this is the place to be. I've decided, I'm more of a pool person and will be camping elsewhere. $50.00 a night is too much to spend just to have beach access. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Tent Trailer.

Date of Stay: December, 2010 - $25.00

Once established campground was wonderful with beach access steps away from 5th wheel. Only problem with this site is sites are very close, and very hard to get into. Otherwise great experience, and would stay again. We camped at Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) in a Fifth Wheel.

Are you affiliated with Turtle Beach Campground (formerly Gulf Beach Campground) ?